Community interest in Gas planet 2

How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How interested are you in seeing GP2 added to stock KSP

• I am very interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I am somewhat interested in the addition of GP2 (or another gas giant) to the stock game
    • I don't have strong feelings about adding GP2 to the stock game
    • I'm not interested in seeing GP2 in stock, but I want to see other planets added (share below)
    • I don't think any other planets should be added to stock KSP

i support it, i think one, maybe 2 more planets can work without the kerbal system seeming unrealistic and too clustered. but priority should be on biomes for every current planet/moon first.

they should finish that work before they move onto another new planet

we do have a screenshot of gp2... its on the wiki, and if you read its comment, it says thst it was taken from Kerbal con....

Although I would like to see more planets, I haven't actually visited all the ones there are, let alone all of the moons..... let alone all the easter eggs....

BUT I am in full support of gp2 and all of the planned moons.

i support it, i think one, maybe 2 more planets can work without the kerbal system seeming unrealistic and too clustered. but priority should be on biomes for every current planet/moon first.

they should finish that work before they move onto another new planet

This I'm less sure of. The current biome system encourages grindy science. Until it's revised somehow so that there's more benefit to going to new places rather than just spamming missions to the old ones, biomes should not be added to more bodies.

This I'm less sure of. The current biome system encourages grindy science. Until it's revised somehow so that there's more benefit to going to new places rather than just spamming missions to the old ones, biomes should not be added to more bodies.

the benefit of biomes is that you need to keep going to different places, as you extinguish the science in a certain biome. otherwise theres no benefit to going to any planet more than once. it also encorages apollo style missions, except you refuel in orbit to go down again. the lab is the reason for this.

also i want fluff text! jeb loves duna sno-cones

I'd personally love to see GP2 and its moons in the game, btu I would be more excited to see "interesting" celestial bodies. A 4000km celestial body with 15 atmospheres? Great! A system with a barycenter, like Pluto? Bring it on! An asteroid belt? Hot diggity!

Point is, I think the next planets that should be implemented should be ones that push the boundaries of realism; planets that CAN naturally form, but are incredibly strange.

For all those saying they have done all the possile anet types here are my thoughts on moons I would love to see around a GP2

1. They have talked about a planet with a low level atmosphere where the mountain tops extend into space vacuum.

2. A Titan analog the orbits backwards from other planets.

3. A Gilly sized moon just above the gas planets atmosphere. Imagine the views and usefulness.

4. Moonlets, lots of them. I have read that they originally planned 10+ little moonlets for Jool. Still hoping to see it.

5. This probably isn't doable but 2 planets closely orbiting each other around the gas planet.

6. Unrealistic: A planet with so much axial spin you can only only land at the poles as at the equator your required horizontal velocity to match the rotation would exceed the exit velocity needed on the planet.

7. An all liquid surface planet. Would require all new Landing equipment.

7. A planet with a highly irregular elliptical orbit and an atmosphere. Basically a space elevator for the entire GP2 system.

8. A cluster of a 1/2+ dozen Gilly or smaller sized planets all in close orbit representing a broken planet. Imagine the fun of hopping between them. It could be called the rock garden.

I could go on all st but these 8 seemed best.

For all those saying they have done all the possile anet types here are my thoughts on moons I would love to see around a GP2

1. They have talked about a planet with a low level atmosphere where the mountain tops extend into space vacuum.

2. A Titan analog the orbits backwards from other planets.

-snip-

those 2 are one and the same :)

1 and 6 are in Krag's Planet Factory, for what it's worth.

7.2 is a bit problematic. It would have to be either sufficiently inclined to keep clear of the other moons' SOIs, or somehow be in a resonance with all the ones it crosses the orbits of to ensure it never gets too close. Either way, its use as a "space elevator" is somewhat blunted because of that.

On the topic of mods, my (limited) understanding is that celestials are some of the harder things to mod in, due to how they're done in the stock game. That certainly wants revising when Squad get the chance IMHO.

And as we're throwing out ideas, I'll go for a couple of co-orbital planets or moons, a la Janus and Epimetheus. The planetary orbits system would need revising for this though; it doesn't require full n-body gravity, but it does need orbital perturbations over time to be coded in.

Oh yes, one other thing: there should be "Edge of the solar system" and "Interstellar space" altitudes over the Sun that you can reach, with big science multipliers.

8. A cluster of a 1/2+ dozen Gilly or smaller sized planets all in close orbit representing a broken planet. Imagine the fun of hopping between them. It could be called the rock garden.

Okay, this would be really awesome, I love this idea!

3. A Gilly sized moon just above the gas planets atmosphere. Imagine the views and usefulness.

This is MOAR awesome. Actually, can we have this one. Like now? PLEASE! :D

Oh yes, one other thing: there should be "Edge of the solar system" and "Interstellar space" altitudes over the Sun that you can reach, with big science multipliers.

I agree with this too; could be useful when taking a weird orbit to Eeloo (or whatever will be there)

It's interesting question how they could feasibly do a ring. Most of the particles in saturn's rings are between 1 and 5 centimeters (with some larger shepherds). I dont know what flying into into/through it would entail for a craft or the physics engine. It might be as simple as a graphic effect that damages the ship if penetrated at high enough speeds?

Further, a tad smaller, and more difficult moons!...

I have gotten to that point where I can design to go basically anywhere with relative ease (I don't get bored of it, though)

Something new would be spectacular!

I've been thinking about using a solar system modifier mod...

I'm thinking once I unlock the albecurrie drive in interstellar, I'll make a new (smaller) solar system around a red dwarf or something orbiting on the edge of the current solar system, and I'd have to warp ships back and forth

that'd be a LOT of fun.

Edited by User Unrelated

Yeah, it'd be great if you could send a probe way out and beam back info and get extra science the further you are from the sun.

Now that other, nameless features which I was extremely invested in have been cancelled (put on indefinite hold, put through a woodchipper, swept under the rug, whatever) new planets or changes to the existing ones is pretty much all that could get me to come back to KSP beyond taking an hour or two to check the new update's features.

Now that other, nameless features which I was extremely invested in have been cancelled (put on indefinite hold, put through a woodchipper, swept under the rug, whatever) new planets or changes to the existing ones is pretty much all that could get me to come back to KSP beyond taking an hour or two to check the new update's features.

This is exactly the reason I started this thread: To show SQUAD that GP2/more planets is something that is still important to the community, despite the fact that they have not been mentioned in a very long time.

It's interesting question how they could feasibly do a ring. Most of the particles in saturn's rings are between 1 and 5 centimeters (with some larger shepherds). I dont know what flying into into/through it would entail for a craft or the physics engine. It might be as simple as a graphic effect that damages the ship if penetrated at high enough speeds?

I would love for GP2 to have rings, but I would prefer a GP2 without rings to not having a GP2 at all.. As for the rings' implementation, they would probably not be implemented as individual objects, because it would be very difficult to render so many objects. IMO, it's more likely that rings would be implemented as some kind of static particle effect (unlikely) or some kind of non-collidable surface mesh (more likely). BUT I fully acknowledge this is wild speculation outside the scope of this thread.

I would love for GP2 to have rings, but I would prefer a GP2 without rings to not having a GP2 at all.. As for the rings' implementation, they would probably not be implemented as individual objects, because it would be very difficult to render so many objects. IMO, it's more likely that rings would be implemented as some kind of static particle effect (unlikely) or some kind of non-collidable surface mesh (more likely). BUT I fully acknowledge this is wild speculation outside the scope of this thread.

It would be awesome to take the best of both worlds: have the vast majority of the rings be a particle effect/surface mesh, but have an occasional larger piece (or 10) of debris spawn in the ring area, similar to how asteroids are going to be implemented.

I wonder why NovaSilisko has yet to reply to this thread.

In my believe he is a big fan when it comes to thinking about new planets and he has some awesome ideas.

I wouldn't blame him for not responding. GP2 seemed to be something he was working on when he was a dev, so he may not feel comfortable discussing it in case there are still NDA issues. Also, I think I liked one of his posts about GP2 in the OP or shortly after, so he may have nothing more to add.

Or... maybe he's just not interested in the thread. /shrug.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.