[1.2.1] RoverScience Revisted (2.2.0) - Better, interactive science for rovers!

theSpeare

Hey guys!

KSP 1.2 Compatibility Update

See pre-release here on Github: https://github.com/theSpeare/RoverScience-Revisit/releases/tag/2.2.0-A1.

THIS IS A PRE-RELEASE ALPHA. I've tested it and nothing seems to break the game (running without RoverScience, running with RoverScience part), but I need help confirming this before I push an official release out to SpaceDock and CKAN and such.

My free time is getting shorter and shorter these days and if anyone can help me test that the plugin isn't breaking anything that'd be very much appreciated and would speed up this update.

• 2 weeks later...

@Identitools Actually I'm not sure, as I've barely had time to test the (pre-release) Github version on 1.2. I've actually been too busy working full-time now, and my spare time now is spent re-writing the entire source (I'm almost finished refactoring).

I need a bit of help just testing out if it's fine on KSP 1.2. Do you think you can run the https://github.com/theSpeare/RoverScience-Revisit/releases/tag/2.2.0-A1 version on 1.2 and see if it breaks anything? I'd really appreciate a second set of eyes on it. If you can't find any issues I'll publish it to SpaceDock/CKAN.

10 hours ago, theSpeare said:

@Identitools Actually I'm not sure, as I've barely had time to test the (pre-release) Github version on 1.2. I've actually been too busy working full-time now, and my spare time now is spent re-writing the entire source (I'm almost finished refactoring).

I need a bit of help just testing out if it's fine on KSP 1.2. Do you think you can run the https://github.com/theSpeare/RoverScience-Revisit/releases/tag/2.2.0-A1 version on 1.2 and see if it breaks anything? I'd really appreciate a second set of eyes on it. If you can't find any issues I'll publish it to SpaceDock/CKAN.

I would to but i'm not home until one week, will definitively do it when i get a chance :)

@Identitools I'll try and push it now. Thanks for the help!\

EDIT: I've just pushed it onto SpaceDock now. Not too sure what the process is but it should automatically update at some point. I'll leave it for a day and if it doesn't I'll do some more digging.

Edited by theSpeare

Hi all, I downloaded this mod for ksp 1.2 and I was able to play it until today. In fact, today when I lunch ksp it told me this mod is incompatible and I need ksp 1.2.1. Does this mod update by itself?  In case, how can I download previous version and avoid automatic upload? 

Edited by Ginlucks

Hi, @Ginlucks it does not update by itself. What's happened is I have changed MiniAVC metadata values. Every time you open up KSP, it contacts my Github repo to see if it's the latest version. There has been no changes in my mod between KSP 1.2 and KSP 1.2.1, whatever you are using at the moment will work fine. If you are already on KSP 1.2.1 the message shouldn't be coming up.

You just need to download the mod again (to update your metadata file) OR delete the metadata file itself to avoid getting this message ever again.

http://i.imgur.com/R7vi8YK.png. This is the version file you need to remove. Also remove MiniAVC while you're at it.

Edited by theSpeare

1 hour ago, theSpeare said:

Hi, @Ginlucks it does not update by itself. What's happened is I have changed MiniAVC metadata values. Every time you open up KSP, it contacts my Github repo to see if it's the latest version. There has been no changes in my mod between KSP 1.2 and KSP 1.2.1, whatever you are using at the moment will work fine. If you are already on KSP 1.2.1 the message shouldn't be coming up.

You just need to download the mod again (to update your metadata file) OR delete the metadata file itself to avoid getting this message ever again.

http://i.imgur.com/R7vi8YK.png. This is the version file you need to remove. Also remove MiniAVC while you're at it.

Thx for answer! 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 4:05 PM, theSpeare said:

I think I need a better system for prediction though. At the moment if you have 60% prediction confidence, the mod will just do a random roll and if you hit 60% the prediction will read what the actual potential is. Here's the could-be-better part: if you fail the 60% roll check, you will get a random prediction. I made this with the intention of misleading the player if they had low prediction confidence, but at the moment it feels more of a static mechanic rather than a dynamic interactive one. Any ideas?

I know I'm answering way late, but:

Why not just make it uncertainty? Basically, modify the science value by a random amount based on the "value" of the spot.

I actually hacked together a spreadsheet to play with the numbers a bit - these are pretty fail as-is, but it should give you a decent starting point:

(long-after-the-fact edit: Looks like my spreadsheet got eaten :()

All the formulas in the "test" cells are the same as shown (but keying off the correct values to the left.)

Also yup, it's time for me to reload all my mods again and play KSP some more - expect me to whine about bugs in 1.2.2. :wink:

Edit (AGAIN): I failed to include the formula in this version: =( B2 + ( (0.5-RAND() ) * ( (C2 * (1 - A2) ) ) ) ) is what's in the top-left "test" cell. Basically:

Value + ( ( 0.5 - rand() ) * Constant) * ( 1 - Confidence ) ) )

The constant represents a magic number that represents how wildly the value can swing - I think this should be somewhere around double the max science value.

0.5 - rand() gives you a number between -0.5 and 0.5 - and as I type this to explain it, I realize it probably isn't having the effect I wanted it to - the idea is to make it add or subtract the value. I'll bet it should be moved right some...

I'm going to go to sleep and stop editing this before I mess it up more. :wink:

-----

Edit 2: Ah-hah. I was so close. Grouping the 0.5 - rand and the constant gives what I was trying for. You've got a value from -max to max science, multiply it by the confidence, add that to the actual science value, and it'll give you a value that gets closer and closer as your confidence increases - while still masking values at low confidence (although high value spots trend towards showing as more valuable still) :)

Of course, I think it's functionally the same as the Excel formula I gave, but grouping it like that makes it's purpose a lot more clear. I fixed the actual formula in the code block above, but not the Excel formula used to generate the spreadsheet.

Edited by etmoonshade
Tweaked the spreadsheet to show the results for 0% and 100% confidence.

• 2 weeks later...

That ankward moment when you build n' launch nice interplanetary ship, reach polar orbit of distant planet, detach altimetry/ore/multispectral scanner, after finding that sweet landing spot deorbit and drop few miniprobes so they land in different biomes for moar science and finally you land a capsule with big science-hungry rover... Mission succes!... aaaand the next day you discover an awesome mod that could have enchanced that science-hungry rover even more;.;

Not a rigorous bug report, but adding this into my admittedly heavily modded install produced a conflict with Roverdude's MKS Konstruction mods.

Basically it killed the Servo Crane controls. Using the Servo Crane after installing Rover Science caused the Crane controls to flake out. Uninstalling Rover Science fixed it.

It just occurred to me, should I be posting this over in the MKS thread?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2016-11-6 at 5:34 PM, theSpeare said:

I am kinda guessing this applies to 1.2.2 as the fundamentals are the same, right?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

Anyone got a 13 version or at least a 1.2.2 version?

If you look a few posts above yours, you'll see a 1.2-compatible version. As for 1.3, looks like @theSpeare hasn't been on the forum for almost half a year, so I guess somebody will have to take up the mod unless/until the author returns.

27 minutes ago, garwel said:

If you look a few posts above yours, you'll see a 1.2-compatible version. As for 1.3, looks like @theSpeare hasn't been on the forum for almost half a year, so I guess somebody will have to take up the mod unless/until the author returns.

I should note that the author was gone even longer than that I believe prior to making a 1.2.2 update from like 1.0.5, so there's always a chance he'll swing by again sometime.

• 2 weeks later...

@garwel, @The-Doctor While we wait to see if @theSpeare will return, I took a quick look at this mod's code and it requires just a single line edit to get it to compile on 1.3. A quick test seemed to work fine as I was able to get a science spot and collect science from it.

Spoiler

If anyone would like the DLL, I've uploaded it here. Just install the last version of RoverScience and replace the DLL in it's Gamedata folder with my one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2017 at 8:17 PM, Aelfhe1m said:

If anyone would like the DLL, I've uploaded it here. Just install the last version of RoverScience and replace the DLL in it's Gamedata folder with my one.

Any chance you or someone else could host this somewhere else... For the life of me, onedrive will never let me download anything... :mad: Gawd i hate MS... :(

Hello! Been awhile. Apologies for not seeing any of your messages, either on here or on my profile. I only remembered to check as soon as @Aelfhe1m sent me a private message.

Unfortunately work and life has caught up to me, and as much as I would love to say that I could go back, maintain and continue this mod (believe me, every time I remember I feel some personal hype a little) - I know that I would just fall out of it again due to other things going on in life. You guys are great though, and I'm really sorry that I can't continue it indefinitely.

However Aelfhe1m has offered to maintain the mod and potentially continue it with either tweaks or new features, so keep an eye out for the new thread. He's just submitted a pull request on my GitHub so I'll go accept that ASAP, and I'll do some final maintenance stuff hopefully later tonight. Thanks again Aelfhe1m!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.