[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

39 minutes ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I'm having low delta-v issues with the Tiny.

My craft currently consists of a Taurus pod with a tweakscaled stock size 2 ASAS (haven't unlocked the Taurus size 3 one yet), the taurus lab module, taurus short fuel tank (switched to LH2), a couple of solar arrays and mono tanks, a few RCS quads and the Tiny.  With the main engine on, MJ says it has just shy of 300 m/s, with just the aux engines on it reads as zero.

LH2 is not very dense. It sounds like you have lots of engine and payload and very little fuel.

Yeah, but the Quadroodle with the same configuration CSM (with LFO in the tank) gets 3 times as much Delta-V.  TBH, I kinda expected the NTR to perform more efficiently then the Quadroodle given the balance of the stock equivalents.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

Delta-V capacity depends on fuel mass fraction as well as specific impulse.  The Tiny is heavier than the Quadroodle, and because LH2 is less dense than LFO, when you use the same fuel tank, the fuel mass is less.  For your spacecraft, this happens to outweigh the improved specific impulse.  To overcome the mass and density penalty, you may want to try using larger fuel tanks (which may still end up being lighter than the small LFO tank, because LH2 is so fluffy, but they will almost certainly have to be larger).  Alternatively, if you don't need a multi-km/s delta-V budget for your CSM, you are most likely better off leaving the NTR at home and using a lighter engine.

This is also the case for stock engines, by the way -- the Nerv is only the optimal engine choice for very high delta-V requirements (the LV-909 is often the better choice even up to 3 km/s depending on payload mass).  Check out this chart:

• 2 weeks later...
On 29.3.2012 at 1:31 AM, bsquiklehausen said:

Download the fixed, rebalanced, and better than ever Taurus HCV here!

This points to a archive with just a bunch patches, is this intended? The other downloads below have the pack. Now I got confused because above the link it says to delete previous versions.

I guess you get it from curse or spacedock below and then apply the patch?

Edited by maculator

2 hours ago, maculator said:

I guess you get it from curse or spacedock below and then apply the patch?

Correct.... Altho, there is a version 1.5.3 that exists... Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to be hosted on Curse, as the latest there is 1.5.2...
So make sure to use the Mega link instead, as that is for 1.5.3

Edited by Stone Blue

6 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

So make sure to use the Mega link instead, as that is for 1.5.3

This is correct. Get 1.5.3 from Mega, then get Deimos' patches from GitHub. If you run into problems during gameplay, check the last couple of pages of discussion for known issues.

The download links in the OP are a cluster. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, HoveringKiller said:

Don't mean to sound rude or impatient or anything, any planned update to 1.3? I don't see anything in the last couple of pages.

This is a parts pack, without custom dedicated plugins, so it's not likely to require a 1.3 update in and of itself. The Taurus LES does depend on the presence of another plugin to operate, so it needs a 1.3-compatible version of either BDAnimationModules, which is available here, or DeployableEngines, which I don't believe Nertea has updated to 1.3 yet.

This is with all of the usual caveats that have been discussed in the last couple of pages - download locations, known issues, etc.

2 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

This is a parts pack, without custom dedicated plugins, so it's not likely to require a 1.3 update in and of itself. The Taurus LES does depend on the presence of another plugin to operate, so it needs a 1.3-compatible version of either BDAnimationModules, which is available here, or DeployableEngines, which I don't believe Nertea has updated to 1.3 yet.

This is with all of the usual caveats that have been discussed in the last couple of pages - download locations, known issues, etc.

That makes sense. I just know the Nertea's parts packs don't seem to work, but I guess that is for some other reason. I'll just download this and see when Nertea's stuff is updated :D. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I am not able to boot the game with this mod, I have put the 1.5.3 folder into game data, then put the patch separate in the game data folder. I have also tried putting the patch within the mod folder. Game is still crashing on startup.

On 7/26/2017 at 4:02 PM, nsgallup said:

I am not able to boot the game with this mod, I have put the 1.5.3 folder into game data, then put the patch separate in the game data folder. I have also tried putting the patch within the mod folder. Game is still crashing on startup.

On 6/8/2017 at 2:42 PM, PocketBrotector said:

The Taurus LES does depend on the presence of another plugin to operate, so it needs a 1.3-compatible version of either BDAnimationModules, which is available here, or DeployableEngines

20 hours ago, MerlinsMaster said:

Okay, I installed the most recent version of DAnimationModules.  But could you tell me exactly where to put the patch though?  Because I'm really not sure.  Thanks.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:58 AM, Deimos Rast said:

sorry, I really need to fix the folder structure. :blush:

It should all be in a folder "Taurus_Continued" in your GameData directory. You need the original mod in addition to the patches.

On 6/8/2017 at 11:42 AM, PocketBrotector said:

BTW had a couple other mods mention Deployable Engines as a requirement, but every link I tried ended up taking me to Kerbal Atomics. I asked Nertea and yes KA is the replacement for Deployable Egnines.

15 minutes ago, vossiewulf said:

BTW had a couple other mods mention Deployable Engines as a requirement, but every link I tried ended up taking me to Kerbal Atomics. I asked Nertea and yes KA is the replacement for Deployable Egnines.

Sort of. Kerbal Atomics and Cryogenic Engines are mods that use DeployableEngines as a dependency. (All of those things are by Nertea). DeployableEngines isn't maintained/released as a separate download, so the main way to get the latest version of DeployableEngines would be to download KA or CryoEngines.

For Taurus purposes, the LES engines originally had BDAnimationModules as a dependency to animate correctly. With Deimos Rast's patch, they can also use DeployableEngines in place of BDAnimationModules. So if one dependency is ever out of date, we can use the other instead.

3 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

Sort of. Kerbal Atomics and Cryogenic Engines are mods that use DeployableEngines as a dependency. (All of those things are by Nertea). DeployableEngines isn't maintained/released as a separate download, so the main way to get the latest version of DeployableEngines would be to download KA or CryoEngines.

For Taurus purposes, the LES engines originally had BDAnimationModules as a dependency to animate correctly. With Deimos Rast's patch, they can also use DeployableEngines in place of BDAnimationModules. So if one dependency is ever out of date, we can use the other instead.

Thanks, that was what I was hoping you'd say, considerably clarifies it for people trying to understand what they need. I had a couple hours of confused searching looking for a current DL of Deployable Engines.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, Enterprise0709 said:

I got this to work in 1.3.1 but I'm running into an issue with the science bay and crew container. They do not show up in game at all.

They load up just fine for me did you change the folder path or install it wrong ? Path should be KSP/GameData/RSCapsuledyne

10 hours ago, Mecripp said:

They load up just fine for me did you change the folder path or install it wrong ? Path should be KSP/GameData/RSCapsuledyne

Yea I had already figured it out. The path leading to the Model in the model file indeed diddn't match with the actual path. It's fixed now. Thanks anyway!