[1.2.1] Taurus HCV - 3.75 m CSM System [v1.5.3 - July 1, 2014]

bsquiklehausen

It should already work! We haven't had troubles with it ourselves, and I don't hear anyone else having the same issue - do you have anything else installed, mod-wise?

(I'm guessing you're referring to the booster bug)

Yes, a lot of mods. But none that would mess with how and when engines are turned on.

The boosters engage as the vessel unpacks onto the launchpad, rather than right after, which makes me think there's something wrong with how the game handles what module of the capsule comes on when... Perhaps with the engine modules' animation?

Also, looking at the part's file,

fx_exhaustFlame_yellow_tiny = 0,0,0,0,0,0, running

Shouldn't this be under "node definitions".

@Joe 2.0,

Again, you're missing my point. The STS has a standard "bridge" cockpit design/layout.

STSCPanel.jpg

With panels on the dashboard and on the ceiling above the windows, much like any modern aircraft.

As for the windows- the same applies to the shuttle's cockpit as it applies to a regular capsule (and any high-flying aircraft). Having a bubble-type layout would simply be impractical.

I'm not sure why you're even arguing with me since we both share the same opinion- a "bridge" design for the IVA would be awesome.

Edited by BananaDealer

Just tried the capsule out, it flies very nicely and I'm pleased to finally have a nice heavy capsule to use. Can confirm that it works well with the current DRE 3.75m heat shield, though the models don't mesh quite right. Two things though, and only one is really of any consequence. First, the capsule seems a bit light for me. It just feels a bit wrong for a big honkin' 3.75m Orion stand-in capsule to land softly with the SDHI chutes and nothing but. Secondly, I tried using the LAS rockets to slow my splash-down (unnecessary, but fun). I do not recommend this, as what had been a stable vertical drop became a weird spinning cartwheeling drop. And it only killed about 3m/s of vertical velocity for some reason.

Edited by TerLoki

I like the big windows and I really hope you keep them, this is a game and I want to have fun seeing what I'm doing with a capsule like this. If I wanted real life I'd play a simulator. Being able to see more from IVA makes it much more usable in my opinion.

I can see were you're all coming from regarding the big windows, yeah it would be nice looking out at space and stations while docking etc through them, though unrealistic, It seems everyone that plays KSP plays it slightly differently and has a different preferred level of realism, the big windows aren't realistic enough for me, while I consider real solar system madness because it takes realism to lengths that makes the game less of a game and more of a sim.

Though I'll say seated properly in front of a smaller window you can see a very similar amount while not having an unrealistic amount of glass on the walls, it's an architectural trick I can best translate into English as "eyes find glass" meaning while a sketch on paper or an external view of a house only shows a few small windows when you're inside the house the windows stand out so much from the walls they feel a lot larger, and because you can move around you can adjust what you see through the window, basically making them larger than they are in effect and mentally.

Reinstalling the thing doesn't seem to have fixed the issue...

I remember having the same troubles with the Dragon capsule back a few months which inevitably made me give up on the pack altogether...

Would you mind giving us a list of mods you have installed so we can try to recreate the issue and narrow it down?

Would you mind giving us a list of mods you have installed so we can try to recreate the issue and narrow it down?

Oh dear... Right... Well... These are the contents of my GameData folder:

Cabana Corp R&D (my own mod)

The Toolbar Plugin

AGM

AIES pack

ASET pack

ASTRA pack

Wolf's LES pack

B9

BahaSP (that's part of your thing)

BASE pack's inflatable Hab

Quantum Struts

City Lights and Clouds

Cargo Transfer Bags

Chatterer

Crew Manifest

Deadly Reentry

DM's Orbital Science

DM's Tanks

Enhanced NavBall

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements

ExsurgentEngineering

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA towers

Ferram

Firespitter

SumGhai's FusTek Dev build

HGR pack

ION Hybrid pack

JSI's RPM

K3's B9 internals

KAS

Procedural Fairings

KerbPaint

Kethane

KineTech Animation

Klockheed Martian Shuttle Engines

Nucleonics Pack

KSP

KSP Calendar

KSPX

KW

Lionhead's circular solar panels

Lack Lustre's Lab

Load On Demand

KDEX

MechJeb (with RPM)

ModsByTAL

Modular Fuel Tanks

NASA's parts

NavyFish's Docking Port Indicator

NearFuture Pack

Final Frontier

New Horizons

Nothke's DROMOMAN

Nothke's Service Compartments

NovaPunch (stripped it down to just a couple tanks I tend to use)

OpenResourceSystem

PandaJager's Labs

PorkWorks Habs

Procedural Dynamics

ProceduralParts

PWB Fuel Balancer

R&SCapsuledyne (the other part of your thing)

RealChutes

RT2

ResGen

Romfarer

SCANsat (with RPM)

SDHI

SH_mods (Mk2 Cockpit internals)

SmokeScreen

Spaceplane Plus (part of PorkWorks)

Squad's stock parts

Lack's SXT

Targetron

TAC-LS

TreeLoader

TriggerTech Alternative Resource Panel and Alarm Clock

TTModularWheels

TurboNisu's Stock-alikes

VibraDyn's SCANsat scanners

Vanguard EVA Parachutes

KSP Interstellar

Along with Module Manager (latest build) and Modulefixer...

Soo... Good luck...

Oh dear... Right... Well... These are the contents of my GameData folder:

Cabana Corp R&D (my own mod)

The Toolbar Plugin

AGM

AIES pack

ASET pack

ASTRA pack

Wolf's LES pack

B9

BahaSP (that's part of your thing)

BASE pack's inflatable Hab

Quantum Struts

City Lights and Clouds

Cargo Transfer Bags

Chatterer

Crew Manifest

Deadly Reentry

DM's Orbital Science

DM's Tanks

Enhanced NavBall

ExsurgentEngineering

Extraplanetary Launchpads

FASA towers

Ferram

Firespitter

SumGhai's FusTek Dev build

HGR pack

ION Hybrid pack

JSI's RPM

K3's B9 internals

KAS

Procedural Fairings

KerbPaint

Kethane

KineTech Animation

Klockheed Martian Shuttle Engines

Nucleonics Pack

KSP

KSP Calendar

KSPX

KW

Lionhead's circular solar panels

Lack Lustre's Lab

Load On Demand

KDEX

MechJeb (with RPM)

ModsByTAL

Modular Fuel Tanks

NASA's parts

NavyFish's Docking Port Indicator

NearFuture Pack

Final Frontier

New Horizons

Nothke's DROMOMAN

Nothke's Service Compartments

NovaPunch (stripped it down to just a couple tanks I tend to use)

OpenResourceSystem

PandaJager's Labs

PorkWorks Habs

Procedural Dynamics

ProceduralParts

PWB Fuel Balancer

R&SCapsuledyne (the other part of your thing)

RealChutes

RT2

ResGen

Romfarer

SCANsat (with RPM)

SDHI

SH_mods (Mk2 Cockpit internals)

SmokeScreen

Spaceplane Plus (part of PorkWorks)

Squad's stock parts

Lack's SXT

Targetron

TAC-LS

TreeLoader

TriggerTech Alternative Resource Panel and Alarm Clock

TTModularWheels

TurboNisu's Stock-alikes

VibraDyn's SCANsat scanners

Vanguard EVA Parachutes

KSP Interstellar

Along with Module Manager (latest build) and Modulefixer...

Soo... Good luck...

Is anyone with a less insane level of mods having the same problem that can help me out?

Secondly, I tried using the LAS rockets to slow my splash-down (unnecessary, but fun). I do not recommend this, as what had been a stable vertical drop became a weird spinning cartwheeling drop. And it only killed about 3m/s of vertical velocity for some reason.

From what I have seen and read, it's suppose to be just an integrated LES. So a quick burst with slightly more thrust on one side, that will roll/spin your capsule away from the main body and (hopefully) out of harms way.

Is there any chance you could make the pod with all the extras(thrusters and the like) not auto-built in? Or just the old model without them also added to the package?

This is something you can do on your own by opening up the part file and putting "//" before each line that has any reference to the LES feature. I am assuming that would be anything between "//ENGINE CONFIG" and "//ALL OTHER CONFIG". If I am wrong on this, please someone correct me. I am by no means a programmer, and when I do something successful in C#, I chalk it up that "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut"

(I'm guessing you're referring to the booster bug)

Yes, a lot of mods. But none that would mess with how and when engines are turned on.

The boosters engage as the vessel unpacks onto the launchpad, rather than right after, which makes me think there's something wrong with how the game handles what module of the capsule comes on when... Perhaps with the engine modules' animation?

I think that the game has trouble with engines built into the command module part. I found that Lack's MEM module from his SXT add on has the exact same problem where it ignites automatically. Lack's MEM also has the engine built into the command pod part. I believe all engines should be separate parts from the command module. This would remove the problem of auto ignition.

I've haven't seen the auto ignition problem with this capsule at all, it's working exactly as intended. I wish it lifted the pod a little higher to give it some more time for parachutes to deploy, but has not auto fired on me yet.

Is anyone with a less insane level of mods having the same problem that can help me out?

Well, I have an insane amount of mods, but my install works just fine with your pod.

Here's my folder list currently:

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AIES_Aerospace

ASET

aWolf (LES Pack)

B9_Aerospace

BahaSP

blackheart

BoulderCo

CargoTransferBags

Chatterer

CrewManifest

DeadlyReentry

EditorExtensions

ExsurgentEngineering

FASA

FerramAerospaceResearch

Firespitter

FusTek

HGR

HGRtest (HGR dev release)

Hyomoto (MFDs for RPM)

JSI (Raster Prop Monitor)

KAS

KAS-Extensions-master (MM configs to make a bunch of stuff KAS compatible)

Keramzit (PFairings)

KerbalConstructionTime

Kerbaltek

KineTechAnimation

Klockheed_Martian

kommit_nucleonics

kommit_octotruss

KSPX

KWRocketry

LLL (very few parts)

MagicSmokeIndustries (Infernal Robotics, which is broken in .23.5)

masTerTorch (single science part, KDEX)

MechJeb2

MechJeb2RPM

ModuleManager_1_5_7.dll

NASAmission

NavyFish

NearFuture

Nereid (FinalFrontier mod)

NewHorizons (Universal Storage)

nothke_DROMOMAN

NothkeSerCom (6S tubes)

NovaPunch2

OpenResourceSystem

PartCatalog

PorkWorks

ProceduralDynamics

R&SCapsuledyne

Raptor831 (my custom mods, all MM configs or new part configs)

RealChute

RealFuels

ResGen

RLA_Stockalike

SCANsat

SCANsatRPM

SDHI

Squad

StretchySNTextures

StretchyTanks

SXT

ThunderAerospace (Fuel Balancer and Life Support)

TreeLoader

TriggerTech (Alarm Clock)

UbioWeldingLtd

VNG

WarpPlugin

I can say that Kerbal ISP Difficulty Scaler does not play well with the capsule LES, which I had to remove in order to get this to work. But that's the only one, and I could simply not use the LES and it works fine. No auto-engage on unpack, at least on the pad. I didn't test launching, saving, then reloading, but I doubt that would make a difference.

Here is the list of mods I'm using

000_Toolbar

ActiveTextureManagement

AIES_Aerospace

B9_Aerospace

BahaEPL

BahaSP

blackheart

BoJaN

BoulderCo

CrewManifest

CustomBiomes

DistantObject

DMagic Orbital Science

DMTanks

EditorExtensions

EnhancedNavBall

Exosomatic Ontologies

ExsurgentEngineering

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

Firespitter

Goodspeed

HexCans

KAS

Keramzit

KerbalJointReinforcement

Kerbaltek

Kethane

KineTechAnimation

KSPTOTConnect

KWRocketry

MagicSmokeIndustries

MechJeb2

ModularFuelTanks

ModuleManager_1_5_6.dll

NavyFish

NearFuture

NothkeSerCom

OpenResourceSystem

PreciseNode

R&SCapsuledyne

RCSBuildAid

RealChute

ResGen

SCANsat

ScienceAlert

SelectRoot

SH_mods

Squad

TextureReplacer

ThunderAerospace

TimeControl

toolbar-settings.dat

TreeLoader

TriggerTech

udk_lethal_d0se

VNG

WarpDrive2

WarpPlugin

The problem is with ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads, remove ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads and ok. ;.;

Hmm... So I removed all my mods besides this capsule and it still had the issue.

I then put all my modlist back, removing only the launchpads thing and the issue now seems to have gone away...

I'm royally confused...

I wonder if this can be fixed and still have the LES, since that's a very neat feature.

I have no idea if the bug is something caused by KSP, animated engines plugin (which is alpha), or some other mod, so it would be very hard for me personally to fix since I know very little about how plugins work.

However, if anyone discovers anything that my lead to the resolution of this bug, please send me a private message

[quote name='BananaDealer;1067744

@Joe 2.0' date='[/b']

Again, you're missing my point. The STS has a standard "bridge" cockpit design/layout.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/STSCPanel.jpg

With panels on the dashboard and on the ceiling above the windows, much like any modern aircraft.

As for the windows- the same applies to the shuttle's cockpit as it applies to a regular capsule (and any high-flying aircraft). Having a bubble-type layout would simply be impractical.

I'm not sure why you're even arguing with me since we both share the same opinion- a "bridge" design for the IVA would be awesome.

I have no idea if the bug is something caused by KSP, animated engines plugin (which is alpha), or some other mod, so it would be very hard for me personally to fix since I know very little about how plugins work.

However, if anyone discovers anything that my lead to the resolution of this bug, please send me a private message

No problem, I love finally having a 3.75m capsule! For now, I'll just edit out the engine using a module manager file.

-edit-

For anyone having the engine firing on vessel unpack, here's a module manager to remove the engine and associated pieces from the part.

TaurusHCV_Fixes.cfg

Edited by pantheis
Added link for module manager fix

Are there any plans for a service module to go with this thing? Preferably Orion-style, since Tiberion has already done a CST-100 style 3.75m pod + service module. I just can't make it look good with ProcFairings and normal parts. Alternatively, does anybody have a design for a service module that looks good?

I made my own service module for the bobcat orion pod:

UtUCV1L.jpg

Gold foil stretchytank and the round lionhead aerospace solar panels, 2m fatman nerva, but if you for some reason don't like the idea of a manned mission with a nuclear reactor on it you could use the KW 2m CSM engine, or any engine you like.