Universal Storage 1.4.0.0 (For KSP 1.4.x) 13th March 2018

Paul Kingtiger

What is it?

Universal Storage is a parts pack that allows you to build Apollo Service Module style sections with various resource wedges attached around central cores. The pack is designed to work with many life support mods.

More information

http://www.kingtiger.online/

Download

SpaceDock or CKAN or OneDrive

Promocard_02-1024x544.jpg

Universal Storage is set of parts to help you build service modules for your craft. Two core parts for 1.25 and 2.5 meter stacks provide a number of attachment points where you can fit various wedges. These wedges can store resources, provide KAS containers and even be used to create Apollo style science bays. In addition a number of reactors and processors are included to help you make the most of your resources. Each of these parts are balanced based on real world examples used in the Apollo space program or on the International Space Station.

Designed to work with other mods

Universal Storage is designed to work with lots of other mods, Universal Storage will automatically detect these mods and add / adjust parts to match. For the best experience we recommend the following:

Kerbal Inventory System

Universal Storage works with Kerbal Inventory System. With KIS installed you can pick up wedges and place them in cores. You’ll also get access to new parts designed for KIS.

DMagic Orbital Science

This amazing mod adds lots of new science parts and contracts, giving you lots of new opportunities to advance Kerbal knowledge. The Orbital Science mod includes some science experiment wedges that will be available with Universal Storage and Orbital Science both installed.

Life support mods

Universal Storage includes config files to work with the populate life support mods, providing the resources required to keep your Kerbals alive. New parts will be available depending on what life support mod you have installed. Supported mods include:

Change Log

You can access the latest change log at SpaceDock

Installation instructions

The mod is very easy to install.

• Download the file from SpaceDock
  • Unzip the file and follow the included .pdf documentation
  • For more information and alternative download check out www.kingtiger.online
  • You can also download and instal from CKAN

Licence

The full licence is included in the download or at ksp.kingtiger.co.uk

The short version is:

• Models and images: All rights reserved
  • .cfg files: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0
  • Packaged 3rd part mods are covered by their own licences (details in full licence)

COPYRIGHT

All models and textures are copyright of the original creator, all rights reserved.

SCREEN SHOTS, IMAGES AND VIDEOS

You may create and publish screen shots, images and videos featuring Universal Storage running as part of KSP, including for commercial or financial gain.

This does not include the texture image files, except when viewed in-game as part of Kerbal Space Program.

Note: this license does not override or supersede any existing license regarding Kerbal Space Program or Squad

3RD PARTY MODS AND PLUG-INS PACKAGED WITH UNIVERSAL STORAGE ARE COVERED BY THEIR OWN LICENCE

• Module Manager: CC share-alike license
  • Mini-AVC: GNU General Public License v3

Universal Storage is created by New Horizons and NOX Industrial

Initial concept, coding, lifesupport balancing, and supporting materials  Paul Kingtiger

Asset modelling, texturing, animations, Unity work and visual development  Daishi

Edited by Paul Kingtiger
New KSP version

Tech tree integrated?

It is, although its placing may change. Batteries come too late in stock for my liking and I wanted to fuel cell to come after batteries but before RTGs

I might just move batteries to T2 and have fuel cells at T3, you'll need both early with life support.

Feedback on the tech tree locations welcome as I don't play career mod (waiting for it to be more complete)

Do the fuel cells work with real fuels? How about KSPI's water electrolysis?

I've followed the system in the unified resource guidelines post. Real fuels using a different system though.

They have liquidOxygen and LiquidH2, we use Oxygen and Hydrogen (both a tracked in the gas state although they are stored as a liquid.

It's not too much work to create a module manage file to convert it to real fuels, I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

Will there be a version of this that uses stock fuels? Possibly near future fuels?

We're looking at creating an RCS fuel wedge, but the wedges only have a maximum volume of 123 liters, which isn't a useful amount for liquid fuel or oxidizer*.

It's something we've been discussing though so some sort of fuel system may happen.

Wedge-size-maximum.png

* plus I've no idea what the units are for liquid fuel or oxidizer, although I can make some assumptions based on mass and real world fuels.

There are also some other plans, but we're not quite ready to talk about those yet.

I seem to have spotted a bug, the Fuel Cell unit does not show up in the tech-tree for me, further investigation showed this in the part.cfg:

TechRequired = space exploration

This should probably be:

TechRequired = spaceExploration

(As the sensorThermometer/part.cfg shows).

The mod looks awesome, if you can also fit monopropellant in as a wedge it'll be even more awesome \o/

Keep up the good work.

-

Kolbjorn

I seem to have spotted a bug, the Fuel Cell unit does not show up in the tech-tree for me, further investigation showed this in the part.cfg:

TechRequired = space exploration

This should probably be:

TechRequired = spaceExploration

Yep, thanks for spotting that, download updated.

Can I make a request.... I'd love it if you made a science part, containing thermometor, pressure, gravity and acceleration.

Of course :) We've got a lot to finish but science equipment could come later. The KAS pack will contain an empty storage bay, so when thats released I'm sure you can hide away the stock equipment in that.

While not so spectacular, this i kerbin shuttle orbiter quality level.

Thank you so much :D

I seem to have found another issue, if this oxygen the fuel cell is using is supposed to be breathable oxygen(there are different classifications of oxygen for different uses, some claim using welding oxygen for breathing is fine though) it kinda "breaks" the life support(as you'll have oxygen for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, it's more of a balance issue maybe? Should be able to figure out how it worked in Apollo and go from there I suppose).

It breaks TAC atm over here:

YD8win6.jpg

(Granted, I did not try the updated version, but if the only change was the research-tree fix it shouldn't matter).

-

Kolbjorn

I seem to have found another issue, if this oxygen the fuel cell is using is supposed to be breathable oxygen(there are different classifications of oxygen for different uses, some claim using welding oxygen for breathing is fine though) it kinda "breaks" the life support(as you'll have oxygen for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time, it's more of a balance issue maybe? Should be able to figure out how it worked in Apollo and go from there I suppose).

From what I know Apollo used a single O2 system for life support and the fuel cell, so yes it's all one system and yes, this isn't compatable with TAC which uses 1 day supply as the unit (1 day is around 550 liters O2 gas). However TAC is considering moving to a liter system which will bring it into line with what we use. If TAC doesn't do that then we'll publish a module manager file to make it TAC compatible.

In the mean time you could divide everything by 550 (resource amounts and flow rate) to make it work with TAC.

One of the reasons we're leaving the TAC pack to later on is to allow the TAC devs to decide on and implement a new system (and it involves the most parts!)

Edited by Paul Kingtiger

From what I know Apollo used a single O2 system for life support and the fuel cell, so yes it's all one system and yes, this isn't compatable with TAC which uses 1 day supply as the unit (1 day is around 550 liters O2 gas).

However TAC is considering moving to a liter system which will bring it into line with what we use. If TAC doesn't do that then we'll publish a module manager file to make it TAC compatible.

Ah yes, I did come to about the same conclusions.

Another possibility is using kg instead, the 550 liters O2 would come out at 0.785kg, which makes the numbers smaller. Could even make the displayed value selectable between kg/liters.

In any case this is just me rambling about as it's not really that important what units it is, just that mods using the same ones(or we'll get into 22 different types of oxygen and sillyness).

(And I almost burned up in the atmosphere writing this post, alt-tabbed back and I was down to 37km, just had time to decouple and orient my ship/heatshield into the proper orientation).

-

Kolbjorn

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.