KVV - Kronal Vessel Viewer = Exploded ship view + Axes on the VAB + other stuff: now released into public domain

kronal

3 hours ago, Boots said:

I've installed the most recent version and I cant' access the mod in-game. No KVV button appears on the toolbar - is this a known bug/problem in 1.1.3 64-bit?

I'm using the 1.1pre version posted here with 1.1.3 with no problem.  

• 2 months later...

^ Heh. I was just about to come by and post basically that myself. I'll try kludging it into my 1.2 installation and seeing if it crashes or not.

UPDATE: Well that was... nothing.
I poked my nose around GitHub and found this: https://github.com/ayan4m1/Kronal.VesselViewer
...which as far as I can tell is the most recent version of the plugin. Unfortunately upon entering the VAB I got an exception message about being unable to load a "KSPUtil" assembly, and the button to launch KronalUtils wasn't displayed, which prior experience has told me means the mod just needs to be recompiled for 1.2 - or at least that someone's going to have to recompile it before we can find any other problems xD

EDIT: Actually further sniffing has revealed that ayan4m1 is busy working on a 1.2 version already as visible here: https://github.com/ayan4m1/Kronal.VesselViewer/tree/feature/1.2
So here's hoping that branch gets compiled sometime soon so we can get back to making epic infographics! :prograde:

Edited by parameciumkid
I lowered my cholesterol...?

20 minutes ago, parameciumkid said:

Unfortunately upon entering the VAB I got an exception message about being unable to load a "KSPUtil" assembly, and the button to launch KronalUtils wasn't displayed, which prior experience has told me means the mod just needs to be recompiled for 1.2 - or at least that someone's going to have to recompile it before we can find any other problems xD

Yeah... I guess the KSPUtil assembly has been dropped from 1.2... ???

And, yeah, I guess its gonna take more than just a simple recompile... Someone on The Dev Hole Discord group not only tried a recompile, but I guess dug into it good, and it needs a lot of work :(

yeah, hopefully ayan4m1 WILL get it working soon

On 10/14/2016 at 6:14 AM, parameciumkid said:

^ Heh. I was just about to come by and post basically that myself. I'll try kludging it into my 1.2 installation and seeing if it crashes or not.

UPDATE: Well that was... nothing.
I poked my nose around GitHub and found this: https://github.com/ayan4m1/Kronal.VesselViewer
...which as far as I can tell is the most recent version of the plugin. Unfortunately upon entering the VAB I got an exception message about being unable to load a "KSPUtil" assembly, and the button to launch KronalUtils wasn't displayed, which prior experience has told me means the mod just needs to be recompiled for 1.2 - or at least that someone's going to have to recompile it before we can find any other problems xD

EDIT: Actually further sniffing has revealed that ayan4m1 is busy working on a 1.2 version already as visible here: https://github.com/ayan4m1/Kronal.VesselViewer/tree/feature/1.2
So here's hoping that branch gets compiled sometime soon so we can get back to making epic infographics! :prograde:

ah thanks, good to know the projects still being updated. :D

• 4 weeks later...

" Your content will need to be approved by a moderator "

That for sure is welcoming! lol

@DMSP Haven't touched this code for a couple of years! bigorangemachine had taken over it, and haven't talked much with him since. Did bigorangemachine go MIA

BTW from other thread I think @linuxgurugamer was taking a look into it for a project @CobaltWolf has.

Is there still some interest in this? If so and there is nobody else maintaining it, I might look into updating it, but no promises though.

:wink:

Edited by kronal

12 minutes ago, kronal said:

@DMSP Haven't touched this code for a couple of years! bigorangemachine had taken over it, and haven't talked much with him since. Did bigorangemachine go MIA

BTW from other thread I think @linuxgurugamer was taking a look into it for a project @CobaltWolf has.

Is there still some interest in this? If so and there is nobody else maintaining it, I might look into updating it, but no promises though.

I know a great many people that use it still! My team uses it for taking orthographic renders of rockets for our manual. Any sort of update would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a one-off update to 1.2.1 with no promise/expectations of further support after that. :) I believe that there are issues with the shaders. As people have said elsewhere, features like the blueprint backgrounds and stuff are unimportant. All that really matters is getting the orthographic projections working again, and to a slightly lesser extent the exploded stage views.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:
3 hours ago, kronal said:

I know a great many people that use it still! My team uses it for taking orthographic renders of rockets for our manual. Any sort of update would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just a one-off update to 1.2.1 with no promise/expectations of further support after that. :) I believe that there are issues with the shaders. As people have said elsewhere, features like the blueprint backgrounds and stuff are unimportant. All that really matters is getting the orthographic projections working again, and to a slightly lesser extent the exploded stage views.

I did look at this a while ago, but didn't have time.

I'll take a look this evening.  I'm going to guess that the changes won't be that different than what VesselViewer had

7 hours ago, kronal said:

@kronal, first off I want to say thank you making this mod, even though you haven't touched it in a while.  I've assembled a craft download catalog on the forums with over 150 download links to KerbalX.  Every spacecraft, lander, rover, or subassembly is featured with their own graphic "brochure", which was created with Kronal Vessel Viewer through KSP 1.1.3.  I've been especially proud of being able to present them using the KVV mod, so I attribute my success to your work and the others that followed through to maintain it.

Secondly, I would respond to your question that I am of course interested in KVV for KSP 1.2.X and beyond.  But if you or anyone else don't have the time to maintain it, it's no big deal. :)

Without further ado:

I present the first public BETA of the updated Kronal VesselViewer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oan8e2dnehhut7j/KronalUtils.zip?dl=0

Due to the way that Unity has changed, I had to change some internals.  Source is not yet uploaded, I still have some work to do before a final release.  But as of now, I think I got all bugs squashed.

No launcher icon in editor and:

[LOG 18:42:04.578] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KVrVesselShotUI' from assembly 'KronalUtils'
[LOG 18:42:04.582] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: FXAA   contentName: Hidden/SlinDev/Desktop/PostProcessing/FXAA
[LOG 18:42:04.583] LoadBundle
[LOG 18:42:04.583] Application.platform: LinuxPlayer
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Error: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for KronalUtils.KVrUtilsCore ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KronalUtils.BundleIndex.LoadBundle () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KronalUtils.BundleIndex.InitShaders () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KronalUtils.BundleIndex..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at KronalUtils.KVrUtilsCore..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: FXAA
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: ColorAdjust   contentName: Kronal/Color Adjust
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Error: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for KronalUtils.KVrUtilsCore ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: ColorAdjust
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: edn2   contentName: Hidden/Edge Detect Normals2
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: edn2
[LOG 18:42:04.589] VesselViewConfig
[LOG 18:42:04.591] Config list contains: 8
[LOG 18:42:04.592] LoadShaders
[LOG 18:42:04.592] LoadBundle
[LOG 18:42:04.592] Application.platform: LinuxPlayer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Without further ado:

I present the first public BETA of the updated Kronal VesselViewer:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oan8e2dnehhut7j/KronalUtils.zip?dl=0

Due to the way that Unity has changed, I had to change some internals.  Source is not yet uploaded, I still have some work to do before a final release.  But as of now, I think I got all bugs squashed.

WAT. I cannot believe you're reliving this one, too. Man, what a machine.

2 hours ago, WildLynx said:

No launcher icon in editor and:

[LOG 18:42:04.578] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'KVrVesselShotUI' from assembly 'KronalUtils'
[LOG 18:42:04.582] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: FXAA   contentName: Hidden/SlinDev/Desktop/PostProcessing/FXAA
[LOG 18:42:04.583] LoadBundle
[LOG 18:42:04.583] Application.platform: LinuxPlayer
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: FXAA
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: ColorAdjust   contentName: Kronal/Color Adjust
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: ColorAdjust
[LOG 18:42:04.584] Enter ShaderMaterial, filename: edn2   contentName: Hidden/Edge Detect Normals2
  at KronalUtils.ShaderMaterial..ctor (System.String fileName, System.String contentName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0  creating material: edn2
[LOG 18:42:04.589] VesselViewConfig
[LOG 18:42:04.591] Config list contains: 8
[LOG 18:42:04.592] LoadShaders
[LOG 18:42:04.592] LoadBundle
[LOG 18:42:04.592] Application.platform: LinuxPlayer

First, I need the complete log file.

Second, You did remove all old copies and copy the entire KronalUtils to the GameData directory?

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

First, I need the complete log file.

Second, You did remove all old copies and copy the entire KronalUtils to the GameData directory?

1. Uh, I overwritten it. Ok, I will try to re-create the situation.

2. There were no old copies. KVV stopped working for Linux users long time ago.

2.1 I un-archived top folder "KronalUtils" into GameData, took archive from dropbox from your post 5 posts above. It's complete KVV archive or just a new module?

I didn't relize that you were on Linux.

it's a typo

To get around this. do the following:

At a Linux prompt:

cd to the GameData directory

do the following command:

ln -s Kronalutils KronalUtils

Or, just download the zip again, I just updated it.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

Trick with softlinking worked ... kinda ... two copies of mod working at some time. But working.

Newly updated version don't work. Or dropbox still uploads old version.

Here are the logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlg0s3vicdq9hoh/KSP_Log_22NOV2016_2209.tar.gz?dl=0

May be you should upload archive under new name? Dorpbox prob. uses distributed servers, and they do not sync well?

Edited by Guest

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think I copied the wrong dll.

This one has the updated one, and it's a new file.

don't forget to remove the symlink

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wuvgw8iagf7z0fs/KronalUtils-beta2.zip?dl=0

It works! It works!!! I was missing this mod for so long! Thank you!

P.S.

I was just about to start bragging with new KVV blueprints ... and imgur decided to go down. Luckily, there is a lot of picture sharing services around.

Just now, WildLynx said:

Trick with softlinking worked ... kinda ... two copies of mod working at some time. But working.

Newly updated version don't work. Or dropbox still uploads old version.

Here are the logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlg0s3vicdq9hoh/KSP_Log_22NOV2016_2209.tar.gz?dl=0

4 minutes ago, WildLynx said:

It works! It works!!! I was missing this mod for so long! Thank you!

P.S.

I was just about to start bragging with new KVV blueprints ... and imgur decided to go down. Luckily, there is a lot of picture sharing services around.

I still have two things (minor) to fix, as well as getting the assembly info updated and a full release.

Glad to hear it's working for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.