Stand Alone Map View - Multi monitor KSP [1.4.x][Plugin]

Unit327

26 minutes ago, tetryds said:

@Wadusher and @RaendyLeBeau, probably the fact that the mod has not been ported to 1.1.2, so it should not even work.

If you use a mod on an unsupported version you are on your own and there is nothing that you can do other than wait for it to update.

Remember that consistently requesting updates is against the forum rules.

I'm still on 1.0.5, so that's not the issue. >.>

23 hours ago, Wadusher said:

For some reason my client is unable to connect to my server, despite them being on the same machine. Apparently the machine is refusing the connection.

http://imgur.com/wSUWsMy
Do any of you know why I'm getting this error? And how do I fix it?

In the mod settings, try setting the server/client hostname to 127.0.0.1 instead of "localhost". Also make sure a firewall isn't blocking the comms (though I can't imagine why it would block connections to the same machine, so it probably isn't that). @RaendyLeBeau @Wadusher

Edited by Unit327

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I encountered a problem while loading mod. I'm not familiar with C# so can't really handle this on my own.

[EXC 14:56:31.897] TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Callback' from assembly 'utils'.
	StandAloneMapView.server.Startup.Awake ()
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
	AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
	AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)

Full log here. Could you help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i Have gotten this thing to rebuild for 1.2.2 BUT it still dont work I think due to the diffrences in either protovessel structure file or the dummy base.sfs file. Either way due to this addon loading a whole new instance of ksp and sucking up the resources my heart just isnt into going any further into making this work. I have a idea that I want to try to accomplish the same goal as this addon. We will see......

1 hour ago, Redneck said:

i Have gotten this thing to rebuild for 1.2.2 BUT it still dont work I think due to the diffrences in either protovessel structure file or the dummy base.sfs file. Either way due to this addon loading a whole new instance of ksp and sucking up the resources my heart just isnt into going any further into making this work. I have a idea that I want to try to accomplish the same goal as this addon. We will see......

I badly could have used a multi-display setup so when I saw this thread earlier this week I got all excited and thought "oh wait, the version of Unity that KSP uses now has multi-monitor support, this should be fairly simple to do as an Add-on"!

So I spent a bit of time trying to hack together a proof of concept.  Well, it didn't go so well:

6FraoU2.jpg

Unfortunately, "trippy" is not an adjective that befits an orbital planning interface.

There appear to be two main problems:

1. Yes Unity does indeed now have multimonitor support but doesn't seem to be too good... opening a second display also changed the first's window resolution.  Also it seems like it can only be done fullscreen, though I could maybe live with that limitation.
  2. More importantly, KSP's Map View does not seem to be designed for asynchronous use... so even if it's being shown at the same time it wouldn't necessarily update when flight mode was going.  Plus there would be all sorts of conflicts with the nav ball and apps and other stuff.  Maybe they could be worked around but the initial impression was very grim.

Just throwing this out there in case it's useful.  Not saying it couldn't be done, just that it may be way more involved than one would hope. 

Edited by paulprogart
temporal anomaly

2 hours ago, Redneck said:

• You should be able to replace the dummy ship file with any other ship file. The version I created in the mod is just a single cubic strut that I manually created and saved in the VAB. That said the mod will still probably not work without bugs, depending on what has changed. It frequently had bugs even on the  versions I tested and verified it against, just most you could work around easily.
51 minutes ago, paulprogart said:

I badly could have used a multi-display setup so when I saw this thread earlier this week I got all excited and thought "oh wait, the version of Unity that KSP uses now has multi-monitor support, this should be fairly simple to do as an Add-on"!

So I spent a bit of time trying to hack together a proof of concept.  Well, it didn't go so well

Looks promising! You should keep working on it but change and reduce the scope. Rather than trying to stick the map on there, just make the other monitor available for mechjeb/KER/whatever display windows, camera viewpoint windows etc.

Edited by Unit327

9 minutes ago, Unit327 said:

Looks promising! You should keep working on it but change and reduce the scope. Rather than trying to stick the map on there, just make the other monitor available for mechjeb/KER/whatever display windows, camera viewpoint windows etc.

Well there's nothing stopping mods from doing that now for their own use.  Spinning up the second display is trivial.

I suppose if several mods start trying to do it then some common DLL might be useful to be sure they don't step on each other (especially given the current limitations of multidisplay support), but I'll have to let those authors worry about that.

So let me run this by you guys. I havent had time to mess with it since my post but my idea was to just put the map view in a webpage maybe using webgl. Looking at other mods code, I think it was rasterpropmonitor, I have seen a method to keep it updating even though you are not on map view in the game.

Edited by Redneck

On 2/11/2017 at 7:58 PM, Unit327 said:

That would be AMAZING. It would improve game experience tremendously and it appears a bit more reasonable of a project to accomplish.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Probus said:

Can this still be done in 1.8.1 or 1.9.1, or is there another mod that does the same/similar thing?

I cant answer that...yet...
I *will* say, IIRC, I had it working in 1.7.3 or 1.8.1 a few months ago.. I cant remember which :P
1.8.0 update broke a TON of plugin mods, so hard to say till someone tries it...
i was *just* thinking about going dual-monitor again real soon for some testing I want to do... theres this mod and one other I want to see if they still work in 1.8.1/1.9.1...
but wont be for a few days yet, at least.

Also, cant *believe* the last post above yours, is from *OVER TWO YEARS AGO*!! :O

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Also, cant *believe* the last post above yours, is from *OVER TWO YEARS AGO*!! :O

I know!  In two years there's been an explosion of multi-monitor setups.  I thought something like this would be much easier to find.

• 2 years later...
12 hours ago, physius said:

@linuxgurugamerSorry for the ping mate, but have you ever heard of this mod? Do you take mod revival requests? :wink:

Yes, I have heard of this, yes, I do take requests, and I might take a look at this.  it may be a simple recompile.

License is GPL, so I can do it, I'll see if I can do something with this over this weekend

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.