[1.0.4] ScienceAlert 1.8.9: Experiment availability feedback (July 13)

xEvilReeperx

OK! This file I've found! I deleted it and the ran the game trying to launch a rocket from VAB. As expected, the game crashed.

This is the entirety of the log? Can you try going to the KSP folder, then navigating to /GameData/ScienceAlert/sounds, deleting error.wav and seeing if KSP still crashes? That's the first of three possibilities I can think of that might cause this problem. I'll look into the other two

Since the log is almost 200KB, I'll try to send it to you through a private message. Ok?

Just to clarify: I don't have any idea what to do with the log file, just where to find it :) Someone who knows more than I do (read: anything) about modding or this mod will need to be the one looking at the logs.

I was looking for something like this! To many times I had to keep spamming the "report" to see if I was in a new biome, or trying to remember what altitudes for diff planets/moons, etc. This'll help greatly! Kudo's to you.

This is the entirety of the log? Can you try going to the KSP folder, then navigating to /GameData/ScienceAlert/sounds, deleting error.wav and seeing if KSP still crashes? That's the first of three possibilities I can think of that might cause this problem. I'll look into the other two

Yes, this is the entirety of the log (I deleted the old log just before trying, to keep it small and save you some work).

I deleted the error.wav file and voilà: it worked! Showing icon on the very first try and all! Unfortunately, I tried one more time (this time going directly to VAB and hitting launch) and the game crashed... From this moment onward, the game returned to its previous crashing behavior...

Here is the new KSP.log: http://www.filedropper.com/ksp_1

Anyway, can you explain me what is going on? Shouldn't error.wav be loaded? And why didn't other people have this problem?

Anyway, can you explain me what is going on? Shouldn't error.wav be loaded? And why didn't other people have this problem?

I only had you delete error.wav because that was the last thing that was happening in your log before the game crashed. The chances of it being the cause were pretty remote but it was easy to rule out

Something just caught my eye though and sort of related to the MM error I was mentioning earlier:

[LOG 00:05:58.590] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
[LOG 00:05:58.590] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/old_ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

It looks like you created a copy of the experiment definitions but left the copy inside GameData. Assuming KSP/GameData/Squad/Resources/old_ScienceDefs/ScienceDefs.cfg is unneeded, could you move it out of GameData or delete it? I'm 85% certain this is the cause of the issue, and if so it's fixed (at least, the plugin won't silently fail) in the next version

Hi xEvilReeperx,

Thanks for this mod, makes it much more intuitive "when" to do science. I have added it to all of my ksp's's's and its working great in all of them.

There is a slight altercation with the BTSM mod though. Your science program works well with it except for the locations FlowerChild has adjusted height/time requirements for the science experiments.

Instances :

1) 0~10k on Kerbin in BTSM is a no science area. ScienceAlert pops up and gives the different sciences to test, using them opens the science dialogue but due to the restrictions in game that area gives 0 science as expected. What keeps happening is that even though I do the experiments through ScienceAlert it keeps asking to redo the same experiment as it possibly thinks there is data + science to gather.

2) Using the surface mapping device requires 1 hour for the experiment, if I use ScienceAlert it bypasses the 1 hour and gives the science.

3) When flying using a manned pod but the Kerbals have died due to lack of life support or power, ScienceAlert will bypass the dead kerbal and grant science even though there is no probe or an alive kerbal in the pod.

These are just slight issues and that's with a mod that alters science alot. This is still a very valuable mod to have for BTSM and I will continue to use it even in its current state. Just letting you know what does happen between the mods, if you are able to and would like to fix it I would be extatic.

These are just slight issues and that's with a mod that alters science alot. This is still a very valuable mod to have for BTSM and I will continue to use it even in its current state. Just letting you know what does happen between the mods, if you are able to and would like to fix it I would be extatic.

1 & 2 are due to the custom ModuleScienceExperiment he's using. The stock game has no concept of requirements other than a bitmask for vessel situation, a bitmask for when biomes matter and a flag for atmospheres. I'll ask him and see if he can make some functions available to me that would let ScienceAlert ignore the invalid ones.

3 sounds like a bug, will fix :)

[...]

Something just caught my eye though and sort of related to the MM error I was mentioning earlier:

[LOG 00:05:58.590] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
[LOG 00:05:58.590] Config(EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION) Squad/Resources/old_ScienceDefs/EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION

It looks like you created a copy of the experiment definitions but left the copy inside GameData. Assuming KSP/GameData/Squad/Resources/old_ScienceDefs/ScienceDefs.cfg is unneeded, could you move it out of GameData or delete it? I'm 85% certain this is the cause of the issue, and if so it's fixed (at least, the plugin won't silently fail) in the next version

I've deleted old_ScienceDefs.cfg and the game worked fine when I clicked on the Launchpad. Unfortunately, it crashes if I try to access the Launchpad through VAB (by clicking on that little green rocket).

So, here is the current KSP.log as usual (sorry to bother you with this): http://www.filedropper.com/ksp_2

Ah! I did these tests with error.wav back on it its place, ok?

Edited by jlcarneiro

Hi xEvilReeperx,

Thanks for this mod, makes it much more intuitive "when" to do science. I have added it to all of my ksp's's's and its working great in all of them.

There is a slight altercation with the BTSM mod though. Your science program works well with it except for the locations FlowerChild has adjusted height/time requirements for the science experiments.

Instances :

1) 0~10k on Kerbin in BTSM is a no science area. ScienceAlert pops up and gives the different sciences to test, using them opens the science dialogue but due to the restrictions in game that area gives 0 science as expected. What keeps happening is that even though I do the experiments through ScienceAlert it keeps asking to redo the same experiment as it possibly thinks there is data + science to gather.

2) Using the surface mapping device requires 1 hour for the experiment, if I use ScienceAlert it bypasses the 1 hour and gives the science.

3) When flying using a manned pod but the Kerbals have died due to lack of life support or power, ScienceAlert will bypass the dead kerbal and grant science even though there is no probe or an alive kerbal in the pod.

Your first issue goes away if you set this: xrmhsTe.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been meaning to report this for a long time but never got around to it. I'm not sure if it's just this mod or an interaction between mods but it happens a lot so if nobody else is getting it I can try it on a fresh install and see if it recurs.

The alerter frequently stops alerting me. When it stops, it stops for good and is broken until I reload the ship. F5/F9 works, as does jumping to another ship in map mode or leaping off to the space center and back. Anything that reloads the ship, suddenly bloop bloop I've got science to do. Then, 10 minutes later or so suddenly no alerts. Sometimes it's only a minute before it breaks.

The mod's good enough that I've been living with this problem, but it really makes it hard to use. I frequently don't know if the lack of alerts is because there is truly nothing to do, or if it's broken.

The alerter frequently stops alerting me. When it stops, it stops for good and is broken until I reload the ship. F5/F9 works, as does jumping to another ship in map mode or leaping off to the space center and back. Anything that reloads the ship, suddenly bloop bloop I've got science to do. Then, 10 minutes later or so suddenly no alerts. Sometimes it's only a minute before it breaks.

This sounds serious. The next time this happens, can you open your ingame log (Alt+F2) and see if there's anything being spammed there? A NullReferenceException in particular. If there is, I'd appreciate it if you could upload your output_log.txt somewhere so I can have a look

I've been meaning to report this for a long time but never got around to it. I'm not sure if it's just this mod or an interaction between mods but it happens a lot so if nobody else is getting it I can try it on a fresh install and see if it recurs.

The mod's good enough that I've been living with this problem, but it really makes it hard to use. I frequently don't know if the lack of alerts is because there is truly nothing to do, or if it's broken.

It happens to me, when I go on EVA and return.

The new Toolbar update (1.7.2) has broken this for me. clicking on the vial no longer gives the list of available science buttons in the right place - very occasional it will appear, but covering the toolbar:

Fv9Y05V.png

(pay no attention to the glitchy mun 'atmosphere', that was another mod version issue)

Looking into it!

Edit: This looks like an issue with the toolbar and how it now tries to avoid overlapping anything important. I'll let blizzy know. Can you guys confirm that the options window (right-click toolbar button) behaves very strangely as well?

Edit again: strangely in certain locations*, like when the toolbar's auto positioning code fails and it ends up overlapping something

Edited by xEvilReeperx

Can you guys confirm that the options window (right-click toolbar button) behaves very strangely as well?

Indeed. I've taken to right-clicking a bunch of times and eventually it will appear - once it has the normal sci menu will also appear though, albeit in that overlap position as shown in the picture above.

From Blizzy's notes:

- Folders and "drawables" (which are provided by third-party plugins) are now

prevented from blocking the nav ball and altimeter.

- Folders and "drawables" will now open in the same spot as they opened the

last time (as long as they fit on screen.) This should be helpful for third-

party plugin developers that provide "drawables" that may change their size

while being displayed.

It's probably an issue with how the position of the 'drawable' menu is defined.

I can confirm the same issue, didnt start happening till i updated to the latest toolbar version. 1.7.2. When i left click for a science alert, the menu seems to appear of the screen, i can only see the bottom leading edge of it, and cant move it it seems. Tried relocating the toolbar to different parts of the screen with no effect.