(RSS/RO) Constellation Essentials v1.3.1: Trusses, Engines, Adapters (Apr21)

BahamutoD

I did a test.

I modified the new 23.5 SRBs with alot of thrust and set one to node size 1, and another to node size 3, and yes, the one with node size 1 flexed alot more.

So I set the node_attach size of the leg to 3, and it still flexes alot if you have any (less than 1m/s) horizontal velocity while landing, mostly due to the momentum of the massive lander and the extreme grip of the landing foot. Setting PhysicsSignificance = 1, there's no flex at all, but I suppose thats a bit 'cheaty', and the extreme rigidity causes a jolt when landing that breaks stuff attached to the lander. Maybe if I can figure out how to get the suspension to work and/or somehow lower the friction of the legs, I can use this. I searched the addon dev forum and it seems that no one else has figured out the ModuleLandingLeg suspension either. I was able to figure out rover wheel suspension so maybe I could use that somehow. Just thinking out loud.

I did a test.

I modified the new 23.5 SRBs with alot of thrust and set one to node size 1, and another to node size 3, and yes, the one with node size 1 flexed alot more.

So I set the node_attach size of the leg to 3, and it still flexes alot if you have any (less than 1m/s) horizontal velocity while landing, mostly due to the momentum of the massive lander and the extreme grip of the landing foot. Setting PhysicsSignificance = 1, there's no flex at all, but I suppose thats a bit 'cheaty', and the extreme rigidity causes a jolt when landing that breaks stuff attached to the lander. Maybe if I can figure out how to get the suspension to work and/or somehow lower the friction of the legs, I can use this. I searched the addon dev forum and it seems that no one else has figured out the ModuleLandingLeg suspension either. I was able to figure out rover wheel suspension so maybe I could use that somehow. Just thinking out loud.

Yeah I gave you bad information on the surface attach nodes. Size does have effect

but, AVOID very very high levels of attach node sizes. On a whim I decided to increase surface attach size on a pair of SRBs to 24. After all, it must be 8 times stiffer than size 3 right?

WRONG.

It flexed like you would not believe. I mean they were warping in and out away from the fuel tank a good 10 meters. And the number of joints never increased above 3.

So, you could try varying attach node size; you can go above 3 and it does have effect but obviously weird things happen if you set it inappropriately. But I still think you're better off making them stack nodes.

Edit: Proot's comment has set off this weird thought that keeps playing in my head now. Rockets don't kill Kerbals. Players kill Kerbals....

Edit: Proot's comment has set off this weird thought that keeps playing in my head now. Rockets don't kill Kerbals. Players kill Kerbals....

:D

That moment, when you realize that maybe you're the Jeb of someone...

EMrknJP.gif

Only one Jeb a day?

I'm gonna do a test of node_attach vs node_stack.

Edit: I found pretty much no difference between stack and attach connections.

Edited by BahamutoD

Woowoo! I got leg suspension to work! Not spring hinges though unfortunately, but I don't think those are currently possible (I don't know of any parts that use them, stock or otherwise).

Here's a quick test. Obviously the settings of the legs in the video are super OP, but you get the idea.

Edit: Oh also, its using PhysicsSignificance = 1 in the video. Without it, there would be alot of forward/backward flexing.

Edited by BahamutoD

Woowoo! I got leg suspension to work! Not spring hinges though unfortunately, but I don't think those are currently possible (I don't know of any parts that use them, stock or otherwise).

Here's a quick test. Obviously the settings of the legs in the video are super OP, but you get the idea.

Edit: Oh also, its using PhysicsSignificance = 1 in the video. Without it, there would be alot of forward/backward flexing.

Incredibly beautiful and simple structure. Told you already about how much I want it? :confused:

Looks awesome, So many possibilities come to mind.

Will you be adding anything else to it? like the custom fairings with engine cutouts or solar panels and antenna ports? I don't mean to pressure you. I would just like a heads-up of what to expect before setting a launch deadline on my program and have to scrap some builds for a retrofit of new tech. :)

You know how it is, we are hooked on your products and just cant get enough...

I am making the custom fairings, but not sure what to do about the engine cutouts since it depends on how you personally mount engines in your lander. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe just the whole middle part of the fairing opens up like a bomb bay door.

What was the constellation mission? An extremely epic space fuel depot?

Constellation was primarily for going back to the Moon, like this:

But this mod is mostly aimed towards going to Mars with it, like this:

Edited by xzxvrx

I thought it was for Mars.

Constellation was a rocket program that could encompass a variety of missions. It wasn't for the moon or Mars specifically. Ares was to be the launcher developed to meet Constellation's needs. Its exact specifications have changed over time as well. Originally it was to use the shuttle's SRBs and SSMEs but that changed (that's pre-Ares). The exact diameter changed as well. Driving factors were changing payload requirements. So it started out as 8.38 m diameter and then expanded to 10 m and required the RS-68 motor instead of the SSME. Which is why launch dates kept getting pushed back until eventually it was cancelled.

Edit: now that I think about it, Mars was added in later when they needed a launch system to get the Mars components into orbit. That's not even Copernicus specific either I don't think. There's been a number of proposals over the years and it's hard to keep them all straight. That's why there's this confusion about Constellation I think.

I am making the custom fairings, but not sure what to do about the engine cutouts since it depends on how you personally mount engines in your lander. Any ideas? I was thinking maybe just the whole middle part of the fairing opens up like a bomb bay door.

Do the cutouts the way engines do fairings. Attach decouplers to each engine bottom and the 'fairing' appears. Not sure how that gets implemented except that there needs to be a separate mesh for it in the engine model. I'm sure there's details on it knocking around the forum.

Hmmm actually come to think of it, that's only a valid solution if you were going to model specific engines for this. That would prevent players from using their own chosen engines.

Do them as a separate mesh with attachment points in the cutout holes in the fairing so you can mount them on? And put decouplers on the cutout pieces so you can separate them.

Edited by Starwaster

I believe that is probably the best way to go about it since balance and engine lineup is going to be a major factor with the variety of builds and loads....

If I was to do it, I would probably make two openings, port and starboard, rounded rectangle type. Traveling from the bow to the stern of the vessel. I would protect the ships center while exposing engines mounted forward and aft somewhere along those lines.

In that type of configuration the engines could be moved for balance but travel to the port and starboard would be limited since there is no need for that. That would also allow dynamic engines or VTOL in some fancy builds.

Just my opinion... I know everyone has one just like everyone has something else...

Hope it helps.

Edited by Prowler_x1

I would think that making the bomb bay doors would allow for the most flexibility in choosing which/where the engines could go.

In other news, I'd give you my firstborn son to have your modeling skills.

That is, if he wouldn't be such a disappointment to you...

(Disclaimer: I don't have kids.)

I'm glad someone linked to this video, it's amazing. I have a 1080 copy that for some reason Youtube won't let me upload. if there's any requests I could set up a Dropbox link to it.

EDIT: I found the bookmark I had for the video from the graphics house that produced the images and graphics:

http://constellationprogram.com/startpage/movies/NTR_Mars09_1080.mov

All of the good imagery for Ares, Constellation, and Orion programs that NASA has published in on that site as well.

There's a download link for normal scale parts on the main page. It's not as updated yet since some of the part's don't fit too well in normal scale and its lower priority for me, but most of the parts are there.

Yeah, pretty cool till you start using it and find it has 9 thrust transforms, they're misplaced (no HotRockets for you...) the author is banned (dunno for what) and there's neither a nosecone nor lower separation motors. Oh, and they're too short for Ares V, they're Shuttle boosters. I've been using them in the CSS, but I'd be glad to have a new set of boosters made by someone reliable.

If you want to make your own 5-segments someday, send me a PM. A new 4-segment SRB would a very good addition to the CSS.