Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

I've never watched a Scott Manley video.

:0.0:

This is a confession that shocks me! :)

I quicksave before every important burn and quickload if something goes wrong, especially before aerobraking, I just quickload until I get a nice final orbit. It's gotten even worse with the new alt+f5 feature :(

Heck yes I do this. Get an orbit? Quicksave. Get ready to burn for surface? Quicksave. Now that maneuver nodes are persistent I'm quicksaving those as well. :blush:

I reverted the flight of my Eve impactor probe 4 times because each time I forgot to deploy the solar panels.

Testify, brother! :D

I have accidentally killed Jeb several times when fieldtesting my Eve landers because I forgot to save when the lander was on the pad and you cannot revert to launch after a quickload.

Each time I just went to the KSC and fast-forwarded a time a couple weeks until he miraculously showed up at the KSC again.

And of course, I have F9 imprinted on my right-hand middle fingertip.

I sometimes do entire missions that I want to do for my video series off-camera, to make sure the ship can do the mission. The test is almost invariably successful but then I tweak the craft and when recording, I find a mission-jeopardizing bug that my tweaking introduced but would not have been present had I just ran with what worked in testing.

This is not so much a confession as an angry fist-shaking at Jool, king of all Kerbal gods.

I don't use spaceplanes. The SPH and plane tech parts may as well not exist for me. I just can't build ones that work, and even when I import a solid design from the sandbox/forum, I can't fly the dang things. Getting into orbit is kinda doable for me, but landing's a suicide ride.

Even with all the parts available (from both stock and mods) I've used the same parts for the same lifter designs for months. I don't consider it a sin (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) except for all those parts not getting used that someone put the effort into creating. They just sit there in the VAB, their faces pleading with me to use them for something. Maybe when budgets are added I'll be forced to do so.

Oh ye who go about saying unto each: "Hello Kerbal!"

Dost thou know the magnitude of thy sin before the gods?

Yea, verily, thou shalt be ground between two boosters.

Shall the angry gods cast thy body into the sun?

Surely, thy sensors shall be put out with a large asteroid!

Even unto the depths of Jool shalt thou wander and

unto the land of Eve shalt thou be sent at last.

Surely thou shalt repent of thy cunning.

Forgive me Jeb, for I have sinned. (That's what you have to say right? IDK, I'm a protestant.)

I cheated on my first Duna mission. I used the infinite fuel because I underestimated the breaking burn, and didn't know of aerobraking.

I botched a transfer to Eve when KAC glitched on me, and had to pull the whole planet forward via hyperedit to restore my encounter.

I have hyperedited in parts I forgot, or found out I needed once or twice, rather than doing the dignified thing and sending a second ship.

I put my life of sin is behind me.

Just yesterday.. I had Bob on an EVA on Mun. Using his jet pack to fly across farside crater at high speed and he smacked HARD into a hill...pulverized instantly. And I just laughed and laughed till I cried.

I botched a transfer to Eve when KAC glitched on me, and had to pull the whole planet forward via hyperedit to restore my encounter.
You missed a transfer so you moved an entire planet. As cheating goes, that is epic.

I must Consider my Sins..

I have used Infinite fuel on purist saves.

I use F5/F9 without thought or consideration of consequence

I do not know the meaning of the word "reusable"

I use Kerbal Alarm Clock to calculate transfer windows for me

I have edited a save file to add electric charge upon forgetting to extend panels

There, all my sins have been confessed. May God have mercy on my darkened soul..

I am a serial game restarter. Once I get the tech tree unlocked I will maybe do one more mission, and then abandon it mid-flight as I've started a fresh save. I can think of only 3 or 4 saves that reached year 3. I don't think I've ever reached year 5.

This, only I don't even get through the tech tree...

Also, I've used Infinite Fuel. It's a lifesaver when the interplanetary ship runs out of fuel before making orbit and is hurtling toward an eternal solar orbit.

As others have said, I start grand projects I don't finish. Especially horrible when I was writing an AAR for it...

Let's see:

Forgetting ladders

Forgetting launch clamps

Forgetting to stage correctly

Used the highest time warp on way to the Mun

Forgetting to add docking ports to the Hubmax Multi-point connectors

Getting into orbit before realising that Jeb IS THE ONLY ONE IN YOUR SUPER-COOL Space Station.

I get bored of multiple fuelling missions to fill up large interplanetary mother ships prior to taking off. Especially when there are high part counts involved and the dockings take fooorrreeeevvvveeeerrrrr. I always do at least one fuel flight, but then I make a quick trip into the persistence file and pump all of the tanks full.

In my first hardmode save, my first Mun landing ended with nothing surviving except Jeb and his command pod. So I designed a two-seater, which also crashed during landing but left a second pod and Bill to keep Jeb company. So I designed a three-seater, which proceeded to crash and kill poor Bob. So I deleted the save.

I'm so sorry, guys :(

I use Mechjeb. For everything.

Using Mechjeb is ok. Trying to hold your with heading during long burns is a nightmare whith some rockets without MJ, thrusting normal or antinormal is impossible and flying your reliable lifter manually for the hundredth time is just a waste of time. The only cheaty thing about MJ is that it creates optimal maneuver nodes.

My biggest cheat so far was still relatively mild. I designed my first Eve lander to use all aerospikes underneath, forgetting that they couldn't be mounted on a stack decoupler (and I couldn't turn the lander upside-down on the ship, because the top had a chair). There was no room for an LV-T30/45 on the bottom, so I replaced the center aerospike with a 909. That was fine for landing (unpowered, parachute-only). But for the ascent, I still needed that aerospike. So while on the surface, I edited the savegame to replace the 909 with the aerospike I intended.

It wasn't long before I did another Eve mission, with a real lander-pod, and no save-editing, because both of those things made me feel dirty. :) That second mission was based around a LV-T30 in the center from the start.

Edited by NecroBones

Mission-wise, my biggest sins were leaving a couple of guys stranded, one each, at Eeloo and Moho for a little while, simultaneously. Neither of those missions had enough fuel for the return trip, so rescue ships had to be sent. But they were rescued!

I almost never watch my ascent speed, and launch at 100% all the time. I don't care about overheats either, as long as it doesn't explode.

I have never used the cheat-menu.

Edited by NecroBones

I´ve visited, landed and returned from every celestial body on the Kerbol system... and I still don´t know how to calculate Delta V :(

I´m not going to lie to you Marge, it has been fun from beginning to end because I´ve never approached KSP as a scientific game. I love trial and error, fly my stuff "by ear" if you may, but somewhere deep inside there´s the feeling that I should, you know, KNOW what the hell I´m doing.

I must confess too for the sin of my first ever Duna mission, of coming in way too steep for the drouge chutes to slow me down enough for the main chutes not to open and rip the craft apart with the shock of going from 400 m/sec to 20 m/sec

Boris

On the plus side the parachutes made a perfect landing........

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.