Confess your KSP sins

Red Iron Crown

Share the KSP-related things you really shouldn't have done but did, or things you really should do but haven't.

Please commiserate if someone does the same as you, or discuss interesting sins, but please don't criticize other people for their confessions. And please don't post until you've confessed at least one thing.

To get the ball rolling, my confessions:

I am a mediocre pilot. I can perform almost all maneuvers by hand, but almost none of them very efficiently.

I hardly finish any missions. I only actually execute maybe 1/5 of the missions for which I build ships. I love building and problem solving in the VAB and test flights, but I seem to get distracted by another design project before getting around to completing the mission.

I've never watched a Scott Manley video. No longer true.

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Updated.

I accidentally hit space center instead of revert to VAB and a Kerbal died.

I ran out of fuel on the return trip from Eeloo and Jeb had to get out and push. He made it home though.

I love building monstrous starships and sending them to Laythe. Every time I think there will be plenty of fuel, but none have ever returned. These things are abominations and ridiculously inefficient. Framerates in the single digits. They still look cool though.

I've never built a space plane, or even a plane that could LAND successfully... I have literally made only 1 "successful" landing, if by "Successful" you mean the Kerbal survived. I lost my landing gear... Almost comical now that I think of it.

I once left Jeb in a Minmus orbit when his capsule got stranded and never went back for him. I actually ended up deleting the save the incident occurred on.

Although I almost always play career, I've never finished the tech tree. Too much other fun stuff to do along the way.

Though I don't consider this bad at all there are others who disagree, so ill say it. I'm a good enough pilot, but I use MJ for everything.

I have only ever landed on laythe eeloo duna eve mun minmus and kerbin. I haven't even gotten near dres bop pol or ike, and only done flybys of moho vall and tylo.

I cant build anything with wings in FAR. I should not even be considered to be a possible engineer or designer for planes. I'm also pretty bad at planes stock, so...

Don't have the patience to fiddle around for orbital rendezvous - almost always get MJ to do that bit for me. Prev/next orbit buttons on manoeuvre nodes make it a lot easier but it's still a pain unless there's an intercept fairly soon. Much more likely to do my own docking now since I got the excellent navball docking alignment indicator (minimalist variant of navyfish's).

Also tend to restart saves with more goals in mind rather than stick with one. As a consequence there's some planets I've never even got a transfer window for, let alone visited. [Haven't tried to land on Eve yet, but that's for the obvious different reason].

And finally, I keep letting real life interfere and drag me away from KSP! Loads of overtime at the moment and it's usually 10pm by the time I even start the game :-(

I quicksave before every important burn and quickload if something goes wrong, especially before aerobraking, I just quickload until I get a nice final orbit. It's gotten even worse with the new alt+f5 feature :(

I never plan to return.

I once left Jeb in a space station for a few centuries.

I sacrifice kerbals I don't like the name of to the Kracken(this went up to 40 in one go)

I let mechjeb do my transfers.

My first career mode Mun landing is still there... it was manned.

I miscounted the number of kerbals that needed to be rescued from Duna so the driver had to watch the 6 he rescued from 230o lift off and return to Kerbin. He later covered the other 130 degrees though, which is nice.

I blew up the sun and watched ships run out of power.

On my first Moho intercept attempt I ran out of fuel just trying to match planes. I told myself "I'll only turn on infinite fuel because I'll come back and do it legitimately later" .......I've yet to make another attempt.....

I try to perfect my launchers and in space assemblies for my missions so that they equal enough Delta V necessary only with a relatively small amount of delta V to spare for miscorrections.

The result is that I sometimes badly plan the maneouvre nodes, get into trouble with SOI shifts, or simply waste delta V by not landing near immediately (in case the mission requires landing)

So when I find out a miss 100-200Delta V to get back or to finish the mission I hit ALT - F12 and press Infinite Fuel. Flaming at myself in the meanwhile that I failed again.

I also once tried landing 9 Kerbals on the Mun on a very low decent path. Couldn't see that mountain coming at muns Sunrise. I tried to evade the mountain (wasting that precise amount of delta V I had planned for the mission) and crashed into the mountain at 470+ M/s.

Bill, bob and Jeb were among them.

A couple more but these I find the worst atrosities.

I use a 6-section asparagus booster (now with the new parts) to lift EVERYTHING into orbit, no matter how small and when I'm lifting something small I don't bother to keep the speed down for an efficient assent, I only do that with the payloads the lifter was actually designed for. for example I once used the asparagus monstrosity to lift a single mk.1 command pod and a parachute into orbit

I try to build my space stations in one payload, no matter how large, because if I can't line things up *perfectly* it drives me insane But I'm getting better at this, mostly by designing my station modules so they're supposed to be 45 degrees out of sync, which is a lot less noticeable when I screw up.

I often build my planes/spaceplanes so that the cockpit decouples and lands by parachute because searching for a flat landing strip somewhere that isn't the space centre or the airfield on the island (or just designing a VTOL) is too much effort

I always return from the Mun or Minmus by just killing my sideways velocity, relying on gravity and trusting in parachutes to get me home safe because I can't be bothered with the whole sensible re-entry vector shenanigans.

In my last save, I built a mobile lab station in Munar orbit just because I wanted to use the mobile processing lab (despite the fact it served no purpose where it was placed) but accidentally entombed Bob in the cupola module with an RCS block, realising only too late. The station was far too heavy to land, and so he was still there when I ended that save and started again for 0.23.5 - although in my head Bob got home safe, because when he was no longer part of the game he could just smash the glass on his cupola module to reach the rescue ship.

Edited by Sophistry

I quicksave before every important burn and quickload if something goes wrong, especially before aerobraking, I just quickload until I get a nice final orbit. It's gotten even worse with the new alt+f5 feature :(

Came here to say this. I live on F5/F9. I refer to it as "simulation mode" :D

I always return from the Mun or Minmus by just killing my sideways velocity, relying on gravity and trusting in parachutes to get me home safe because I can't be bothered with the whole sensible re-entry vector shenanigans.

I do this too. I love coming home from Eeloo with a direct line straight down towards the center of Kerbin. I don't confess it though. I think it's the correct way to do things :D

I am terrible at aerobraking. Having botched two Jool aerobarking attempts including one destroyed probe, and completely missed Eve with another spacecraft I think that from now on I'll stick with long maneuvers with ion-driven probes for my interplanetary unmanned missions.

I cannot fly a plane, space or otherwise. Sure, I had moderate success strapping a pair of turbojets to the KSO Buran-style, but all other attempts at flying aircraft have led to me ditching in the ocean at best. Not to mention that I can never seem to design a winged craft that can get off the runway.

I have never landed a Kerbal on a body outside Kerbin's SoI. I know I can, but worries about mission architecture and the massive preparations needed have always kept me from this milestone, content to construct things over Minmus and the Mun for biome-hopping. The closest I got was my last save, in which I was planning a reusable 14-part (sans payload) interplanetary ship to take a crew to Duna and/or Eve to land on Ike or Gilly. But that was put off thanks to the ARM pack coming out.

I have never used a rover. Sure I've designed and ground tested a few at KSC, but I can never get one I'm quite satisfied with, or find a good way to launch and deliver it.

Edited by TerLoki

Came here to say this. I live on F5/F9. I refer to it as "simulation mode" :D

I have started doing this as well (Noted in my last video LOL).

I terminate all failed missions (on my test save), or missions I do not intend on completing even if it has the fuel to come and a full crew.

I have plans to send 30+ Kerbals into the sun. Not sure if this counts as a current sin, but I have wanted to do this for sometime now. Coming soonâ„¢

I refuse to use Kerbal Engineer or Mechjeb for dV numbers, although I do have Mechjeb I have not used that function of it to date.

I sent a Kerbal to his death by trying to land on Jool.

I think that is enough for now LOL

I do this too. I love coming home from Eeloo with a direct line straight down towards the center of Kerbin. I don't confess it though. I think it's the correct way to do things :D

To be fair, like gorging oneself on Dundee cake while my flatmates were away, this sin was more along the lines of "I feel I shouldn't be doing this, but it's a guilty pleasure and no-ones telling me to do otherwise"

I never return Kerbals from planets and moons.On every mission I have ever done where a Kerbal actually survives on a planet or moon, the kerbal gets stranded. One I managed to save many weeks after landing, and another one is trapped on Duna.

I occasionally steal other peoples rocket designs. I never take any credit, but it just doesn't feel as good as creating your own ship.

I spend more time playing KSP than I do with important things (homework, etc...)

Pretty much all I build are replicas.

A couple manned Duna missions, an Eve flyby and a Jool mission are my only departures. I also have never touched Minmus, Ike, or any of Jool's moons yet...

I care too much about how the craft looks, as opposed to how well it works

As long as it looks pretty and has roughly 200% more weight than it needs to, I'm set for life...

Ascent Guidance

Don't get me wrong, I know how to do it...just not very well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.