(Modded Career) Altair Aerospace: First Steps (Pic Heavy!)

After lurking around the forums for a couple of months and having 2 dry runs of various places and operations, I feel (barely) confident enough to have a go with what I've learned about KSP to give it a genuine go.

Project Outline

Altair Aerospace: Pantheon Initiative

The Pantheon Initiative is divided into three stages, each named for a different pantheon of ancient mythology.

Phase One is dedicated to the exploration of the Kerbinsphere.

Phase Two is dedicated to unmanned exploration of the entire Kerbol system.

Phase Three is dedicated to the manned exploration of selected bodies of the Kerbol system.

I'm not all that good a writer, but I hope to improve as I go along. Updates will be intermittent as I figure out how imgur works and how to organize all the posts.

I really like this community and I hope not to disappoint.

The first post should be up sometime in the next day.

Thank you for reading, and feel free to prod me with all the criticism you can manage!

-jocax188723

Basic Rules:

I am allowed one ‘simulation run’ on every mission. If I screw up the second time that’s it. I have to either send another one or give up and try again later.

I have to minimize Kerbonaut casualties. In the event of a casualty, the planetary or lunar body I was aiming for is off limits for one Kerbal year to simulate investigations, burials, memorials, etc. I’ll also follow in the step of tradition of placing a flag next to the flag pole at the astronaut complex for each fallen Kerbonaut.

I will be using Mechjeb for some of my landings. I’m still very new to precise landings and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mission 1-01 Alpha

Right. Without further ado, here’s Jeb with the first of the capsules I’ll be sending up.

Say hello, Jeb.

9goMm0Y.jpg

He’s here to test all the systems and check the science transmission net in the capsule, not to mention scraping samples of the launch pad just for kicks.

Jeb (being Jeb) then puts the capsule’s reaction wheels and structural integrity to the test by getting inside and flinging it all over the Launchpad.

VmBJ1Kv.jpg

Apparently, even the best of the best get a bit sick when spun around like that. Is Jeb looking a bit greener than usual?

sqk2Kz6.jpg

After a couple of minutes and a cooldown systems check that nets me more science, Jeb calls out a recovery team for the shortest recovery ever.

9NXPzGN.jpg

This lets me nick 36 science points for upgrades.

I grab the basics and the survivability and recovery equipment. That should help me along for a bit.

OtCYW8b.jpg

Jeb’s already knocking the door down on the VAB, clamoring to test the new gear.

8y8n8JG.jpg

So the engineers slap together a quick two stage rocket for him.

I’m not naming these, as they don’t form part of a system. They’re one off vehicles designed simply to fling Kerbals as far as possible to get things going.

Speaking of flinging Kerbals…

Mission 1-02 Beta

ShfGI7P.jpg

Well, Jeb looks mildly happy. Probably because he isn't in the air yet.

This is a simple two stage rocket, with a solid first stage and a smaller liquid second stage. The innovations that is the goo canisters that the engineers have come up with should help us net even more science.

Get ready to push the button, Jeb- Oh. Never mind.

GhlHvPY.jpg

The solid rocket sputters out at 10 kilometers and the LV-909 takes over, sending the ship streaking towards the west.

KGAhlxq.jpg

I take the time to open the canisters on the way up, and net the sweet sweet science I’ve been looking for.

IlqhHzT.jpg

Jeb tries to take a walk at the highest point, but wisely decides not to at the last second and yanks himself back inside.

0ycpZuA.jpg

I was aiming for the western edge of the KSC continent, but I’m slightly off and find Jeb plummeting towards the ocean.

pAfFf0e.jpg

Luckily, the parachutes open without a hitch and plops him quite gently in the sea.

5maC9y8.jpg

As Jeb calls for a recovery team, I take a moment to consider how to use all the science.

P7iBkqu.jpg

Taking the control and general rocketry nodes should allow me access to orbital flights, officially beginning the named series of rockets to orbit.

But that can wait for a bit. It’s a long walk back to the Space Center for Jeb…

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.