Space X - 7 Kerbal Dragon Rider - Falcon 9

TWVPOPV.png

Hi all,

Well Ive been busy and have finally finished testing my Space X Dragon Rider and Falcon 9 craft.

Initially the first, second, and crew pod where all capable of a powered landing.

But due to the ascent path the first stage would always come down over water. So I removed the legs and added chutes for a safe splashdown. :)

So now the second stage and the three kerbal command pod are capable of a powered landing.

The 4 kerbal Hitchhiker is brought down on chutes.

This craft also features my first ever attempt at a custom launch clamp. It will feed the Falcon 9 rocket for 2.9 seconds before clamps release.

I know the real launch tower is moved away before launch but this looks cooler!

HOW TO FLY

-Press T

-throttle up to max

-press space to start engines

-press space 2.5 seconds later

-when craft reaches 200 Meters per second turn east to 45 degrees

-release the first stage and turn level with the horizon

-reach 100,000 meter orbit

TO LAND SECOND STAGE

-Leave at least 120 units for the suicide burn

-start burning around 2000 meters and control the decent

-Release Dragon Rider and dock with what ever station you have for crew rotations

-Use Dragon Rider engines to perform de-orbit burn.

-release Hitchhiker after re-entry

TO LAND CREW POD

-Deploy landing struts

-Start burn around 1500 meters ABOVE GROUND

-Good luck, see video

Here's a video showing all stages and powered landings. I discovered Bandicam pause so I only recorded the good bits.

Recorded in one take.

And the pics:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Thanks for looking and Good luck with the landings.

MJ

DOWNLOAD:http://www./download/jxgpp48my19jv9s/Space+X%2C+Dragon+Rider%2C+Falcon+9.craft

BF390179B1EE42E11339520813C060BE057737F5

Edited by Majorjim

Majorjim you can try my ISS, I can give you the persistence file if you want and you can dock your Dragon to it!

Edit: never mind, I was gonna download it anyway, even if I lag, I'll dock it to my ISS no matter what!

Also are you using the Visual enhancement mod? I suggest you use thesonicgalaxy's Better atmosphere's pack, just look at some of my pics and you'll see, the best atmosphere's and clouds I have seen!Over here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/77523-0-23-5-Better-Atmospheres-V4-April-23rd-2014

Edited by iDan122

While I like what you did here, and I understand and appreciate your attention to proportional detail, here are some of my initial observations upon flying the ship:

-Stage 2 could use a skipper instead, you are already clipping the T30 inside the ship, and launching the ship underfueled, so you could add more fuel and a skipper to get it going a bit faster, would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying.

-It doesn't reach the ISS orbit of 422km, so for those of us who put their KSS at that orbit, we can't service it with this ship.

-I would like to see stage 1 survive the landing, and better yet have enough fuel to make an orbit and land back at KSC, powered, and on landing legs (the dream, though possibly unattainable).

-Why the three-wide OX-4L panels instead of Gigantors?

-I know you wanted to leave plenty of room for error, but if you are efficient about it (risking lithobraking), you can land stage two on under 100 fuel, my first attempt from 100km left me with 180 units (started at close to 280). Haven't tried to use it to send dragon all the way to the KSS yet.

-action grouping the OX-4L's would make them less annoying.

-The first time I landed the trunk, it immediately turned to debris on jettison (probably because I had no crew in it), but I'm not sure if there's a way to prevent that, if say, I wanted to take just a "supply run" up there.

Edited by Himynameisjake

While I like what you did here, and I understand and appreciate your attention to proportional detail, here are some of my initial observations upon flying the ship:

-Stage 2 could use a skipper instead, you are already clipping the T30 inside the ship, and launching the ship underfueled, so you could add more fuel and a skipper to get it going a bit faster, would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying.

-It doesn't reach the ISS orbit of 422km, so for those of us who put their KSS at that orbit, we can't service it with this ship.

-I would like to see stage 1 survive the landing, and better yet have enough fuel to make an orbit and land back at KSC, powered, and on landing legs (the dream, though possibly unattainable).

-I know you wanted to leave plenty of room for error, but if you are efficient about it (risking lithobraking), you can land stage two on under 100 fuel, my first attempt from 100km left me with 180 units (started at close to 280). Haven't tried to use it to send dragon all the way to the KSS yet.

-The first time I landed the trunk, it immediately turned to debris on jettison (probably because I had no crew in it), but I'm not sure if there's a way to prevent that, if say, I wanted to take just a "supply run" up there.

Skipper is OP

Gigantrons are out of proportion

How are action groups bad? I always use action groups for a lot..

You said you couldn't reach 422km, but you jettisoned the transfer stage first, which was supposed to take you there. Your own fault this time.

Hi, Himynameisjake, you really need an easier name to type! :confused:

Thank you for taking the time to download and comment on my craft.

I will try to respond to some of your points.

you: -Stage 2 could use a skipper instead, you are already clipping the T30 inside the ship, and launching the ship underfueled, so you could add more fuel and a skipper to get it going a bit faster, would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying.

Me: The Skippers are OP as IDan already mentioned. plus they are far too big for that stage. The under-fuelling is a result of over 40 test launches. for its intended

operations this is a good balanced amount.

I'm not sure what you mean by "would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying"

You: It doesn't reach the ISS orbit of 422km, so for those of us who put their KSS at that orbit, we can't service it with this ship.

Me: In my opinion, an ISS at 422,000 M is silly in KSPs tiny scale solar system. My thinking is most people would place a station around 100,000 M.

You: I would like to see stage 1 survive the landing, and better yet have enough fuel to make an orbit and land back at KSC, powered, and on landing legs (the dream, though possibly unattainable).

Me: I assume you read my post and saw that I had stated that the first stage does survive. KSPs limitations are the problem. You can switch to the first stage and land it but its over water so whats the point? So for the pedants I put chutes on the first stage so strictly speaking it does survive. In fact I have a version on my HD

that has legs and can land, as I stated before.

You: Why the three-wide OX-4L panels instead of Gigantors?

Me: FAR too big mate. I never considered them an option.

You: I know you wanted to leave plenty of room for error, but if you are efficient about it (risking lithobraking), you can land stage two on under 100 fuel, my first attempt from 100km left me with 180 units (started at close to 280). Haven't tried to use it to send dragon all the way to the KSS yet.

Me: Huh?? If there is fuel to spare, use it to get into a higher orbit!

You: action grouping the OX-4L's would make them less annoying.

Me: They are action grouped I just forgot to say so. Action group 2 as I recall.

You: The first time I landed the trunk, it immediately turned to debris on jettison (probably because I had no crew in it), but I'm not sure if there's a way to prevent that, if say, I wanted to take just a "supply run" up there.

Me: As far as I can tell you are talking about the Hitchhiker right? If it disappears with nobody inside put a probe brain in it. I never designed it for unmanned flight.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

MJ

I'll launch the Dragon tomorrow to deliver some crew to the ISS. Will post pics!

Cool thanks IDan!

I noticed a thing in IVA. my 'cool looking' docking port seems to clip a little into the cockpit blocking a bit of the window.

I will look into a new docking port that doesn't do this. Its a little thing as you can still click the windows and see out but it would be

better without it.

MJ

Edited by Majorjim

I'm thinking you can replicate a Mars One mission with the Dragon Rider, it is meant to be used on Ma... I mean on Duna too!

Yeah I saw that when researching this one. I'm going to do something with that. I need a good Duna/Mars craft.

Hi, Himynameisjake, you really need an easier name to type! :confused:

Thank you for taking the time to download and comment on my craft.

I will try to respond to some of your points.

you: -Stage 2 could use a skipper instead, you are already clipping the T30 inside the ship, and launching the ship underfueled, so you could add more fuel and a skipper to get it going a bit faster, would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying.

Me: The Skippers are OP as IDan already mentioned. plus they are far too big for that stage. The under-fuelling is a result of over 40 test launches. for its intended

operations this is a good balanced amount.

I'm not sure what you mean by "would also help with the fairing for those who find it annoying"

You: It doesn't reach the ISS orbit of 422km, so for those of us who put their KSS at that orbit, we can't service it with this ship.

Me: In my opinion, an ISS at 422,000 M is silly in KSPs tiny scale solar system. My thinking is most people would place a station around 100,000 M.

You: I would like to see stage 1 survive the landing, and better yet have enough fuel to make an orbit and land back at KSC, powered, and on landing legs (the dream, though possibly unattainable).

Me: I assume you read my post and saw that I had stated that the first stage does survive. KSPs limitations are the problem. You can switch to the first stage and land it but its over water so whats the point? So for the pedants I put chutes on the first stage so strictly speaking it does survive. In fact I have a version on my HD

that has legs and can land, as I stated before.

You: Why the three-wide OX-4L panels instead of Gigantors?

Me: FAR too big mate. I never considered them an option.

You: I know you wanted to leave plenty of room for error, but if you are efficient about it (risking lithobraking), you can land stage two on under 100 fuel, my first attempt from 100km left me with 180 units (started at close to 280). Haven't tried to use it to send dragon all the way to the KSS yet.

Me: Huh?? If there is fuel to spare, use it to get into a higher orbit!

You: action grouping the OX-4L's would make them less annoying.

Me: They are action grouped I just forgot to say so. Action group 2 as I recall.

You: The first time I landed the trunk, it immediately turned to debris on jettison (probably because I had no crew in it), but I'm not sure if there's a way to prevent that, if say, I wanted to take just a "supply run" up there.

Me: As far as I can tell you are talking about the Hitchhiker right? If it disappears with nobody inside put a probe brain in it. I never designed it for unmanned flight.

Thanks again for taking time to respond.

MJ

Hi my name is jake has been my username for everything forever. Lol

I'm just going to respond in-line, I'm on my phone.

I like that you took the time to figure out the fueling, the dedication to detail is appreciated. As for the fairing comment, some people (or at least me), don't like the structural panel fairing, and I'd be interested to see what a skipper with fairing would look like instead. Other than that, the staging is wonderful.

As for my KSS, I'm just silly I guess.

My stage one underwent spontaneous unintentional disassembly upon water landing, don't know what I did wrong.

I didn't actually try switching the gigantors in, was busy today, that was, as I said, just an initial thought.

While there was spare fuel, my initial thought is that it was nowhere near enough to get up to, and deorbit from 422km. I will try later and let you know.

I didn't try all the action groups, just 1, and when that didn't get me anywhere, I just assumed. Sorry.

Fair enough about the hitchhiker. I was a little concerned about it crashing before I could switch to it, so I didn't want to risk my kerbals immediately.

Again, I really loved your attention to detail, those were just my thoughts.

Back in October, forum user Jamie Logan made a Dragon with a Falcon 9 v1.0, using Gigantor solar panels. It actually looked pretty good! :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/51415-SpaceX-Dragon-unmanned-capsule-(plus-Falcon-9-Launch-Vehicle)-STOCK-REPLICA

They are too long (extend too far from the craft). I see what you mean majorjim

They are too long (extend too far from the craft). I see what you mean majorjim

Yup, a little too long.

Thanks for the reply Jake. (phew, much easier).

Let me know how you get on with it.

MJ

Just as promised:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

User notes:

Takeoff is very nice, I have to say that launch clamp is amazing!

When pitching, the rocket wobbled a little due to the fact that there are 9 gimballed engines, I suggest turning off gimbal on a few.

Other than that nothing that concerns me. I have to say the thing is a beast, does the job and looks amazing!

Just as promised:

http://imgur.com/a/xTTiM

User notes:

Takeoff is very nice, I have to say that launch clamp is amazing!

When pitching, the rocket wobbled a little due to the fact that there are 9 gimballed engines, I suggest turning off gimbal on a few.

Other than that nothing that concerns me. I have to say the thing is a beast, does the job and looks amazing!

Glorious! You just made my day IDan. Your ISS is magnificent!

I will try turning off some of the engine gimbals.

Thanks for the tip.

MJ

Forgot one more thing-the 2nd stage could use suspension turned on, makes it land a bit cooler. I landed it, realized suspension is locked, took off and landed again with it turned on :P

Landing 1st stage on land is possible if you launch with a heading towards the Island.

EDIT: after I release Mir pack, I'll release ISS after my exams.

Edited by iDan122

Forgot one more thing-the 2nd stage could use suspension turned on, makes it land a bit cooler. I landed it, realized suspension is locked, took off and landed again with it turned on :P

Landing 1st stage on land is possible if you launch with a heading towards the Island.

EDIT: after I release Mir pack, I'll release ISS after my exams.

Ok I will try the no suspension lock thingy. I can imagine

It sitting better with it off. Thanks again!

I knew it could be landed on the island or back at the KSC

(If you launch straight up) but as it disappears anyway

I left it with chutes.

Look forward to the station IDan!

MJ

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.