Rosetta, Philae and Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko.

Vicomt

2 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

Anyone have an image showing where this is in relation to the first place it touched down?

This video gives an indication of the location on the comet. Initial touchdown was at Agilkia in the Ma'at region before it landed at Abydos in the Bastet region.

ETA- you can also see the location in the photo posted earlier but the tiny red dot is easy to miss.

Edited by Reactordrone

On the 30th of September the Physics Dept here at the Uni I work at will hold a celebration for the end of the Rosetta mission. They built the ROSINA instrument on Rosetta. As a member of the staff I got invited too, how cool is that? They will have a life feed to MC in Germany, waiting for the last numbers and picture to arrive. There is a sweepstakes on the last transmitted results, some talks, presentations etc. Unfortunately this event collides with the thesis defense of one of my lads here at my lab... will be a full day I guess :) cant skip a space related event, right?

• 3 weeks later...

ESA will be holding various livestreams of press events today (where the final maneuver will be conducted) and tomorrow (where the final impact will happen).

A detailed overview of what is scheduled when can be found here: http://www.space.com/17933-nasa-television-webcasts-live-space-tv.html

Includes stream links.

Rosetta's final transmission will happen tomorrow during the descent, as the antenna will not be pointing at Earth anymore after landing/impact. Rosetta was never designed to land; this is merely depositing the spacecraft into its final resting place at the end of its long mission. But it will continue to take pictures and record data until the connection to Earth is forcibly terminated by the loss of line of sight during touchdown. Rosetta is preprogrammed to permanently shut itself down soon after. Pictures will be shared right after they come in and get processed, and a post-landing press conference / debriefing will discuss what science might be gleaned from the data received.

Edited by Streetwind

• 1 year later...

*drops the shovel, dusts off hands, and proceeds to read incantations from the necromantic tome*

Time to bring this back to unholy life! :cool:

Somebody laboriously searched for and stitched together certain OSIRIS images from some parts of Rosetta's extended mission, and motion stabilized the whole thing. The result may very well be the coolest thing you'll see this whole week.

Do you want video from the surface of a comet? Because that's how you get (almost) video from (almost) the surface of a comet!

Edited by Streetwind

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.