RoverDude

gameplay [1.0.5] USI Kolonization Systems (MKS/OKS) (0.33.1 - Planetary Logistics and Kolony Rewards]

14812 posts in this topic

Download via the USI Catalog Page

zt0JLmR.png

Always clear out old releases before installing. USI-LS is is supported and encouraged, but optional. TAC-LS is also supported. CRP is included.

See download for ChangeLog.

KNOWN ISSUES

• IVAs are not yet implemented, so some crew are missing seats.
  • Do not put stuff on top of inflatables without a decoupler or it will get lost inside of it when it expands.

Introducing the Modular Kolonization System

A world leader in corrugated paper products, Umbra Space Industries is now applying their formidable boxing and packaging skills into their latest product - the Modular Kolonization System - a series of interlocking modules for building long-term, self sustaining colonies on other planets and moons.

Modules Inspired by the NASA Mars Design Reference Mission 3.0

QXn9RPJ.png

What it does:

MKS introduces a series of parts specifically designed to provide self-sustaining life support for multiple Kerbals for users of USI-Life Support or (optionally) TAC-Life Support. While the parts will function without a life support mod, the design is centered around providing an appropriate challenge where players will weigh the costs, risks, and rewards of supplying missions exclusively with carried life support supplies, or in making the investment in a permanent colony. That being said, this is not just a single greenhouse part (although food production is part of the mod). Rather, it brings an entire colonization end-game to KSP in a fun and challenging way.

bzqhAlf.png

Design goals:

• Provide an option to build 100% self-sufficiency, but provide this at a significant cost in both time and effort in line with the reward.
  • Add the capability of having parts that can be launched as lightweight packages, then 'built out' in-situ.
  • Build a mechanism that forces part dependencies. For example, to get supplies the player must build a Kerbitat, which requires organics from an aeroponics module to operate.
  • Include resource exploitation through a mechanism that forces the player to choose their colonial sites carefully, and situate them with easy access to resources due to transportation costs.
  • Keep things at a very high abstraction level. The sweet spot of MKS is in construction and logistics management over a fairly abstracted system of resources.

For more info, be sure to check out the FAQ as well as the walkthrough.

If you've enjoyed MKS, awesome! If you wish to express that enjoyment by buying me a beer or a cup of coffee, click the button below ;)

btn_donate_LG.gif

License:

MKS is licenced under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported (CC BY-SA 3.0) license, which in layman's terms means:

• You are permitted to use, copy, redistribute my work as-is
  • You may remix your own derivatives (new models, alternative textures), and release them under your own name
  • You must credit the following people when publishing your derivatives in the download and forum posts: RoverDude (MKS parts, KolonyTools dll, Regolith), Garibaldi2257 (Inline Resource Model)

Additional Modules:

This package redistributes FireSpitter

This pack redistributes Module Manager

This pack includes USI_Tools License is CC 4.0 BY-NC-SA. Source can be found here

All relevant licenses are included in the download.

Edited by RoverDude
53 people like this

(Reserved for future stuff)

Edited by RoverDude
2 people like this

My god... This sounds ****ing epic!

I would have liked a bit more details, maybe a wiki site or something, but I'll definitely give this a go once my current game is done :)

My god... This sounds ****ing epic!

I would have liked a bit more details, maybe a wiki site or something, but I'll definitely give this a go once my current game is done :)

Wiki with an initial walkthrough on the GitHub site (Links in the first post) - Start with the ReadMe and follow links from there. Still a WIP but there's a series of reference missions to get you started.

Looks cool but, am I the only one who cannot get to the github pages? When I click the links it says "503 Service Unavailable

No server is available to handle this request."

Am I the only one who cannot get to the github pages? When I click the links it says "503 Service Unavailable

Looks like GitHub is down

Any chance you could include an cfg for CLS if not already planned? that would make moving kerbals around quite a bit easier when used with ship manifest.

Yay! Release!

Though I gotta prod again and ask, please include your version number in the zip's file name.

Looks cool but, am I the only one who cannot get to the github pages? When I click the links it says "503 Service Unavailable

For future reference: http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

1 person likes this

Any chance you could include an cfg for CLS if not already planned? that would make moving kerbals around quite a bit easier when used with ship manifest.

Already planned, just not for the first release :)

1 person likes this

Pretty cool stuff.

Whatever happened to that big chart showing how all the resources flow between and get converted by different parts?

Congratulations on getting to release! I'm looking forward to giving this a shot.

This is incredible stuff. Thanks for all the hard work and sleepless nights.

Congratulations! Did you make the TAC LS alternative cfg pass? I can't find them :)

EDIT: Found the folder with them on GitHub. Hope it's the correct one, just overwrote all of them after comparing them and seeing they are different.

Edited by smunisto

I think this might be my new favorite mod. Can't get home to test this. Great work!

I can't navigate github on my cell phone, are you sharing the original files for the models on there as well for modders?

FYI, you misspelt "Recyclables" as "Recycleables" in your resource defs. It would be...prudent to fix that.

This is... extremely detailed. It's probably going to take a while to figure out all the intricate details of this.

Then again, I'm not complaining. This looks absolutely amazing. I'll try this in Career Mode to unlock all the parts slowly, so I can see what I'm doing. Keep up the great work!

Whatever happened to that big chart showing how all the resources flow between and get converted by different parts?

Whoops - will need to add that

Congratulations! Did you make the TAC LS alternative cfg pass? I can't find them :)

Yes, it's on GitHub, will plug it into the main ZIP outside of GameData to avoid confusion

I think this might be my new favorite mod. Can't get home to test this. Great work!

I can't navigate github on my cell phone, are you sharing the original files for the models on there as well for modders?

Yep, models are up there, all under CC ShareAlike with attribution. Sharing is good ;)

FYI, you misspelt "Recyclables" as "Recycleables" in your resource defs. It would be...prudent to fix that.

Whoops! Looks like a hotfix...

This is... extremely detailed. It's probably going to take a while to figure out all the intricate details of this.

Then again, I'm not complaining. This looks absolutely amazing. I'll try this in Career Mode to unlock all the parts slowly, so I can see what I'm doing. Keep up the great work!

Right now they all unlock after Advanced Science, but the walkthrough on the Wiki gets you through the first half of the modules.

Ok fixed the Recyclables typo :P New zip up, can just copy the files over the old one. Also added the CoolBeer configs to the download.

hey there

i just wamted to thank you guys for an awesome mod.

brought back so much fun (and frustration with it..)

:-)

http://imgur.com/a/YDPPm

dont ask how I got those rovers to the mun. one disaster try after the next.. and sloooow flame rates too :-)

but I did it nonetheless

Sweet work! I've been following this for a while now, congrats on release! :)

hey there

i just wamted to thank you guys for an awesome mod.

brought back so much fun (and frustration with it..)

:-)

http://imgur.com/a/YDPPm

dont ask how I got those rovers to the mun. one disaster try after the next.. and sloooow flame rates too :-)

but I did it nonetheless

Very nice ;) I've used all kinds of combinations of sky cranes, rovers, etc. to move these things around myself... One of the reasons I added the radial KASable docking ports was because of sadness caused by dead docking ports or frozen ones ;)

:huh: so this was last updated in 2012 like the title suggests ??? lol

Rover, thank you so much for the hard work! Modders like you create the so wanted hardcore-ish endgame for many players like myself.

I want to ask you:

Could you list exactly which parts from Kethane to keep? I already use KSPI and I prefer its not-so-simplified resource creation, so I don't want anything from Kethane that doesn't have to do with MKS.

Is there any dependency between MKS and the Kethane tanks? Or the other Kethane parts, like the converters? Can I keep just the 2 scanners and the drills?

And if so - the drills will fill the MKS tanks properly, right, they don't need Kethane tanks in between or something?

Also - what would be the best way to align the docking ports on various models? Adding a hub beneath each module is not enough, as the landing legs are free-floating when radially attached. There are no visual guides on the modules themselves that indicate leg level placement.

Could you post those screenshots you have in the first post in full res?

I want to build a base, but I don't really have enough memory left for KAS(hence the desire to remove the not needed Kethane parts).

And those MKS tubes seem to need KAS contraptions to attach the modules with one another.

So far my best idea is to build a simple grapple crane using IR and the stock asteroid grapple to haul the tubes around and attach them.

And one last question. Do I need docking ports or tubes can just attach to the 6 way hub parts?

Like this example:

6 way hub - Docking port >< Docking port - Tube - Docking port >

or

6 way hub - Tube - 6 way hub

1 person likes this

Rover, thank you so much for the hard work! Modders like you create the so wanted hardcore-ish endgame for many players like myself.

I want to ask you:

Could you list exactly which parts from Kethane to keep? I already use KSPI and I prefer its not-so-simplified resource creation, so I don't want anything from Kethane that doesn't have to do with MKS.

Is there any dependency between MKS and the Kethane tanks? Or the other Kethane parts, like the converters? Can I keep just the 2 scanners and the drills?

Yep, all you need are scanners and drills. By the way - ORS support is on the roadmap for KSPI compatibility and to give folks an option who do not want to use Kethane :)

And if so - the drills will fill the MKS tanks properly, right, they don't need Kethane tanks in between or something?

Correct.

Also - what would be the best way to align the docking ports on various models? Adding a hub beneath each module is not enough, as the landing legs are free-floating when radially attached. There are no visual guides on the modules themselves that indicate leg level placement.

Could you post those screenshots you have in the first post in full res?

What I do is this... I assemble the entire sub-component in the VAB and aligh all of the legs on the floor, then I break it into subassemblies for transport to make sure everything levels out. On a side note, I am looking at adding a low-profile single leg piece for this case, but it did not make it into launch (like so...)

O6JeGhz.png

I want to build a base, but I don't really have enough memory left for KAS(hence the desire to remove the not needed Kethane parts).

And those MKS tubes seem to need KAS contraptions to attach the modules with one another.

Consider active texture reduction - I run about 40 mods right now, including KSPI, B9, KAS, Kethane, FAR, DRE, KW Rocketry, FireSpitter, Hooligan Labs airships, etc. Also - KAS is not required, they are just docking ports you can push around with a Rover :) KAS is just nice for when docking ports act flaky, or you want an alternate method of hooking things up.

So far my best idea is to build a simple grapple crane using IR and the stock asteroid grapple to haul the tubes around and attach them.

And one last question. Do I need docking ports or tubes can just attach to the 6 way hub parts?

I've done this myself. Technically you could also just use grapplers arms to connect MKS components, but docking ports make assembly easier, unless you want to launch REALLY big rockets and have a REALLY big sky crane ;)

Like this example:

6 way hub - Docking port >< Docking port - Tube - Docking port >

or

6 way hub - Tube - 6 way hub

First one if you're assemblng the whole thing in situ - second one if you are pre-assembling.