The unofficially official 0.24-Kerbapalooza Thread - Now extra #HYPETRAIN!

KvickFlygarn87

I just hope that we'll get to bring back multiple surface samples for money.

It'd be nice to actually have to sit and collect a decent amount of surface samples (and account for them in your design) to get mileage out of the task.

Reusable vessels. Reusable vessels. Keep rolling those two words whenever budget is mentioned.

Reusable vessels.

I hope all the people who couldn't find a reason to simulate parachuting booster stages when they fall out of the physics bubble can think of a reason now. I also hope we'll be able to recover spent booster stages with attached parachutes that fall out of the physics bubble come 0.24.

what do you mean 0.24 is out?

i dont see any download in my steam

Here too. I'm no steam user, but when I start the "Launcher" it shows me no update.

??

mmm.... :huh: do we really have to deal with such a thread on every single new articles post by Harvester in the news about incoming KSP update ?

Seriously, what's the point ? Pure waste of time on speculations which end into the void.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the jet engines once budgets are introduced. Make them too expensive, and spaceplanes become obsolete in the career mode. Make them too cheap, and conventional rockets become obsolete.

I don't think that for the majority of players spaceplanes can ever be more useful than rockets, even with them being cheap. An SSTO that can get a Kerbal to orbit and back is something that most of the players would eventually be able to do. But a fully stock SSTO spaceplane with the same capabilities as a rocket, will be far too complex for most players. That combined with the tediousness of landing makes SSTO spaceplane a novelty for most, instead of something to rely on for most of your missions. Correctly balancing throwaway rockets (Soyuz, Apollo) vs. reusable rockets (SpaceX's Falcon rocket, orbital fuel depots and space tugs) will impact many more people's career modes.

Here too. I'm no steam user, but when I start the "Launcher" it shows me no update.

??

0.24 is out

of the question at this point. They've decided to add more to it before release.

0.24 is out

of the question at this point. They've decided to add more to it before release.

Oh you troll :)

I hope it is soon, but I think it's highly likely it will break saves... Just a hunch.

I kinda hope not though, it's annoying.

from my point of view i would add a 3th mode instead of changing the second. I mean i would like to have:

sandbox

science

science and money and contract

or maybe an option to select wich ones i want like:

[]science []money []contracts

when you start a new game

I don't think that for the majority of players spaceplanes can ever be more useful than rockets, even with them being cheap. An SSTO that can get a Kerbal to orbit and back is something that most of the players would eventually be able to do. But a fully stock SSTO spaceplane with the same capabilities as a rocket, will be far too complex for most players. That combined with the tediousness of landing makes SSTO spaceplane a novelty for most, instead of something to rely on for most of your missions. Correctly balancing throwaway rockets (Soyuz, Apollo) vs. reusable rockets (SpaceX's Falcon rocket, orbital fuel depots and space tugs) will impact many more people's career modes.

The thing I'm worried about are jet-boosted rockets. Useful spaceplanes are hard enough to build, but if you remove the wings and add a few more engines, you get essentially the same performance in a much easier way. Even if you don't care about reusability, you can replace big rocket stages with small jet stages. That's possible even quite early in the career mode:

jet-boosted_to_minmus.jpg

This rocket landed on Minmus and came back. Jet engines and intakes were the only 90-point parts used, while the rest was 45-point or less.

The root of the problem is that KSP jet engines are lighter and more powerful than real jet engines of similar size, while rocket engines are heavier and less powerful.

Honestly I'd throw a couple months onto any expected release dates anyone may have just to be sure, there's probably going to be a lot of balancing involved now that we will have the three main aspects of career coming together in one update. Glad to hear this is the case for the .24 update though I don't know why but I already had this feeling that .24 was going to be underwhelming and I had already lost most interest in seeing the update released. the latest news has changed that a bit, I'm not as interested in the career features as others are, but an economy and contracts system will certainly be enough to keep me busy until the next version. Who knows, maybe this will be the update that truly sells me on the career mode anyway.

I'm hoping it will re-open discussion of [redacted features] - I won't name them just in case, though!

But Science + Money + [redacted feature] = complete single player to me, then it's just the tweaking it all so it flows nicely in a mission or even story arc, and then final polishing.

Multiplayer may take more work; the mod is still Beta (I think?!) and has various bugs that would need a big 'ole hammer to squash before any integration or re-coding can take place (they might use some of the code from the mod, they might start from the ground up and avoid all the bug squashing... we don't know until they say, this is pure speculation, but in my view only a matter of time... I'll go into more detail on that one when it's more apropriate!)

Glad that they have pushed it back; as I'm currently doing the Jool 5 challenge mission I've been rather distracted from some of the things in 2.5 (I will get back to you, circular asteroid base that serves no purpose! :) )

I'm hoping it will re-open discussion of [redacted features] - I won't name them just in case, though!

But Science + Money + [redacted feature] = complete single player to me, then it's just the tweaking it all so it flows nicely in a mission or even story arc, and then final polishing.

Multiplayer may take more work; the mod is still Beta (I think?!) and has various bugs that would need a big 'ole hammer to squash before any integration or re-coding can take place (they might use some of the code from the mod, they might start from the ground up and avoid all the bug squashing... we don't know until they say, this is pure speculation, but in my view only a matter of time... I'll go into more detail on that one when it's more apropriate!)

Glad that they have pushed it back; as I'm currently doing the Jool 5 challenge mission I've been rather distracted from some of the things in 2.5 (I will get back to you, circular asteroid base that serves no purpose! :) )

You are talking about resources, aren't you?

I hope they add the rest of the biomes soon too, without them I would think it would be hard to balance all of career mode.

I don't know what to think of biomes. They make for a good map, but I think they can be very tedious. As well as that, I think they allow you to get through the tech tree kind of quickly. You hear stories of people who get through the entire tree without leaving Kerbin's SoI. Everything in career mode should push you towards exploration further from home.

So here's hoping biomes on other planets can do this :)

You are talking about resources, aren't you?

well, yeah... or are there other huge game-changing things that got scrapped 'for now' that I've missed? :wink:

I can see it working a whole lot better once they have all 3 in, as they have stated that they should be interchangeable... I envision a Career Mode that starts you off with the basic parts, as you do now, and x amount of Kerbal-Dollars, which you then have to use to construct and fuel your rockets, so the first thing you will have to do after managing orbit and getting the first few bits of science unlocked (many have managed orbit from basic tech, right?) is to send up a scan satelitte (or a ship with specific module) to find the fuel deposit on Kerbin, and once you have a couple of mining rigs in place (say for ease the fuel is auto-collected and deposited at KSC). You can then sell the fuel for newer, bigger, better SRB's, or trade it for science (maybe individual part unlocks from the science tree).

I'm sure they will have gotten all this worked out in some grand-master-plan... yesterday, we took over our continent (.23.5). tomorrow(.24) the World (contracts), then the week after (.25) THE WHOLE UNIVERSE! (Resources/Kash) Mwahahahahaha! :D(Timeline not related to any normal timeline, or maybe not even time at all - all warranties void if jeb touches it.)

No, the update update is out, not the update itself, only an update on the status of development.

I would also want .25 to add mining.

Edited by EvilotionCR2