[1.1] Improved Chase Camera v1.6 (Apr 23)

BahamutoD

If you could make a video, it would be helpful.

I've been thinking about it, you really don't want the free chase cam on unless you're flying a plane in atmosphere so I'll probably set off by default.

Here it is, this attempt didn't show the movements that much, but you get the idea, by the way, it's not keyboard inputs, maybe SAS do this or the velocity vector get sick, don't know.

http://www./watch/8dbca8ydjah69t2/aeris4a-2b.mp4

Also you can see the camera switch 180° when plane suffer from some severe control issue, which is quite eyes killing.

I just had an idea. (No, really!)

Would it be possible to adapt this mod to work with the IVA cockpit view? Specifically, I'd like to be able to set a default view that's zoomed in and centered on the instruments. Then you could grab the mouse and look around outside the windows or wherever, but then when you let go of the mouse the view would snap back to the instruments. Think that might be workable?

The headtracking mod is just too rough and unreliable right now, but your camera mod might fill the gap, that's what I'm thinking.

m1sz - Nice flying! Is that with a joystick?

WhiteOwl, NathanKell - I could easily add that. Do you have any suggestions on how to let the user set the default angle?

Justin Kerbice - I'm not sure what the wobble is all about while its on the runway; I haven't seen that... The camera flipping around at the end has to do with the code that tries to detect when you're hovering around in VTOL mode. I'm trying to improve it.

--

I'm experimenting a bit with controlling the plane with your mouse, similar to War Thunder. I'll let you guys play with it in the next update.

Setting the camera angle, hmm. I think the ideal would be to let the user select a keybinding in a config file. If that won't work, I'd suggest something like Alt+click; I don't think that would conflict with any common commands.

Thanks for considering it. :)

BahamutoD, yeah, I'm using a joystick!

btw, using the camera control of the joystick, I get the same effect I get playing other games, camera moves slightly to where I point it and then goes back to his place afterwards. Could it be possible to have it working aswell in IVA?, not just like White Owl said, for mouse users (I use mouse too, but with joystick my right hand is busy :)).

Not sure If I'm making my point here. My joystick have one of these 8 directions button, and I binded it in the config to camera control. Works perfectly with your mod, and when I click to one of the directions, camera moves that way some degrees, then, when I stop pushing, it comes back. More or less what White Owl said for IVA using the mouse.

If you need more explanation I'll show it with a video

As I mentioned in m1sz's video, I oosted a suggestion asking for exactly this 18 months ago in this forum. Great work.

I even went so far as to make an issue in the bug tracker, but the devs never look there anyway.

As I mentioned in m1sz's video, I oosted a suggestion asking for exactly this 18 months ago in this forum. Great work.

Me too! I took matters into my own hands :)

Thanks for amazing mod! :)

You're welcome! Those were nice planes and great flying. I liked and subbed.

Addendum: About the IVA stuff... I gave it a shot, but it turns out that the IVA camera works differently than the flight camera, so it will take me more time to figure it out. (don't hold your breath!)

Edited by BahamutoD

Update:

V1.3.1

- Added config value for disabling the "Auto" camera (requested)

- Added config value for automatically snapping camera to default

angle (like the v1.1 behavior) (not in iva)

- Attempt to improve vtol mode

- Added experimental mouse control (Right-alt while ICC is enabled)

--

(Experimental) Mouse control:

Press right-alt while ICC is active to control plane with your mouse.

Plane will pitch/yaw towards your mouse (you still need to roll with keyboard).

yeah that's a problem, when I was trying to do some acrobatics, the camera went crazy when going under the tunnel in kerbtown, and under other buildings (not that there are many, but... :P)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Great improvement over the default camera, and i especially appreciate disabling the auto cam on launch.

However, over here this plugin has the annoying habbit of "snapping" to seemingly random directions, when it shouldn't. Basically, if i try to turn the camera while holding the right mousebutton, strange snapping behavior happens on button-release, and it never snaps to where i want it to. This only happens sometimes - not all the time - and seems to persist during an inflight session. If i disable the improved cam by pressing the hotkey, this does not happen.

Here's my configfile:

ImprovedChaseCameraConfig

{

//key for toggling Improved Chase Camera

ENABLE_CHASE

{

primary = Tab

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

//Default angle of chase camera (degrees above horizontal)

defaultAngle = 5

//set Field of View while improved camera is active (60 is KSP default)

setFov = 75

//improved camera is on automatically when switching to free or chase mode

defaultOn = true

//disable the auto camera (switches to free right away)

disableAuto = true

//enable to have the camera always snap back to default angle

autoSnap = false

//===========IVA Snap============== (ignore; not yet implemented)

enableIVASnap = false

//key for setting default position in IVA

SET_IVA_SNAP

{

primary = KeypadEnter

secondary = None

group = 0

switchState = Any

}

}

Edited by rynak
extra info

I know the issue. It's because when you rotate the camera, it set's that new position as the default position, and then it applies the rotation offset due to angle of attack. I guess this is the main bug to fix for a new version.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.