[1.10.1] SCANsat [v20.4] -- Real Scanning, Real Science, at Warp Speed! [September 9, 2020]

DMagic

12 minutes ago, DMagic said:

What @DStaal said, though I think the latest version is in a fairly stable state now; the BTDT anomaly window is also fixed in the dev version. An update for the pre-release should be coming soon, as well.

Right now what I need is some help with the resources.

Can anyone give me an up-to-date list of which CRP planetary resources (the ones that you can see in the stock resource overlay maps) MKS and Interstellar uses? I need to update the MM configs to get those fixed, and to get them working together properly.

I'll admit my only actual issue with the dev version personally is that I think the anomaly markers are ugly.  :wink:

The left (orange) column of this flowchart has all the MKS resources:

YYDXetX.png

@DStaal Thanks for that, now I just need Module Manager. :wink:

Do you mean the colors or the question mark icon itself, or both? The colors are just those used by all icons and overlays. I like the question mark, and I wanted something similar to what you see in KerbNet. I really hated the anomaly marker selection thing the old settings menu, so I just made it a fixed thing.

The question mark itself - I think it looks fat, and I dislike that it's hard to tell by looking at it exactly where it's intended to be on the map.  I tended to use cross-hairs in the older versions, as they didn't cover much of the map, and have a distinct centerpoint that they are marking.  However, appearance is always an opinion thing.

I'll admit I haven't looked much at KerbNet - it just seems to be an inferior copy of SCANsat whenever I try it.  :wink:

29 minutes ago, DMagic said:

I really hated the anomaly marker selection thing the old settings menu, so I just made it a fixed thing.

This makes me sad :(

I always liked to choose the marker that is a circle with a tiny dot in the middle, I feel like it makes it easier to zoom in on the exact coordinates of an anomaly to use for landing. Of course, SCANsat will still remain one of my must-have mods and I'm looking forward to seeing how the new version performs!

I might could rework the anomaly icon to work like the waypoint icon. The point of that icon falls at the actual location of the waypoint, whereas every other icon is just centered over the location. The anomaly icon could be changed so the dot is directly over the waypoint, maybe with the dot being changed to a circle.

For some reason I can't get accurate readings for Silicates with the Narrow Band Scanner. Every other MKS resource is fine, but for silicates I'm only getting the rounded numbers. It also doesn't show up in the Narrow Band Scanner part menu. Do I have to use some other part to scan for silicates?

@Calvin_Maclure SCANsat hasn't really changed since KSP 1.1; nothing major has been changed or added for KSP 1.2 (it works fine in 1.2.2, even if the AVC popup complains). And it has nothing to do with Orbital Survey Plus, though there are some possible conflicts when displaying the map view planet overlays.

@Loren Pechtel Yes, it will make a difference; the performance impact manifests as a little hiccup once per second, it's generally only noticeable at the highest one or two time warp levels and can be moderated by changing the scanning resolution. Handling of scanners that have finished a planet is something that I need improve. 

You can turn off the scanners manually or just go to the settings menu and turn off scanning for any completed planets.

I use to play with SCANSat back in the Alpha, but recentlyish started a 1.2 game and am hating KerbNet.  I have 2 questions.  Is there anything that KerbNet gives me that SCANSat doesn't (besides insta-survey from polar orbits)?  Can I manually place way points on the map?  I need this ability for my Rover autopilot.  Right now, it feels like a giant fight with KerbNet.  Thanks.

On 4/3/2017 at 3:57 PM, Soda Popinski said:

I use to play with SCANSat back in the Alpha, but recentlyish started a 1.2 game and am hating KerbNet.  I have 2 questions.  Is there anything that KerbNet gives me that SCANSat doesn't (besides insta-survey from polar orbits)?  Can I manually place way points on the map?  I need this ability for my Rover autopilot.  Right now, it feels like a giant fight with KerbNet.  Thanks.

You can place a landing point, but it doesn't work the same as a waypoint, and you can't select it as a navigation point in SAS.  If there is a way to do waypoints, that's specifically something I've wanted when using it.  Other'n that, I can't imagine anything that KerbNet would offer that SCAN doesn't do better except for the insta-ore scan like you mentioned.

7 hours ago, Krakatoa said:

You can place a landing point, but it doesn't work the same as a waypoint, and you can't select it as a navigation point in SAS.  If there is a way to do waypoints, that's specifically something I've wanted when using it.  Other'n that, I can't imagine anything that KerbNet would offer that SCAN doesn't do better except for the insta-ore scan like you mentioned.

The latest beta (over in the dev thread) can do waypoints.  I'd expect it to be in the official release when 1.3 comes out.

Yes, the dev version would be best if you need to create waypoints:

There are also many options for how resource scanning works; you can preserve the stock instant scan or use SCANsat-style scanning.

On 4/3/2017 at 6:57 PM, Soda Popinski said:

If you don't want to use a dev version check out Waypoint Manager,  I just came back recently from a long break as well and was overjoyed to find this.

9 minutes ago, Jikahn said:

If you don't want to use a dev version check out Waypoint Manager,  I just came back recently from a long break as well and was overjoyed to find this.

I was looking into this, but it seemed like you need to make a file to import custom way points.  I was hoping to point and click like in KerbNet.  Ah, never mind, saw on the changelog you can now add waypoints on map view on bodies other than the current one, which implies you could already do so with the current body.

1 hour ago, Soda Popinski said:

... Ah, never mind, saw on the changelog you can now add waypoints on map view on bodies ...

It's super easy to use, just click "use terrain altitude" and you can literally drag and drop the waypoint exactly where you want to on the body from the map view.  Then if you need it at a certain altitude for some reason you can edit that manually.

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be possible to get rid of the clutter?

Once a scanner has done 100% it would be nice if the data could be saved in the absence of the bird that did the scanning.  That would let me delete a screenful of birds that I will never deal with again except the few that mount communications relays.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

2 hours ago, Loren Pechtel said:

Would it be possible to get rid of the clutter?

Once a scanner has done 100% it would be nice if the data could be saved in the absence of the bird that did the scanning.  That would let me delete a screenful of birds that I will never deal with again except the few that mount communications relays.

Data is already saved independently of which craft did the scanning.

If you are referring to the need to keep a narrow-band scanner in orbit in order for certain readouts/overlays to work -- you really only need one satellite per body for that, so not sure how that causes "clutter"/"screenful of birds"... but if you must you can change the settings by disabling the "requires narrow band scanner" option (wiki: https://github.com/S-C-A-N/SCANsat/wiki/SCANsat-Resource-Settings#top-requires-narrow-band-scanner).