[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

What's next?

How about explosions? Lots and lots of explosions! Everyone loves explosions!

To be serious, getting a Agena and a Titan for Gemini would be really cool.

Also TKS could be need'in both a revamp and a some expansion, as the TKS-derived modules on Mir were really the meaty part of the station.

10 hours ago, Beale said:

What's next?

I'm interested to read what is wanted next (after Fuji). My first thought is TKS, but I have also thought of other areas that need work, such as Gemini and Fobos Grunt. 

Kind regards.

Wish List :
The 1.875 stuff I mentioned a few pages back, to be used as/with Angara 5 parts.
Finished/working Luna "egg" probe core part with built-in transmitter.
LK-700 capsule (I've had even LESS luck since the latest KSP updates) , just the capsule would be more than enough - the rest can be assembled with existing parts, but no existing pods go 2.5m (or 1.875m) to .625m with such a taper.
Slightly reduced scale LK lander to fit better with the Soyuz.
Lunokhod or Luna16/20/24 parts.

As always, thanks so much for the amazing work you do - for some of us, these parts packs completely define the game.

A full set of 1.875 fuel tanks and motors would be great! With HGR on permanent sabbatical, there hasn't been a mod that's provided quality 1.875 tanks. Since you've already got a few in game, seems like this would be a quick and very useful/welcome addition. 

Edited by DGatsby
grammar/word choice

14 hours ago, gooddog15 said:

How about explosions? Lots and lots of explosions! Everyone loves explosions!

Also TKS could be need'in both a revamp and a some expansion, as the TKS-derived modules on Mir were really the meaty part of the station.

7 hours ago, tjsnh said:

Wish List :
The 1.875 stuff I mentioned a few pages back, to be used as/with Angara 5 parts.
Finished/working Luna "egg" probe core part with built-in transmitter.
LK-700 capsule (I've had even LESS luck since the latest KSP updates) , just the capsule would be more than enough - the rest can be assembled with existing parts, but no existing pods go 2.5m (or 1.875m) to .625m with such a taper.
Slightly reduced scale LK lander to fit better with the Soyuz.
Lunokhod or Luna16/20/24 parts.

As always, thanks so much for the amazing work you do - for some of us, these parts packs completely define the game.

40 minutes ago, DGatsby said:

A full set of 1.875 fuel tanks and motors would be great! With HGR on permanent sabbatical, there hasn't been a mod that's provided quality 1.875 tanks. Since you've already got a few in game, seems like this would be a quick and very useful/welcome addition. 

I'm getting a big 1.875m feeling from these posts. Thanks for the feedback!

The TKS when revamped should include some new more-modular type pieces (Like the new Salyut!).

I have an image that I had forgotten to post earlier.

32cde5cf33.jpg

4 hours ago, Beale said:

I'm getting a big 1.875m feeling from these posts. Thanks for the feedback!

FWIW - a full TantaresLV Angara in 1.875 would probably not be too many parts.
1 medium tank
1 small tank for center/top extension
1 nosecone for boosters
1 engine

Just sayin ;)

9 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

1 medium tank
1 nosecone for boosters
1 engine

Just sayin ;)

Get Contares 1.6.1 Version and your wishes comes true ;) Ho Ho Ho :D

9 minutes ago, hraban said:

Trying to keep my mod/dependency count low.
I tried out the contares pack, I'd end up removing too many parts to justify adding it in. It's a great pack of parts, just overkill for the moment :)

On 24 December 2015 at 8:33 PM, xxhansonmaxx said:

How about a Kliper?

%D0%9A%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BF%D0%B5%D1%80_Inf

Klipper was in the making a while back, but never made it out of beta. I think it was something to do with aerodynamic cfgs that just weren't worth the effort  

On 12/24/2015 at 9:30 PM, Beale said:

M8 u r being mad cheeky.

I'm interested to read what is wanted next (after Fuji). My first thought is TKS, but I have also thought of other areas that need work, such as Gemini and Fobos Grunt. 

fite me irl m8

I would appreciate if work was put into Gemini at some point, seeing as I had no plans to do anything other than a 2-man pod. You supply the Gemini, I'll supply the Titan. :P

On 12/24/2015 at 0:31 AM, gooddog15 said:

Bluedog just released our Agena last week, and we have Titan parts (all of them) WIP at the moment, with release planned for some time next month.

Spoiler

5TVrLlk.pngta9Vu9b.png

EDIT: Also, I don't know if you're interested, but I found this website some time ago and it has been a very interesting resource. It's more reading than reference images, but if you ever wanted to do some more soviet probe stuff I think it's a good place to start. I am probably doing some more parts in the near future, particularly science and antennas, based on the stuff there. The main navigation of the site (ie, 'home') is broken, but near the top of the linked page there are links to the pages concerning the Sputnik and [early] Luna probe lines.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, MrMeeb said:

Klipper was in the making a while back, but never made it out of beta. I think it was something to do with aerodynamic cfgs that just weren't worth the effort  

But you could really stick a landing with it, like so:

tI6iIUj.png?1

On 12/25/2015 at 0:28 AM, tjsnh said:

1 medium tank
1 nosecone for boosters
1 engine

Just sayin ;)

Generic 1.875m parts I think could be very good. The size is more" fleshed out" than 0.9375m, but still lacking.

On 12/25/2015 at 0:38 AM, hraban said:

I think this is the best place for the Angara fix :) 

22 hours ago, kopapaka said:

OTRAG?
Low-cost rocket, one or two parts(one and four tubes - included engines)..

...and profit (and more explosions :) )

48modules.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/otrag.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jprkn8a5S3w

Haha! Could be fun (And fast!)

I wonder how the aerodynamics would handle this...

17 hours ago, dimovski said:

I've got to say, the latest developments here have me on the very verge of moving to a semi-recent KSP build!

But remember, Comrade Belykhlebovich, we always have an eye on you.

You are to imply I am not having an eye on you too?

10979668_1576894445860545_627408849_a.jp

Nice build!

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I would appreciate if work was put into Gemini at some point, seeing as I had no plans to do anything other than a 2-man pod. You supply the Gemini, I'll supply the Titan. :P

Bluedog just released our Agena last week, and we have Titan parts (all of them) WIP at the moment, with release planned for some time next month.

Reveal hidden contents

5TVrLlk.pngta9Vu9b.png

EDIT: Also, I don't know if you're interested, but I found this website some time ago and it has been a very interesting resource. It's more reading than reference images, but if you ever wanted to do some more soviet probe stuff I think it's a good place to start. I am probably doing some more parts in the near future, particularly science and antennas, based on the stuff there. The main navigation of the site (ie, 'home') is broken, but near the top of the linked page there are links to the pages concerning the Sputnik and [early] Luna probe lines.

I do the Gemini, you do the Titan? I like this idea :) 
We should agree on dimensions.

Thanks for the website too buddy!

7 hours ago, Jack Wolfe said:

But you could really stick a landing with it, like so:

Why the Kliper is no longer here in one picture... :wink: 

What is this?
It is a work in progress. Needs addition of stripes.
8ffd8c2b28.jpg

35ee6937d4.jpg

Some Various Patterns.

5eb69a1c2d.jpg

Edited by Beale

7 minutes ago, Beale said:

I do the Gemini, you do the Titan? I like this idea :) 

We should agree on dimensions.

Thanks for the website too buddy!

I'm making Titan at 1.875m because, well, that's what it scales to. I've already dove into 1.5m so you need not be as afraid of it as a size.

My 2 cents on the topic of sizing: There is a big variety of sizes in the small (<2.5m) rocket range. This most likely comes down to the fact that there have only been a couple bigger rockets. Assuming KSP ship scale is something like 62.5%-64% of IRL, so it's 0.625m in KSP for every 1m IRL. Therefore 3m (titan) is 1.875m, etc. The sizes I use are 0.625m, 0.9375m, 1.25m, 1.5m, 1.875m, and 2.5m. Smaller than 0.625m is a whole different story, but I digress. So personally I think it's just better to have a variety of sizes and make sure you have plenty of adapters. Tweakscale support is also good but you can get away without it (ie don't consider it a dependency).

BDB has some 0.9375m parts. If you're looking for more, some of the stuff in the Venera or Mars probe line might be worth a look.

On 12/26/2015 at 10:08 PM, kopapaka said:

OTRAG?
Low-cost rocket, one or two parts(one and four tubes - included engines)..

...and profit (and more explosions :) )

48modules.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/otrag.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jprkn8a5S3w

FASA has their Sergent Explorer rockets which are very similar.

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm making Titan at 1.875m because, well, that's what it scales to. I've already dove into 1.5m so you need not be as afraid of it as a size.

My 2 cents on the topic of sizing: There is a big variety of sizes in the small (<2.5m) rocket range. This most likely comes down to the fact that there have only been a couple bigger rockets. Assuming KSP ship scale is something like 62.5%-64% of IRL, so it's 0.625m in KSP for every 1m IRL. Therefore 3m (titan) is 1.875m, etc. The sizes I use are 0.625m, 0.9375m, 1.25m, 1.5m, 1.875m, and 2.5m. Smaller than 0.625m is a whole different story, but I digress. So personally I think it's just better to have a variety of sizes and make sure you have plenty of adapters. Tweakscale support is also good but you can get away without it (ie don't consider it a dependency).

BDB has some 0.9375m parts. If you're looking for more, some of the stuff in the Venera or Mars probe line might be worth a look.

1.875m Total Diameter could be very nice size. I think I will play around with some models... The reason behind the sizing sounds very good to me! 

b808605ba6.jpg
f4d24ca90f.jpg

I have a treat for my fellow Tantares junkies : A tiny monoprop lander that fits in the TKS cargo bay, and has enough Delta V to land on and re-orbit from Minmus (and similar sized low-G moons).

Crickett Lander

For context:
2qnxh53.jpg2hyh6w.jpg

v6uqzm.jpg

The .craft file I uploaded to KerbaX is a subassembly - use a "mini" size male docking port at the bottom of the TKS cargo bay. DO NOT USE A DECOUPLER OR SEPARATOR. Then attach the lander inside the cargo bay, connecting via the docking port. You may or may not need to right clock the docking port and "decouple node" or "undock" before EVA'ing a Kerbal to the command seat, depending on the design of your craft. Because of the way command seats work, the translation thruster controls are rotated 90 degrees. The K key will fire RCS "downward" relative to the Kerbal sitting in the chair.

This originated in my attempts to make a work-alike for the Langley lander that was supposed to go with the Gemini EOR-profile Moon mission, and would fit in the TKS cargo bay (which mounted between a Gemini pod and Service Module makes a failry convincing analog for the original NASA design). Sadly I wasn't able to get enough delta-V crammed in to return from Munar surface, but you CAN land this thing on the Mun for a one-way trip (if you're very careful). Further experimental testing on Minmus gave better results, and it proved practical. I'm using it now in my career-mode save, deployed from inside a TKS/VA as a Minmus lander.

The only caveat is that depending on your craft design, KSP may drain the tanks in the lander BEFORE the monoprop tanks in your regular craft, so check before detaching....

Anyway, enjoy! :D

Edited by tjsnh

25 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks!

Sadly no IVAs until Part Tools is updated...

Ah, ok. Is it because it is too hard to do or not efficient?

I feel like you have said something about that quite a few pages ago.

EDIT

Will there be a LFO TKS tank? That would be great for various 1.875m ships

*looks at Apollo CSM diagrams and Ven's Poodle Tweakscaled*

Edited by legoclone09

5 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

Will there be a LFO TKS tank? That would be great for various 1.875m ships

*looks at Apollo CSM diagrams and Ven's Poodle Tweakscaled*

Right now I am not sure. Maybe LK-1 is LFOX driven?

LK-1 Takes Flight

"Our Apollo"

d5ea6d0b10.jpg
2fda8a87af.jpg
e6fd21f513.jpg
516800912f.jpg
d919ad167c.jpg
a71f9712ef.jpg
eeb145764c.jpg

Edited by Beale