[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

@Beale Are you planning anything new for the LES? Might I suggest a two-piece version that would replace the need for those little octo-girders on top of the Soyuz?

Part #1: Basically the "new" Hippo LES

Part #2: A piece that acts as the "end" of the fairing, but also a spacer between the docking port and the LES. The shape could be something simple like a bolt-type shape.

This way we could jettison the LES, and still have a cap on the fairing for aerodynamic and aesthetic purposes.

Edited by DJ Reonic

On 02/02/2017 at 0:40 AM, kopapaka said:

Nice build! And payload.

On 02/02/2017 at 2:06 PM, Moiety said:

When are you getting to the Danes :D.

Looks good anyway :).

You're Danish eh Moiety?

Thanks!

On 03/02/2017 at 2:27 PM, DJ Reonic said:

@Beale Are you planning anything new for the LES? Might I suggest a two-piece version that would replace the need for those little octo-girders on top of the Soyuz?

Part #1: Basically the "new" Hippo LES

Part #2: A piece that acts as the "end" of the fairing, but also a spacer between the docking port and the LES. The shape could be something simple like a bolt-type shape.

This way we could jettison the LES, and still have a cap on the fairing for aerodynamic and aesthetic purposes.

Excellent idea! I will do this.

4 hours ago, Beale said:

Excellent idea! I will do this.

I've always thought the soyuz LES would be more practical if the bottom of it was a cylinder about the size of an "oscar b" tank, with a docking port on the bottom to match the "probe" most soyuz missions get topped with. Just my 2cents.

22 hours ago, tjsnh said:

I've always thought the soyuz LES would be more practical if the bottom of it was a cylinder about the size of an "oscar b" tank, with a docking port on the bottom to match the "probe" most soyuz missions get topped with. Just my 2cents.

It needs some thought, I will have to re-visit the LESes at a later date.

Tantares 1.0 and TantaresLV 2.0 GitHub Release
bUhDeSX.png
dYaSKsc.png

Tantares
Initial release of Soyuz and LK

TantaresLV
Release of Soyuz Rocket.

Being on GitHub, feel free to branch and fork the project as you please!

This version of Tantares is not compatible with crafts made in previous versions. Either use the old-version alongside this new version or backup your saves!
TantaresLV compatible with versions 1.0 and beyond.

Edited by Beale

On 01/02/2017 at 10:23 PM, Beale said:

The temperature as is because I have no idea melting points and materials, if you have suggestions I will implement.

Given the stockalike nature of the mod, my suggestion is basically just that, so sorry if this seems like something you already know and work towards.

Here are the standards for different crewed stock parts with internals:

1000-1200 / 2000        Mk1, Cupola, Lander Cans
1100-1400 / 2200-2400   Capsules
1200      / 2500        Mk2
1500      / 2700        Mk3  	

Fairings are 2600, heatshields go up to 3300, while 3900 is the absolute max in any part configs that I've found (liquid engines have 2000 // = 3600, and SRBs have 2200 // = 3900, I don't know the significance of the number after //= ).

So, since it's a high temp capsule with integrated ablator, I'd suggest setting it to 1500/3300 unless it produces issues (the capsule is spherical, but it does have higher drag than normal; I don't know what to expect from it over various reentry trajectories but presumably it's meant to be highly resistant). You've done something similar with the Fuji/Polaris capsule already — that has 1200/3600 (which imo is a bit high for a lightweight capsule in terms of gameplay balance; I'd give it no more than 2500).

If you want to be more realistic with the melting points, 4200 is about the limit for refractory ceramics and cermets (ie. hafnium and tantalum carbides) though values ranging from 2200 to 3200 are more typical afaik. 3600 (graphite) to 3900 (pyrolytic) is the range for carbons and is close to the stock value (3300 implies a safe zone, I suppose), though you could see down to 2300 for RCC (Shuttle wing material, so stock spaceplanes aren't far off). Tungsten & alloys are quite similar (3200-3600). Steels melt at around 1500 but suffer plastic deformation at much lower temps, around 900-1100 iirc.

Edited by Guest

I am a little lost... please forgive me if this is due to not paying attention, but... well its just that in all posts there is alwasy a mention to "old versions" of tantares... when I click the 'tantares' button it directs me to what is described as an initial version ... and in space dock the mod is claimed to be 1.1.3... so my question is: a) is tantares uptated to be 1.2.2 compatible? or b) old version still works all the same; and c) if not, where can i be sure I am downloading the current version?

10 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

I am a little lost... please forgive me if this is due to not paying attention, but... well its just that in all posts there is alwasy a mention to "old versions" of tantares... when I click the 'tantares' button it directs me to what is described as an initial version ... and in space dock the mod is claimed to be 1.1.3... so my question is: a) is tantares uptated to be 1.2.2 compatible? or b) old version still works all the same; and c) if not, where can i be sure I am downloading the current version?

The old versions are on Spacedock, which is what you found. The new (1.2.x) versions are on Github.

19 hours ago, String Witch said:

Given the stockalike nature of the mod, my suggestion is basically just that, so sorry if this seems like something you already know and work towards.

Here are the standards for different crewed stock parts with internals:

1000-1200 / 2000        Mk1, Cupola, Lander Cans
1100-1400 / 2200-2400   Capsules
1200      / 2500        Mk2
1500      / 2700        Mk3  	

Fairings are 2600, heatshields go up to 3300, while 3900 is the absolute max in any part configs that I've found (liquid engines have 2000 // = 3600, and SRBs have 2200 // = 3900, I don't know the significance of the number after //= ).

So, since it's a high temp capsule with integrated ablator, I'd suggest setting it to 1500/3300 unless it produces issues (the capsule is spherical, but it does have higher drag than normal; I don't know what to expect from it over various reentry trajectories but presumably it's meant to be highly resistant). You've done something similar with the Fuji/Polaris capsule already — that has 1200/3600 (which imo is a bit high for a lightweight capsule in terms of gameplay balance; I'd give it no more than 2500).

If you want to be more realistic with the melting points, 4200 is about the limit for refractory ceramics and cermets (ie. hafnium and tantalum carbides) though values ranging from 2200 to 3200 are more typical afaik. 3600 (graphite) to 3900 (pyrolytic) is the range for carbons and is close to the stock value (3300 implies a safe zone, I suppose), though you could see down to 2300 for RCC (Shuttle wing material, so stock spaceplanes aren't far off). Tungsten & alloys are quite similar (3200-3600). Steels melt at around 1500 but suffer plastic deformation at much lower temps, around 900-1100 iirc.

Really nice! Thanks man!

43 minutes ago, Daniel Prates said:

Sorry, latest spacedock version is 1.2 compatible. :) Github is where all future version go.

35 minutes ago, Kaput said:

No sun tracking solar panels for the new Tantares?

I figured too many variants already (7K-OK style + TMA style) x (Cylinder hugging + Flat retracting).
Adding rotating variants to all of those would be a bit overwhelming.

HOWEVER!

The parts are set up correctly to sun-track, it is just disabled - Go into the solar panel configs and change:

sunTracking = False

to

sunTracking = True

8 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

The github version has only soyuz and LK, right? Older versions had parts for vostok, stations etc. Or did I screw something up?

That's right, you may want to continue using old versions for more parts, but keep in mind they will not be compatible.

7 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

THESE ARE AWESOME!!! Are they going to be separate parts, or one part with an FSTextureSwitch or similar module?

I'm planning a Salyut 6 / 7 / MIR core (Longer, red stripes) and a Salyut 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 core (Shorter, grey).

As we discovered the last time around, none of the Salyut drawings agree with each other... so it will not be perfectly sized, but good enough.

It's an opportunity to find a new name! The Salyut's have been Vega for all versions, but what's the Tantares name for MIR? :P 

Edited by Beale

5 minutes ago, Beale said:

That's right, you may want to continue using old versions for more parts, but keep in mind they will not be compatible.

Well in any case what I did was to downoad the folder and install it manually, which I do not recommend. Doing the CKAN installation reveals many more parts. 

Now that I can fully appreciate how tantares looks today, many kudos to the developer! It looks increasingly better each time. 

18 hours ago, Beale said:

It's an opportunity to find a new name! The Salyut's have been Vega for all versions, but what's the Tantares name for MIR? :P 

How about Paz? Short, simple, and means the same thing. :)

add 2 to every letter in ANSI standard code so you become OKT
add 6 to every letter in ANSI standard code so you become SOX

:wink:

it's like HAL from 2001: a space odyssey ... subtract 1 on every letter so you become IBM

Edited by hraban