[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

5 hours ago, Legcutter said:

Who-o-oah! :o

Is it really what I think it is? It can't get any better)

Explanation below... :)

Full / Half Deploy Solar Panels

This is an experimental part, that probably will be simpler (Just a normal solar panel) in the full release of the MIR parts, but I am releasing via GitHub so those that can live with glitches / quirks may use it.

Basically, the dorsal solar panel part can be deployed in two stages, for two levels of power output.
It generally works very well

Warning - you must wait for one solar panel to fully deploy / retract before deploying the other, otherwise you will get one of them stuck in a semi-deployed state (see bottom picture) - this is not game-breaking but the reason why I will release simplified version of this part for main release.

YTY2WNS.jpg
JR0ujvL.png
DHpCffL.png
Y31J6vI.png

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

Right now we still lack a tug.

The Kvant might have had a purpose-built tug, but it seems a waste to bother with making one when it's a simple thing to improvise a tug from existing parts.

13 hours ago, kopapaka said:

Kvant :)

Nice tug! (And MIR).

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

I have a problem: I have a Spacestation with a T-PR9 Dockingport and a Soyuz with a T-4GZ Dockingport. I can`t set the T-PR9 as Target when i clickt to the 'Set as Target'-Button. And the two Dockingports won't dock.

Doesn't they work?

Thanks for spotting this, I do not use these parts so much so it is easy to miss (but, a big problem).
Will fix soon.

4DqtCLF.jpg

22 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Thank you. Is there anything I can do to make them working (edit cfg...)?

It's a cfg issue but I don't remember what it is...

Actually, does it work if you quicksave and then quickload? IIRC there still are instances of stock glitching docking ports like that.

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Thank you. Is there anything I can do to make them working (edit cfg...)?

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's a cfg issue but I don't remember what it is...

Actually, does it work if you quicksave and then quickload? IIRC there still are instances of stock glitching docking ports like that.

It was missing a required transform, I have re-exported will re-release soon.

ouct0uQ.png

34 minutes ago, kopapaka said:

Thanks!

Secret Kvant!

screenshot97.jpg?ver=0

The secret ISRU :cool:

Github

• Fixed small Soyuz docking ports
  • Kvant solar panels
  • Fixed MIR solar dorsal fin

Strongly recommend KIS + Cormorant Aeronology, having a lot of fun MMU-ing around the station and attaching the solar panels!

HIk4yPt.jpg
oSwaNIS.png

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Manimal said:

I have a problem that my Vostok capsule does not decelarate enough and plows straight into the ground at ~800 m/s. Trying to activate the chutes has them ripped off. I'm not using FAR. Am I missing something?

FAR is not supported. Also, IIRC Vostok isn't in New Tantares, so I doubt much will be done about it.

Sad, I liked that little thing.

Edited by minepagan

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

I installed the last Vostok and for me it works fine. Set Pe on descent to 40km and it will slow down enough to open Parachutes.

I will try this. I also noted on ~page 510 of this thread that it had been asked before. Thanks for the reply.

On 26/02/2017 at 1:05 AM, Jack Wolfe said:

The Kvant might have had a purpose-built tug, but it seems a waste to bother with making one when it's a simple thing to improvise a tug from existing parts.

I'd be interested in what people think for this, I'm game :) 
Also whether MIR / ISS FGBs should be same as TKS parts, or like with this new MIR / Salyut split they should be different.

5 hours ago, minepagan said:

Sad, I liked that little thing.

It's not gone forever fam.

Edited by Beale

GitHub

Minor solar panel balancing + Kvant texture improvements.

Warning - I'm fixing a few naming issues, so if you have crafts with these work-in-progress versions you might run into missing crafts, etc - recommend merge with the Github version than replace (or just wait for full release).

Naming issues - basically separating out 37K parts (Kvant and panels) into their own naming family. I might expand into more 37K parts in future...

1WyXbuT.png

Edited by Beale

22 hours ago, Beale said:

I'd be interested in what people think for this, I'm game :) 
Also whether MIR / ISS FGBs should be same as TKS parts, or like with this new MIR / Salyut split they should be different.

It's not gone forever fam.

Kwant had a standard short FGB taken from TKS/VA without a VA but a nosecone-fairing instead of the VA as protons jettisonable fairing used in TKS/VA launches only reached up to the interface between FGB and VA, with the VA having no additional fairing. The MIR modules as well as Polyus, Zarya and the still yet to be launched Nauka are based on the the longer FGB (consisting of the "sealed instrument compartment" пго-1 & пго-2 (the double cone of all FGBs) and the added пго-3 plus (not for Polyus) the docking adapter that where never to be fitted with an VA. So yeah - TKS and MIR FGBs should not be the same.

Edited by InsaneDruid

4 hours ago, InsaneDruid said:

Kwant had a standard short FGB taken from TKS/VA without a VA but a nosecone-fairing instead of the VA as protons jettisonable fairing used in TKS/VA launches only reached up to the interface between FGB and VA, with the VA having no additional fairing. The MIR modules as well as Polyus, Zarya and the still yet to be launched Nauka are based on the the longer FGB (consisting of the "sealed instrument compartment" пго-1 & пго-2 (the double cone of all FGBs) and the added пго-3 plus (not for Polyus) the docking adapter that where never to be fitted with an VA. So yeah - TKS and MIR FGBs should not be the same.

They were different lengths? I had no idea.
I believed the differences were cosmetic only.

Interesting, any sources you have handy are much appreciated!

MIR panels.

They have double the joints now! We can make a cylinder-hugging panel.

259lvnq.jpg
Ry5omtI.png

Edited by Beale

Sure, the cylindrical section of 290mm diameter is up to twice as long on Spectr, Priroda, Zarya and Nauka as on the TKS/VA or Kvant-2 and Kristall.

The FGB is adapted from the original DOS Modules. The 2900mm diameter section of 3510mm length was taken, as well as the 1200mm long taper to 4100mm, but the 4100mm diameter section was shortened and the bottom of the fuel tank from protons third stage was used to form the aft section (where the RD-0213 sits is now the docking port). This way the thrust load of the small diameter was nicely transferred to the best fitting diameter of the proton (as well as the reusability for the 4100mm adapters to mount the payload to the proton), and some headroom to install the second cockpit in the tks was found. Its the usual russian way - why develop something completely new, if existing parts can be adapted. Just like the whole service compartment of a sojuz was used in the first saljut instead of the rear docking section, then the new rear docking ring but still sojuz solar arrays etc etc.

You can see the development of the FGB (and the DOS) from the days of TKS/VA (just as decribed above) with the short 2900mm dia. section and (on the DOS "saljut3" - an actual Almaz - no frontal docking compartment but the remains of the interface that should hold the VA of the Almaz itself). Saljut 1 (never to carry an VA) had the docking compartment attached to the front of the 2900mm dia. section, and also Kristall and kvant-2 used such a three-diameter setup to increase the usable space. This very small diameter section was then ditched and the 2900mm section was extended instead, and later extended again with the small docking "globe" on front of Zarya.

You can also clearly see that the later TKS can carry two sets of the 4*2 arrangements of cylindrical tanks plus radiators - one on the "original" and one on the "elongated" hull of the 2900mm section.

Some images:

0ec83c071625.jpg

A "short" FGB:

71_45b.jpg

and a "long" one:

TKS_module_big.jpg

23 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Did the rest of the mir modules parts get removed for a revamp? I downloaded some of @minepagan's craft files but it said I was missing tons of parts.

That's right, though I am in the process of remaking them.

1 minute ago, InsaneDruid said:

-snip-

Some images:

0ec83c071625.jpg

A "short" FGB:

71_45b.jpg

and a "long" one:

TKS_module_big.jpg

Beautiful! Many thanks for you.

Very tight fairings!

vWPtgVq.png
rK8F2kz.png