[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

2 hours ago, DiscoSlelge said:

I think I can leave this here, my personal tribute to the new tantares update :

Hide contents

:rolleyes:
Just what do you think they will use as a background music...

Edited by Legcutter

I know this is a (kind-of) noob-ish question, but why are the old Tantares LV parts coloured, and the new ones aren't? Well, the new ones are coloured, but in a kind of greyish-beige, and it doesn't match up with the stock parts. It doesn't bug me that much, I still use the parts in my lifters, but I'm curious.

EDIT:

20 hours ago, Beale said:

*snip* Soon, I am currently reworking the textures that I already had - was not so happy with them. *snip*

Never mind... :blush:

Edited by NISSKEPCSIM

1 hour ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

I know this is a (kind-of) noob-ish question, but why are the old Tantares LV parts coloured, and the new ones aren't? Well, the new ones are coloured, but in a kind of greyish-beige, and it doesn't match up with the stock parts. It doesn't bug me that much, I still use the parts in my lifters, but I'm curious.

EDIT:

Never mind... :blush:

What in particular is less colourful now? I would be very embarresed if I had remade something even more grey! And would be able to fix it.

Okay, let's see...

Before:

n1_1.jpg?ver=0

After:

4fLvUPV.png

(Sampled from a simple Google search, 'old tantares LV n1' and 'new tantares LV n1')

Another example:

Before:

WlFJJHP.png

After:

Soyuz-1.jpg

As you can see, the colours are duller. Also, I read quite a few pages back that you can change the colour of the soyuz and other rocket parts. Is this still a feature, was it removed, or have I just not installed it correctly (or read the dependancies properly)?

@NISSKEPCSIM Nice pictures!

You're right, there was a little more contrast in older parts. Opinions on adding some more colour?

O5p2NY8.png In early year 2, preparations were beginning to de-orbit the Kerbinium M station.
CTndftH.pngThe original node module relocates to the underside node. Providing a more balanced centre of mass.
kjbKBJW.png The Kerbinium M station as of Year 2, day 15.
jd3S3vb.png An impressive achievement, but poor planning had crippled the station with limited capacity for extension and a weak structure.
LUvDm5F.png So it's time to burn it! Burn it!
DzmF9Dt.png Not long after, the Proton multi-body lifts of with the next generation of space station.
CQaTNjQ.png Kerbinium M2 arrives at a 150 x 200km orbit. It's a little basic, but we have plans.

Edited by Beale

For the N-1, I'd say something like dark olive green/dark grey with white - basically like the first image I posted. For the Soyuz, maybe an orange strip at the bottom of each booster, with a grey strip above that, and then white. Oh, I also have a little question - I see the the N-1 first and second stages have a more conventional design (large engine bells hidden by a shroud until decoupling) rather than the flat, compact disks I thought they were. Was I looking at a different design?

5 minutes ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

For the N-1, I'd say something like dark olive green/dark grey with white - basically like the first image I posted. For the Soyuz, maybe an orange strip at the bottom of each booster, with a grey strip above that, and then white. Oh, I also have a little question - I see the the N-1 first and second stages have a more conventional design (large engine bells hidden by a shroud until decoupling) rather than the flat, compact disks I thought they were. Was I looking at a different design?

It's an easy mistake because of this:

5159572429_2cca32dbc3_b.jpg

But, the reality (in theory) is more like this:
TaCD2L7.jpg

So the disk is kept, but the entire engine structure is revealed.

So, it seems like the new theme of new tantares is less modularability and more "recreate old stuff", since the soyuz main stage is now one part instead of two, etc. Is this what you're going for? If so, i'd be interested in upkeeping old tantares.

7 hours ago, SpaceToad said:

So, it seems like the new theme of new tantares is less modularability and more "recreate old stuff", since the soyuz main stage is now one part instead of two, etc. Is this what you're going for? If so, i'd be interested in upkeeping old tantares.

Hoping to be more modular than ever, not sure what you mean - the main stage is still three parts (Diamond tank, long tank and engine).
You are very welcome to maintain the older mod if you want, I would be happy to see it.

12 hours ago, Beale said:

Hoping to be more modular than ever, not sure what you mean - the main stage is still three parts (Diamond tank, long tank and engine).
You are very welcome to maintain the older mod if you want, I would be happy to see it.

I think that he is talking about that the first stage engines are one part instead of engine+small gimbaling engine, actually there's something to it, I can say the same thing about the soyuz second stage and the N1 which is basically just 4 parts, but I don't know if it's necessarily something bad because some of these parts you can't really use that much on other rockets (N1 for example) so why not lower the part count if you can?

22 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Actually I like how the N1 is painted currently because in some of the N1 flights it was painted fully white and with the current color scheme it can be played as both versions if you have imagination, And I also think that soyuz rocket is just as grey as the previous one but it is darker which makes it look less stockalike

Edited by NeoFatalis

9 hours ago, NeoFatalis said:

I think that he is talking about that the first stage engines are one part instead of engine+small gimbaling engine, actually there's something to it, I can say the same thing about the soyuz second stage and the N1 which is basically just 4 parts, but I don't know if it's necessarily something bad because some of these parts you can't really use that much on other rockets (N1 for example) so why lower the part count if you can?

Oh, good point.

I should mean to fix that! :) 

SkCqv5X.png
ZGbieh3.png

yeah, I haven't really noticed any less modularity- the old N1 engine disks were pretty pointless to stick on anything (other than the 5m one) and I do like engines-with-tanks-on for my larger booster rockets- really cuts down on the partcount.

the N-1 second stage motor, for example, is a perfect one-stop-shop midrange lifter for Mun and Minmus launch sites, and the whole stack is perfect for lobbing big chunks of station or larger Munar missions off of Kerbin.

1 hour ago, Mechtech said:

yeah, I haven't really noticed any less modularity- the old N1 engine disks were pretty pointless to stick on anything (other than the 5m one) and I do like engines-with-tanks-on for my larger booster rockets- really cuts down on the partcount.

the N-1 second stage motor, for example, is a perfect one-stop-shop midrange lifter for Mun and Minmus launch sites, and the whole stack is perfect for lobbing big chunks of station or larger Munar missions off of Kerbin.

1 hour ago, dimovski said:

Can't comment on the engine parts unification as I use something else entirely... But I think white suits the rocket parts best, while outer-space parts look just fine in their shade of gray.

25 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I like the new colors better than the old. The grey-with-tan-accents theme certainly has more character then the old grey/white theme.

Thanks for the feedback, I will play with the colours when I have some time.

Boggo boggo.

It took some time to put on the custom normals, but the cargo bay looks good from all angles (unlike the stock cargo bays :wink: ).

f1GSO0p.png
sFTqhLk.png
6ZxuTeS.png
MlVpAZK.png
tiEzf9H.png
QsPTKv1.jpg

Just for comparison, this is what it looks before fixing the normals.

72S61zs.png

Edited by Beale

17 minutes ago, Beale said:

Thanks for the feedback, I will play with the colours when I have some time.

Boggo boggo.

It took some time to put on the custom normals, but the cargo bay looks good from all angles (unlike the stock cargo bays :wink: ).

f1GSO0p.png
sFTqhLk.png
6ZxuTeS.png
MlVpAZK.png
tiEzf9H.png
QsPTKv1.jpg

Just for comparison, this is what it looks before fixing the normals.

72S61zs.png

No sliding door? :(

2 minutes ago, Hay said:

No sliding door? :(

I decided to go with something possible within the laws of physics this time :wink: 

I would call it a form of balancing, you could place the previous bay anywhere, without a care for door clearance.

TR5OcV2.png

Edited by Beale