[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

how about a stock alike TKS and VA capsule

-snip-

Interesting!

It looks like a wet workshop kind of thing?

I'll do a bit of reading on this craft.

A few weirder ideas I had from fiction were:

The Hermes Lander

From the BBC's "Voyage To The Planets"

7275e399dc.jpg

Now there's one with some mass market appeal!

"Fishbone"

From the TV series "Planetes".

96651839b3.png

Kind of a space debris removal craft.

Concept Art Lander

From the same BBC show's production.

b23a5626d3.jpg

"Christ, how obscure can you get?"

"Fuji"

This one is a bit less fictional

35bca06509.jpg

A planned japanese spacecraft, I made this before, almost released, but scrapped the idea.

All in stock style, of course.

Something real (or real concept) would be good too.

These would be in a new "pack" to try and keep the Tantares/Libra pack "pure" and small.

Edited by Beale

How about some might-have-beens / alternates?

Mercury:

Here is the original Langley (Faget) Mercury design.

merc5806.gif

Here is the page for the USAF Project 7969 "Man-In-Space-Soonest" with the overview of all designs submitted and, further down the page, links to each.

You can see that both the original Langley Mercury design, and McDonnell's MISS submission, used the "headlight" reentry capsule reused on Apollo D-2 and on the Soyuz (though the Langley Mercury had a cap, and a fairing around the cap and down the sides).

For later-on Mercury might-have-beens, here's Grumman's submission to the final competition. You can see that Langley (and Faget) had clearly narrowed down the exact shape; there's little difference (other than the one-step rather than two-step cap, and the (?) drag brakes (?) at the top, between this and the McDonnell bid that was selected and became the real Mercury).

======

Apollo

Martin Model 410

zapmm401.jpg

General Electric D2 (or here)

geapocut.jpg

Convair M1

apollom1.gif

I had a few issues with modelling artifacts (that I've now fixed) that were ruining the entire thing, so it was put on hiatus. Maybe it will return soon!

Wow, nice! Love these old concepts.

The Martin Model 410 I'd never seen and it looks pretty enticing.

The Apollo D-2 I'd seen in the past and was quite interested. But, I don't think there are any good mock-ups of the exterior, right?

The only one seems to be the one found on Encyclopedia Astronautica and it is just the one angle, in black and white.

http://puu.sh/9qwmf/9a3cd9ab23.jpg

That just means you can make it however you want and the the nitpickers won't have any references nits to pick.

That just means you can make it however you want and the the nitpickers won't have any references nits to pick.

Haha! I'm sold.

Time to get the creative juices flowing. I think the D-2, Fuji would make a nice combo.

The exterior seems to have been just an aeroshell that, unlike Soyuz, was not jettisoned once in orbit. It served as "protective shroud." So basically, yeah, up to you. Probably should have a couple windows though...

There's also this, a different angle shot (showing the porthole in the shroud, presumably directly over the porthole in the reentry module).

soyuzge.gif

EDIT: There's more from up-ship and Space Drawings 17 also from APR, though it's $3.

Edited by NathanKell

The exterior seems to have been just an aeroshell that, unlike Soyuz, was not jettisoned once in orbit. It served as "protective shroud." So basically, yeah, up to you. Probably should have a couple windows though...

There's also this, a different angle shot (showing the porthole in the shroud, presumably directly over the porthole in the reentry module).

-snip-

Hmm, it does make a bit more sense shape-wise from this image. I'd suppose the Kerbal D-2, the aero-shroud would just become the body for sake of simplicity / keeping parts general use.

Might be tricky making it work with a docking port on the front, with it being so small (kinda needs one for game-play practicality, right?).

Could lay it out like this I suppose, with a perfectly cylindrical crew module. It feels inhumane to try and fit a Kerbal into a 0.625m cone though.

a7e9d6240c.png

782eca7f5c.png

Edited by Beale

Somewhat unrelated to the last few pages of talk, but I'm happy to show that the Libra can do its job (even with my piloting)! Something I've been doubting for a while.

1cec97e55d.jpg

Fuel count on touch down.

5928933a73.jpg

Literally empty on rendezvous. Had to do most of orbit changes with monopropellant (Got into orbit fine with LF&O though).

61f9c637d5.jpg

Tantares (version without an OM) after Kerbin return burn.

So this is all good, looks like I got the balancing right? I'd like to know if anyone has done this style of landing without running short on the Libras's rendezvous.

I sent a Tantares on a Mun rendezvous mission. Didn't start using the Tantares engines until after making Mun orbit. I had too little fuel left for the return to Kerbin and had to refuel from the Mun Station supplies. No worries though as this craft wasn't designed for Mun missions and it had extra payload for delivery to the station.

cRj8fTS.png

Tp8rEKS.png

for those wondering about about my progress with the texture switch config...

i have hit a rather big snag as it does not want to work properly

thread showing my problems

just informing those wondering

I played with the FStextureSwitch this afternoon and ran into the same thing. By the way the textures as supplied by Beale do have _tga in their file name (Tantares_Crew_1_tga.tga).

Beale: While it makes sense to keep the orbital module one piece with its fairing, I don't think it makes sense to do that for the reentry module, since it will (a) look weird and (B) not be stable, in reentry. Instead maybe you can do one of those auto-shroud things like engines (and the K-POLLO) have? That's if you don't want to mess with separate fairing parts.

Beale: While it makes sense to keep the orbital module one piece with its fairing, I don't think it makes sense to do that for the reentry module, since it will (a) look weird and (B) not be stable, in reentry. Instead maybe you can do one of those auto-shroud things like engines (and the K-POLLO) have? That's if you don't want to mess with separate fairing parts.

I get what you're saying, but there's a few tricky things with that setup.

fe1dd64246.png

The parachute needs to be full width so the OM fits "sleek" on top.

But when the fairing is jettisoned, the full width parachute will look weird on top of the small node on top of return capsule.

yeah i know and all the underscores(this _ ) not only makes this tricky but have really made it difficult for me to find the problem

Anything I can help with?

Why not extend the fairing past the parachute part, and have the parachute part be 0.625m?

Yeah, this is a good idea. I'll do some NERVA (or whatever it's called in-game) dual fairings that blast off in both directions.

also, could you post a picture of the orange texture?
You mean like the actual texture map or of in game?

You know the orange is pretty ugly in my opinion. I made it as a homage to the first mod craft I attempted to make, lets call it the proto-Tantares.

Hella ugly to look at now, but I was proud of it at the time. :D

About your question on deadly re-entry: I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible, the craft would just take the extra height of a heat-shield. You could add heat resistance to the pod config by copying deadly re-entry's config for the MK1 pod.

c3aec01002.jpg

df3370dfba.jpg

Edited by Beale