[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

9 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

does anyone still have a vostok capsule/parachute I can get compatible with 1.2?

The old one still works A-OK

but a little birdy told me someone is redoing it (not Beale)

24 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

does anyone still have a vostok capsule/parachute I can get compatible with 1.2?

As minepagan said, the old version still works. For the Vostok build I posted here recently, I simply copied VOSTOK from the PARTS folder of the old download and placed it in the PARTS folder of my New Tantares install. You can grab the old version from the Spacedock link in the first post of the thread.

Thanks guys. Another interesting thing i'm looking for are preferably monoprop tanks that look like the stock long cylindrical ones, but without the hideous brackets(?) protruding from the back of them. Here's a pic of what I'm kind of looking for: Craft pictures has 8 on descent stage, 4 on ascent. Anyone know of a parts mod? :)

Image result for russian manned mars mission

Installed the old Vostok parts.. Dunno what happened but Jeb ended up bailing out of the pod and exploded. I do my usual deorbit, but that pod was still hauling ass at around 600 m/s at 2km lol

Anyway Korolev Kerman tested a new 4t lander in a Duna simulation... Results were, less than promising. Out of 4 simulations, one made it to low orbit, but with fumes in the tanks. The other three sims failed due to explosive bolts failing to fire and disconnect the ascent stage from the descent stage in a 'vertical' manner.

This is how the Soviets made progress: Fly, Crash, Build Better, Repeat.

5N88k7e.png

62Beq7a.png

38YytQZ.png

t6kf4WA.png

Y6Hrkpt.png

7 minutes ago, Abrecan said:

This is how the Soviets made progress: Fly, Crash, Build Better, Repeat.

It's not the crashes wich made us first in the space at more than one single occasion.

:huh:

Edited by Legcutter

7 minutes ago, Legcutter said:

It's not the crashes wich made us first in the space at more than one single occasion.

Yes, to that point, but in all fairness the US had the resources, the Soviets didn't. There is a reason the Soyuz the by far the most reliable launch vehicle and spacecraft to date... It's years and years of improving on their designs, not scrapping an entire project (besides Buran [understandable]) to start completely from scratch. I will say imho the Space Shuttle was the worst idea for the time period, at least at the scale of the shuttle. Reusability was nice, but tell that to the 14 astronauts that perished because of that deathtrap.

1 hour ago, Abrecan said:

Yes, to that point, but in all fairness the US had the resources, the Soviets didn't. There is a reason the Soyuz the by far the most reliable launch vehicle and spacecraft to date... It's years and years of improving on their designs, not scrapping an entire project (besides Buran [understandable]) to start completely from scratch. I will say imho the Space Shuttle was the worst idea for the time period, at least at the scale of the shuttle. Reusability was nice, but tell that to the 14 astronauts that perished because of that deathtrap.

It's not only just that you are right about the resources, we're also sharing the same opinion about the shuttle size and mass. Making Buran similarly big was a silly step for us, I'd say. The smaller sized craft like that Spiral project was a better way.

Edited by Legcutter

5 hours ago, Abrecan said:

Installed the old Vostok parts.. Dunno what happened but Jeb ended up bailing out of the pod and exploded. I do my usual deorbit, but that pod was still hauling ass at around 600 m/s at 2km lol

The old Vostok pod's aerodynamics are slightly broken, it's difficult to land - but possible.

The re-entry profile I use, which seems to work 90% of the time, is to adjust your de-orbit orbit to an aps of about 100-120km, then burn retro until peri is around 30km. You'll drop down to safe parachute speeds around 2500m .. it also makes for a very long, and somewhat exciting/nervous, re-entry deceleration ... :-)

Edited by tjsnh

35 minutes ago, IronCretin said:

Not finished yet, but I've got the Blok-E, capsule, and capsule decoupler done.

That looks great! My poor cosmonauts are terrified of the current iteration I´m flying, after a number of not-so-successful test flights. Maybe this will calm their nerves a bit. :) Looking forward to seeing it completed.

3 hours ago, IronCretin said:

yMdPpty.png

Just so you know, that letter э on your block E upper stage should say Е, as that is the letter in the Russian alphabet corresponding to E. Just to give you an example, here's how the alphabet starts:

А, Б, В, Г, Д, Е, Ё, and so on, and so on.

4 hours ago, IronCretin said:

Not finished yet, but I've got the Blok-E, capsule, and capsule decoupler done.

Looks fantastic! Was the ballistic capsule for Voskhod somewhat similar in outward appearance to Vostok?

I.E., kill 2 birds w/ one stone :)

Edited by Abrecan

1 hour ago, Abrecan said:

Looks fantastic! Was the ballistic capsule for Voskhod somewhat similar in outward appearance to Vostok?

I.E., kill 2 birds w/ one stone :)

Yes, it was effectively the same, only it had the ejection seat removed to fit 1 (or 2) more crew

18 hours ago, minepagan said:

Yes, it was effectively the same, only it had the ejection seat removed to fit 1 (or 2) more crew

A-and one thing more - extra solid fuel booster as a reserve for deorbiting on top of the capsule (1).

i0284rp.jpg

Very quick question for you @Beale:

Which of the following two RCS ports (from Gemini) is the older version:
- G-000A RCS
- M-5HA Radial Control Thruster

And one last thing (just to be sure I dont screw up the file setup), how would you recommend I merge or combine both Tantares for KSP 1.1.2 and 1.2.2?? I recall you telling me that having them side-by-side would be fine. 

Cheers! (updating KSP and going through some troubleshooting stuff)

Edited by Calvin_Maclure

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok, seriously, has *anyone* else ever noticed how in space cutaway drawings, the people are always at like 2/3 scale? That *can't* just me me right?

They only send midgets (or PC term "vertically challenged") to space, saves on mass. Buzz Aldrin was only 3'11''; they just told the press that he was really far away!

1 hour ago, Kertech said:

They only send midgets (or PC term "vertically challenged") to space, saves on mass. Buzz Aldrin was only 3'11''; they just told the press that he was really far away!

Not just mass, but empty space also. Soyuz is not so big, and the man needs a suit, some cargo, and - what the nonsence - some empty space to move his limbs a bit. And first american astronauts are jenerally taller then soviet ones.

Edited by Legcutter