[1.12.X] Tantares - Stockalike Soyuz and MIR [26.0][18.12.2023][Soyuz Revamp Again]

Beale

@Beale when I was asking about IVA - I meant some issues with T-WU9 & T-9F1 modules - see explanation images here

Also, seems that antenna L-HG1 is not properly configured - there's no antenna related menu for it.

Used mod Tantares v1.0 downloaded from github.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

@Beale when I was asking about IVA - I meant some issues with T-WU9 & T-9F1 modules - see explanation images here

Also, seems that antenna L-HG1 is not properly configured - there's no antenna related menu for it.

Well, you see, that's called a placeholder IVA. Which means there is no IVA. If you want an IVA,

GO MAKE IT YOURSELF!

Rule #1 of being a mod user: If you want new stuff, ask nicely. Don't make it sound like a 'mistake' on the modder's part.

1 hour ago, Youre_avarage_Kerbal said:

hey, if you are interested, i got a new rocket for you to add to Tantares, its the UR-700 capable of lifting 250 tons into low earth orbit, maybe a scaled down version? the first stage and its boosters are very interesting

Is that the rocket that was planned-to-be-used-but-was-never-used-because-the-N1-program-got-the-upper-hand from the two candidates for the Soviet missions to land a man on the moon? The direct ascent concept?

53 minutes ago, minepagan said:

Well, you see, that's called a placeholder IVA. Which means there is no IVA. If you want an IVA,

GO MAKE IT YOURSELF!

Rule #1 of being a mod user: If you want new stuff, ask nicely. Don't make it sound like a 'mistake' on the modder's part.

You could keep calm & your caps for yourself. No need to be that salty. Especially, if my question wasn't for you personally (well, if you are not someone's representative poodle, of course).

When I mentioned "mistake" I meant my mistake (that I could proly miss something there when installed it, or else).

Edited by Horus

TL;DR bi-elliptical transfers are awesome.

This post is slightly long, you can skip to the next post

Short conclusion and the craft files at the end of the post.

Soyuz crew run

After learning about the bi-elliptical transfer I wanted to try it out. Salyut 1 station had been without a crew for little over year—on account of Pioneer 10 to Jool and Mariner 9 to Duna—so it seemed fitting to send some Soyuz craft that way and try this new found transfer type.

As a little side note: I entirely re-build my Soyuz craft  and rocket for this mission. It takes its likeness from the Soyuz TM. Against @Beale’s advice, it uses cylinder hugging solar panels because this allows for a tighter fairing.

First trial run

On board we have Jebediah and Bob Kerman ready to go. Jebediah is anxious to see if he remembered all of the new materials he had to study for this flight.

Soyuz-1.jpg
At the launchpad (hoping no-one notices the winglets that are in the wrong place).

Soyuz-2.jpg
Gravity turn.

Soyuz-3.jpg
Korolev cross (with a little help).

Soyuz-4.jpg
Second stage doing her job <3.

Soyuz-5.jpg
Second stage separation.

Soyuz-6.jpg
Fairing separation and final push to the parking orbit at 120 KM.

Soyuz-7.jpg
Third stage separation.

Soyuz-9.jpg
Unfolding of the solar panels.

Soyuz-10b.jpeg
Execution of the Hohmann transfer—which includes a slight plane change—to put us into our phasing orbit at 180 KM.

Soyuz-11.jpg
Setup of the bi-elliptical transfer.

Soyuz-12.jpg
First of three burns required to complete the bi-elliptical transfer.

Soyuz-13.jpg
Performing a so called fly around in which we align with the station before moving in to dock.

Soyuz-14.jpg
After the fly around we move towards the station at about 10 CM/s.

Soyuz-15.jpg
Nearly there!

Soyuz-16.jpg
6 hours, 4 minutes, and 27 seconds after launch we’ve successfully docked to the DPV’s aft docking port.

Totes Tantares

Bi-elliptical transfers are serious business, let’s do it again, for science. On board we have two new recruits, Wengela and Leeuna Kerman. Wengela will pilot the Soyuz and test out some new equipment we have on board. Leeuna will work with Bob Kerman to science the effects of space on the Kerbin rocks she took with her in her snackbox.

Spoiler

Soyuz-core-1.jpg
Launch at night.

Soyuz-core-2.jpg
Booster separation.

Soyuz-core-3.jpg
Powering through the atmosphere.

Soyuz-core-4.jpg
Second stage separation and ignition of third stage.

Soyuz-core-6.jpg
Third stage separation, unfolding the solar panels and antenna. We can now also see that this Soyuz craft is equipped with a C/P-AP9 Control Block so we can control it remotely.

Soyuz-core-5.jpg
Setting up our Hohmann transfer to the phasing orbit at 170 KM.

Soyuz-core-7.jpg
Executing our Hohmann transfer, once on the day side, and on the night side.

Soyuz-core-9.jpg
Setup of our bi-elliptical transfer, this brings us to within 100 meters of Salyut one. In reality they would keep a little more distance[1].

Soyuz-core-15.jpg
Fly around to align with Salyut 1. As far as I know you can’t target other parts other than docking ports, but in reality (for the ISS anyway) they align with one of the KURS antennas first.

Soyuz-core-17.jpg
Once aligned we start moving forward to Salyut 1.

Soyuz-core-19.jpg
So close….

Soyuz-core-20.jpg
Successfully docked!

Bonus mission

Now that we have a Soyuz craft we can control remotely we can send our pilots, Jebediah and Wengela, back to Kerbin.

Spoiler

Soyuz-return-1.jpg
Undocking.

Soyuz-return-2.jpg
Separation from the habitation module and service module.

Soyuz-return-3.jpg
Things are heating up, you can spot Minmus in the top left corner.

Soyuz-return-4.jpg
Pre-deployment of the parachutes at 4 KM.

Soyuz-return-5.jpg
Full deployment at 800 meters.

Soyuz-return-6.jpg
*auto-tune* splaaaash.

Conclusion

Bi-elliptical transfers are awesome. This whole procedure takes a bit longer than going straight for the station, but has its advantages. One advantage is that your relative speed to whatever it’s you’re docking with is much lower once you get there. This is because you already killed a lot of velocity during the velocity the transfer itself. With a Hohmann transfer you’d have to kill of half of your speed once you get to the target. My final relative speed in both cases was 16-20 M/s.

The setup of the bi-elliptical transfer took me a long time the first time because I needed to find out the phasing angle necessary, which was about 21.2º from the phasing orbit (180 KM) to the station (250 KM). I’ll be doing this more often as I send up new Kerbals to stations.

Fun fact, I took 154 screenshots during these missions.

1. I’m not sure how far from a station ships usually park, I saw 2 KM in a video clip once, but that was just the one occasion. If anyone has more information on this that would be great.

Craft files

Soyuz TM + R-7 rocket
Soyuz TM + R-7 rocket balanced for Stock
Soyuz TM with control block + R-7 rocket balanced for Stock

Edited by Moiety
Add some spoiler tags to shorten post length. Happy scrolling.

4 hours ago, Horus said:

You could keep calm & your caps for yourself. No need to be that salty. Especially, if my question wasn't for you personally (well, if you are not someone's representative poodle, of course).

When I mentioned "mistake" I meant my mistake (that I could proly miss something there when installed it, or else).

@minepagan is sort of an entrepreneur of "make it yourself". It's what he does when he wants something done, especially over at BDB. 

On a more serious note, Beale has stated many times how he stands on IVAs. I'm not sure if you'll accept this, because I wasn't asked directly, but I doubt we'll be getting IVAs and frankly it's not important to the functionality of the parts.  

33 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

@minepagan is sort of an entrepreneur of "make it yourself". It's what he does when he wants something done, especially over at BDB. 

On a more serious note, Beale has stated many times how he stands on IVAs. I'm not sure if you'll accept this, because I wasn't asked directly, but I doubt we'll be getting IVAs and frankly it's not important to the functionality of the parts.  

Thanks for info. I really appreciate friendly instead of "do-it-yourself" advice. The only reason I asked the question about IVA is that those black boxes were a surprise for me. It's not game breaking, of course. I just wanted to understand why it happened. I appreciate mod makers' work and never mean any offense. But "butler syndrome" advices (like that about "doing it yourself") in forum threads make me sick & angry.

12 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

@Beale, something I've always found confusing; is it pronounced tan-ta-res or tan-tares?

:D Not sure how to say, in my own pronounciation it would be "tantares" all in one go, pronounce the a like in cat, and the e like in bed.

I don't think the pronounciation matters that much, a few videos I have seen its pronounced Beale like Eel.

9 hours ago, Horus said:

Ah, I get you now - yes I am fixing this "black boxes" :) 
LK lander antenna also fix in the works for next release.

9 hours ago, Youre_avarage_Kerbal said:

hey, if you are interested, i got a new rocket for you to add to Tantares, its the UR-700 capable of lifting 250 tons into low earth orbit, maybe a scaled down version? the first stage and its boosters are very interestingur700a_1.jpg

It's a beauty! And a good favourite of mine, maybe after Energia :) 

@Moiety That mission is awesome! You need some TKS parts ASAP! :) 

Edited by Beale

9 minutes ago, Beale said:

It's a beauty! And a good favourite of mine, maybe after Energia :)  

Oh , are you planning to revamp Energia? Great! is it going to be a part of AB launchers or Tantares?

Edited by NeoFatalis

12 minutes ago, NeoFatalis said:

Oh , are you planning to revamp Energia? Great! is it going to be a part of AB launchers or Tantares?

If @hoojiwana can return then it would be where it is now in AB, but that is unlikely - so I put it here I guess.

Need thoughts on this, scale, etc. @hraban's Energia is already a good example of how to scale well.

Polyus is also very alluring recently, but MIR first! :) 

8 minutes ago, Joeybafoey said:

How is it pronounced?

Like the above pronounciation with 'a' like cat and 'e' like bed, but Beale is also an English surname (and Jazz song) so the 'like eel' pronounciation is natural.

Edited by Beale

1 hour ago, Beale said:

If @hoojiwana can return then it would be where it is now in AB, but that is unlikely - so I put it here I guess.

Need thoughts on this, scale, etc. @hraban's Energia is already a good example of how to scale well.

Polyus is also very alluring recently, but MIR first! :) 

Like the above pronounciation with 'a' like cat and 'e' like bed, but Beale is also an English surname (and Jazz song) so the 'like eel' pronounciation is natural.

FWIW - the existing scale on the AB parts works VERY well relative to the stock mk3 shuttle components to make a fairly convincing (and actually pretty damned well balanced, all things considered) Energia/Buran stack.

3 hours ago, trooperMNG said:

hey dude awesome pictures, but please, for the love of god, next time put all that under spoiler. Please.

Thanks, I’ve put the second and third mission inside a spoiler tag, that should help with everyones scroll-finger. There’s also a link at the very top to the next post if you want to skip the whole thing. Hope that helps.

2 hours ago, Beale said:

@Moiety That mission is awesome! You need some TKS parts ASAP! :) 

Thank you very much :blush:. And some TKS parts would be greatly appreciated :rep:. I still have “old” Tantares installed but try to only use the new parts. Here is the current state which includes the Kerbonov science module (aft) and Bealinov fuel module (-Z). Both have some “old” parts so will need replacing at some point.

Salyut-1-20170309.jpg
Current Salyut 1 config.

(crappy MacBook Pro graphics are crappy).

17 hours ago, Horus said:

Thanks for info. I really appreciate friendly instead of "do-it-yourself" advice. The only reason I asked the question about IVA is that those black boxes were a surprise for me. It's not game breaking, of course. I just wanted to understand why it happened. I appreciate mod makers' work and never mean any offense. But "butler syndrome" advices (like that about "doing it yourself") in forum threads make me sick & angry.

Yeah, apologies for the outburst. I was a little high strung, and probably shouldn't have been posting at all in that state.

On 09.03.2017 at 2:17 AM, Moiety said:

I’m not sure how far from a station ships usually park, I saw 2 KM in a video clip once, but that was just the one occasion. If anyone has more information on this that would be great.

Kurs docking system has a target detection range up to 400 km in narrow 7 degree sector in front of the ship, but usually ISS is locked at 180-200 km. Spherical detection radius is 50 km in case the spaceships were not aligned properly.

I can't really get what's the meaning of "parking", but after locking on target the Soyuz ship is usually closing up to ISS until the distance reaches 400 meters, then performs a fly-around near the station to align with a targeted docking port and then the final closing up is done.

On 09/03/2017 at 0:00 AM, tjsnh said:

FWIW - the existing scale on the AB parts works VERY well relative to the stock mk3 shuttle components to make a fairly convincing (and actually pretty damned well balanced, all things considered) Energia/Buran stack.

It's pretty good, based on a 2.5m Polyus

tGjnHVO.png690fs05.png

On 09/03/2017 at 1:40 AM, Moiety said:

Thanks, I’ve put the second and third mission inside a spoiler tag, that should help with everyones scroll-finger. There’s also a link at the very top to the next post if you want to skip the whole thing. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much :blush:. And some TKS parts would be greatly appreciated :rep:. I still have “old” Tantares installed but try to only use the new parts. Here is the current state which includes the Kerbonov science module (aft) and Bealinov fuel module (-Z). Both have some “old” parts so will need replacing at some point.

Salyut-1-20170309.jpg
Current Salyut 1 config.

(crappy MacBook Pro graphics are crappy).

Very nice! I approve of the Bealinov module of course :D 

Github

LK antenna fix (finally).

Very close to release now, only required to tweak the prices before-hand :) 

H7kYyzZ.png

19 minutes ago, Lexx Thai said:

BTW, Polyus - is TKS-based ship too. And goes to orbit in upside-down position.

It has a lot of surprisingly good renders available too!
Not bad for something so obscure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=67468&d=1376
neoK8UZ.png
fFMSIF4.png

15 minutes ago, Lexx Thai said:

Do you know about screensaver from this page (http://buran.ru/htm/scr_en.htm)? It has several modes and one of them shows normal work of Polyus at orbit.

No! That's really cool :) 

Tantares 2.0

Contains:
    - Soyuz
    - LK Lander
    - MIR Core Module
    - Kvant-1 Module
    - Sofora Truss

Pvp1sjA.png

Up next is Proton and FGB parts.

GdAcZMY.png