Tutorial: How to make robotic parts for the Infernal Robotics plugin.

On 25/01/2017 at 0:14 AM, /not/pol/ said:

What about Hinges? i want to make a one part hinge like in the KanadaArm pack by Jeast

EDIT: HOLY Necro. sorry moderators..

I suppose technically it's not a necro as it is still(yes really ) relevant, The answer to hinges is simply they are just a different shaped rotatron ,  There are two motions available ( unless its changed) sliding/extending and turning.  The only difference between a hinge and a rotary device is the mesh and the cfg;d stops

On 1/26/2017 at 2:31 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I suppose technically it's not a necro as it is still(yes really ) relevant, The answer to hinges is simply they are just a different shaped rotatron ,  There are two motions available ( unless its changed) sliding/extending and turning.  The only difference between a hinge and a rotary device is the mesh and the cfg;d stops

Thanks spanner. any clue about attach nodes and making them rotate with the parts?

Er... wut?

Spoiler

20170128073909_1.jpg

20170128073926_1.jpg

Also here is the CFG.

Spoiler

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = r_basepivot
module = Part
author = notpol

// --- asset parameters ---
mesh = r_basepivote_referance.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1
// --- Following source engine naming schemes ---
// --- get out of my cfg files ---
// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
node_stack_top = 0.0, -0.1779, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = actuators
entryCost = 0
cost = 100
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = r_basepivot
manufacturer = MAT Robotics
description = Basemount for the MAT-01 Rotic arm, warrenty void if design is discovered to have been taken from WildBlue Industries.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,1,1,1,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.2
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.2
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 15
maxTemp = 3000
breakingForce = 999
breakingTorque = 999

MODULE

{

name = MuMechToggle

translateJoint = True

/// --- xyz ---

rotateAxis = 0, 0, 1

keyTranslateSpeed = 0.30

translateLimits = True

translateMin = 0

translateMax = 180.0

stepIncrement = 0.01

translateLimitsRevertKey = False

jointSpring = 0

jointDamping = 0

onActivate = False

translateKey =

revTranslateKey =

fixedMesh = r_basepivot_referance

deltaMesh = r_basepivot_rotator_referance

invertSymmetry = False

servoName = Base pivot

motorSndPath = MagicSmokeIndustries/Sounds/infernalRoboticMotor // Motor loop sound path

}

Edited by /not/pol/

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/01/2017 at 0:47 PM, /not/pol/ said:

Er... wut?

Hi wow slow reply must stick a follow back on this thread, anyway what looks like is happening in your pic is exactly the same problem i have.    In that the whole object rotates, Instead of the hinge part rotating around the fixed mesh. 

Now here's the odd thing if i create two cylinders in unity and slap together a rudimentary rotatron , then drop both object under a game object, give it cfg load it up and it works perfectly, base stays still and the spinny bit spins.   now the models imported from elsewhere have exactly the same hierarchy and parenting and yet as yours  do, when loaded ,  they rotate the whole model instead of rotating around the named fixed mesh.  Once again with this I'm missing something obviously,  but apart from part names and where they came from they are hierarchically identical. Sticking at it here, if you manged to sort it out let me know how , and what the obvious error is :)

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2014 at 0:26 PM, ZodiusInfuser said:

From my experience the origin of the parts is where the robotics joint is created, meaning that when you put your meshes in unity you must align them so that your rotation/translation axis lies along the X, Y or Z. Here's some examples of what I mean (I highlighted the X and Z axes to make things clearer):

Finally got all my old stuff working and a pile of new stuff as well, having major fun making those arms and manipulators i've always wanted. 

The above quote without doubt is the most important and easily overlooked bit of info in this whole thread, It was not until i reread the whole thing i realized where I'd gone wrong, with having pivots for various meshes all over the place, though it makes sense to a noob that a ram for example would have the base pivot at the base , for IR this is a very bad thing.

ALL the pivots must be at zero  doesn't mater what shape your part is, does lead to some interesting node placement if using the stock cfg method , but I've started using Nodes instead as they are spot on and the angle is easy to set , and setting up the parts in 3ds means it's in the 10 minute mod category , ten mins from leaving 3ds to being in the game!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been brought up before,

Im a big user of the legacy free turning docking washer, its the princible part in low speed land trains having the traditional front wheels of a wagon set as a steering drawbar that turns the wheels to steer and follow the leading car/locomotive

Ive been trying to limit its rotation though without success

Any idea how we can have a rotating part thats free to turn yet be restricted by how many degrees it does?

Itd prevent trains folding in on themselves and track better

4 wheel steering does work and prevent it but rapidly gets complex

1 minute ago, Overland said:

Sorry if this has been brought up before,

Im a big user of the legacy free turning docking washer, its the princible part in low speed land trains having the traditional front wheels of a wagon set as a steering drawbar that turns the wheels to steer and follow the leading car/locomotive

Ive been trying to limit its rotation though without success

Any idea how we can have a rotating part thats free to turn yet be restricted by how many degrees it does?

Itd prevent trains folding in on themselves and track better

4 wheel steering does work and prevent it but rapidly gets complex

Hi what have you tried,? I have a couple of ideas but don't want to be duplicating efforts.. One thing that has worked for me in a similar situation is to use the fixed washer but increase the joint spring and joint damping values, what this does is give the joint some freedom,  you can (with tinkering) adjust it in such a way so that although it will be reasonably free to move it will want to self center, the fact that you will be moving will also help this effect. Plus i see you can set the limits on a fixed washer,  I am unsure as to if the limits would apply to the spring and damping induced freedom though, Only one way to find out though :)

• 6 months later...
9 minutes ago, kremonia said:

Could anybody say does

jointSpring = 0
 jointDamping = 0

works somehow? And is it is possible to reduce wobbling of overall IR mechanism with this. Thanks.

It should but what it does  is make the pistons ?  action very hard   so like a mechanical action rather than an hydraulic one.   I use those values to allow pistons to act as shock absorbers.  and rotary drives can also provide  damping on an arm connected to them.  These settings do not affect joint stiffness, It is quite easy for heavy parts to overwhelm the joints and lead to the part rolling around, part of this may be due to the built in unity snafus, or may be something that could be tweaked,   I seem to recall seeing a stiffness variable somewhere though. 

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

14 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

It should but what it does  is make the pistons ?  action very hard   so like a mechanical action rather than an hydraulic one.   I use those values to allow pistons to act as shock absorbers.  and rotary drives can also provide  damping on an arm connected to them.  These settings do not affect joint stiffness, It is quite easy for heavy parts to overwhelm the joints and lead to the part rolling around, part of this may be due to the built in unity snafus, or may be something that could be tweaked,   I seem to recall seeing a stiffness variable somewhere though. 

Thanks for the rapid answer I'll probably stick with hack at reddit with my Canadarm.

• 3 months later...

I will just post a link for relevant discussion about shock absorbers in other IR thread:

It is possible to create rotational absorber at least. Currently I'm searching for a way how to expose those mentioned spring and dumper values to rught click menu in SPH/VAB and if possible in flight too. Unfortunately I have hit a wall when I searched for possible options trough MM patches. Maybe someone with better knowledge can tell more about it ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.