Eyes Turned Skywards UPDATE now with Signup Sheet

NathanKell

Just heard back from nixonshead: he too is very excited to see this stuff in KSP. While he's busy enough he doesn't have a chance to work on low-poly models himself, he's fine with us using his work to make low-poly stuff from. We'll get them hosted and then you fine folks (more skilled than I at partmaking, that's for sure!) can work direct from source, and use source for baking.

Just heard back from nixonshead: he too is very excited to see this stuff in KSP. While he's busy enough he doesn't have a chance to work on low-poly models himself, he's fine with us using his work to make low-poly stuff from. We'll get them hosted and then you fine folks (more skilled than I at partmaking, that's for sure!) can work direct from source, and use source for baking.

This is amazing news! Maybe I could learn more from working with the direct source. Count me in!

Hello, everyone!

I'm e of pi, of Eyes Turned Skyward. I'm a Kerbal player myself--I've been watching the game for a few years, and finally started playing myself since December (current mission: Eve and return, practicing/testing hardware for an attempt at a stock Grand Tour). I was really thrilled to see Nathan's model of our Saturn M02/Apollo--and more than a bit relieved that it flew as well as my numbers said it should. ;) Anyway, I'm grateful that so many people are interested in helping with this. I figured that to help with answering any questions you might encounter, I might as well finally get around to joining the boards here. I have pretty minimal experience with modding myself, but I'm here to answer any questions about what the heck I was thinking or the like that might come up.

As far as goals...while I'd love to be able to see a final product where I could assemble Freedom and Mir, or fly Saturn Heavies to the moon and beyond, my main aim for any kind of "Eyes Pack" is realistic goals and a final product that will be useful and fun for people to add to their game. I'm excited to see what you can come up with!

I think we should gather a team than to decide who wants to do which part and to create a roadmap for development. However I'm very enthusiastic about this project, I myself am not experienced as a lot of other people around here so if anybody else want's to pick up the Block III, feel free. In the meantime I continue working on it.

8zJ01os.png

This might be of some use as a place-holder for some of the parts (middle unit flanked by the 2.5 to 3.75m parts, ignore the window I stuck on it) till someone else makes something better.

challenger-sml.jpg

I can provide the blender model for it in the mean time (There's a copy the in-game part here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39086055/SXT-alpha-16Pre-Release.zip).

e of pi, a hearty welcome!

Lack: neat!

Reddragon, I think you're right. So what I'm going to ask is that everyone who is not only interested in the mod but interested in helping *make* the mod post that they are (I know many already have...) and include

*about how much of a commitment they can make (many of us have other projects)

*what their skill areas are, and perchance previous work they've done

*what sort of things they are interested in doing, both in terms of the skill area (modeling, texturing, plugin coding, Unity work, stats, etc.) and in terms of the kind of part or thing (pods, engines, IVAs, repurposing other parts, making/coding a human EVA model/animation, whatever).

Then I'll make a big google drive spreadsheet and we can try parting out the workload.

This will also involve trying to figure out what assets we already have available that can be repurposed, and asking permission of the various mod authors.

Take it as an application.

Commitment/skill/interest:

*Since I have relatively a lot of free time (which is my only advantage) I'd say I can spend about 2 hours a day on average, more during weekends. I have a project going on but it absolutely lacks interest for now, so it can be secondary.

*I have really started to learn modding by myself about a month ago and about to create my first animated parts. As I said earlier I can create quite complex models by now rather easily. Texturing is more or less ok (in the need of more imagination).

*I'd stick with the modeling part. Messing around with .cfgs is fine. Unity import only for simple parts (couldn't figure out wheels and animated parts yet). As for parts: engines, pods, tanks.

Holy [redacted]! Yesterday I found out about Eyes Turned Skywards and surfed through the artwork page like a maniac just before going to sleep. As to be expected, I dreamed I was piloting the Apollo Block III+. I don't remember which rocket we were flying on, but I perfectly remember the moment when the orbital incersion burn was finished and we were weightless. I happened to be the Command Module Pilot, so it was my task to dock to the additional module. In my dream it was supposed to work like Spacelab and it was extracted like the LEM. I turned around, saw the "flower petal" fairings, docked to the orbital module, and then I realised: "We're in [redacted] orbit!" I took a couple of pictures of the Earth with my smartphone (I know, right?), and was so happy we were heading to SS Freedom, that... I woke up at 3:00 AM.

So today I drew some concept art around the Apollo CSM (a tug, an Orion-esque version, one with a habitat for long missions...) while I was in Chemistry class, counting the minutes to get home and recreate that stuff in KSP, and what the hell do I find? A group of the most talented modders decided to make an official mod!

:D

Hi guys! NathanKell dropped me a line about getting hold of the original .blend files I used for Eyes. I basically started using Blender last year, and Eyes was a great way for me to learn, but that does mean some of the original models are a bit... basic :wink:I only started UV-mapping with the more recent stuff, so there could be a lot of unwrapping and baking involved, and animating may be challenging with some. But anyone able/willing to take my models and run with them, go for it!

Regarding licensing, I'm happy for any of my original stuff to be used with or without attribution (with would of course be nice, maybe with a link to the Eye's Artwork Wiki, but I won't insist on it, especially considering I'm asking someone else to do a load of modding work!). Some of the models I've used are 3rd party, mostly from Blendswap or NASA. If you check the finished images on the Wiki, I include attributions there, so just make sure to include those if they're re-used in KSP. The only other thing I'd check is you might want to remove the NASA logos as I understand they sometimes get touchy about that (and a lot of NASA people use Kerbel!), but you guys probably know more about that than I do. The original logos (e.g. Artemis, Minotaur, etc) you can use with no restrictions.

So let me know where you want the files and I'll try to pull it all together. I'm also happy to answer any questions.

So I've set up a dropbox and I'll progressively add models as I finish tidying up the texture links. As a first experiment, here's a link to the Apollo models. Let me know if it doesn't work or if you have any other problems.

Good luck!

Hi guys! NathanKell dropped me a line about getting hold of the original .blend files I used for Eyes. I basically started using Blender last year, and Eyes was a great way for me to learn, but that does mean some of the original models are a bit... basic :wink:I only started UV-mapping with the more recent stuff, so there could be a lot of unwrapping and baking involved, and animating may be challenging with some. But anyone able/willing to take my models and run with them, go for it!

Regarding licensing, I'm happy for any of my original stuff to be used with or without attribution (with would of course be nice, maybe with a link to the Eye's Artwork Wiki, but I won't insist on it, especially considering I'm asking someone else to do a load of modding work!). Some of the models I've used are 3rd party, mostly from Blendswap or NASA. If you check the finished images on the Wiki, I include attributions there, so just make sure to include those if they're re-used in KSP. The only other thing I'd check is you might want to remove the NASA logos as I understand they sometimes get touchy about that (and a lot of NASA people use Kerbel!), but you guys probably know more about that than I do. The original logos (e.g. Artemis, Minotaur, etc) you can use with no restrictions.

So let me know where you want the files and I'll try to pull it all together. I'm also happy to answer any questions.

So I've set up a dropbox and I'll progressively add models as I finish tidying up the texture links. As a first experiment, here's a link to the Apollo models. Let me know if it doesn't work or if you have any other problems.

Good luck!

I must say these are wonderful. Thank you so much!

challenger-sml.jpg

I'm interested in the radiator array and the neat truss box thing and also the little antennas :)

Nothke made a texture for the Fustek module that is a lot like this, but I especially like all the little rails and arm grab points that I see here as well.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/timelines/challenger-sml.jpg

I'm interested in the radiator array and the neat truss box thing and also the little antennas :)

Nothke made a texture for the Fustek module that is a lot like this, but I especially like all the little rails and arm grab points that I see here as well.

In general as well, I think KSP could use some nice trusses. They're a very prominent part of the ISS after all (and Freedom here). I've been on the look out for radiators like that (ISS Style) and though I've used the interstellar ones sometimes, they're just not the same.

Another couple of updates, both related to Freedom.

Challenger

Truss sections

The truss sections are P1 and S1 (though I may have got the labels swapped around, I'm not sure now!) and one file for the outer truss (flip it and tweak to get port/starboard).

I've started adding any attribution needed in the ReadMe files, but to be honest there's virtually none in these so far (just the NASA worm IIRC).

Hey guys, I've been a fan of Eyes turned Skyward for a long time and have been constantly amazed by the level of work of both story and the epic artwork, so to be able to reenact these in KSP would be a dream.

I've started work on Spacelab and the files nixonshead have posted have been a massive help.

Very WIP untextured Renders:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm going to try to make it as modular as possible to allow the parts to be used with other creations. So the main Spacelab would be made of the Radiator Base, Spacelab Laboratory, Multi-Docking Adapter, antennas, and science experiments parts. The sizes are scaled so they can be used with FASA.

After this I'll start working on the Airlock module and the European Laboratory.

If you need my help with anything just let me know :)

Looking good so far :cool:

Another few models.

This is the Saturn 1C. It's the first rocket I modeled and very basic, to the point where it might be worth starting from scratch, or just using my models for the basic proportions. For a bit more detail, I would also recommend grabbing the J-2 and F-1 engines from Hlynkacg's excellent Saturn V model on Blendswap and using those (though don't forget to credit him if you do that, as his model's CC-BY!). I didn't link the textures for the Apollo Block III included in this file, just use the models from the previous pack.

More detailed, here are the Freedom Nodes, Unity and Harmony (simply swap out the logo file to change Nodes - see the ReadMe).

Lastly for now, the Columbus lab module (uses a lot of the same textures as the Nodes).

BTW, if you have any preferences on which models you'd like next, let me know and I'll bump them to the front of the queue.

Looking good so far :cool:

Another few models.

This is the Saturn 1C. It's the first rocket I modeled and very basic, to the point where it might be worth starting from scratch, or just using my models for the basic proportions. For a bit more detail, I would also recommend grabbing the J-2 and F-1 engines from Hlynkacg's excellent Saturn V model on Blendswap and using those (though don't forget to credit him if you do that, as his model's CC-BY!). I didn't link the textures for the Apollo Block III included in this file, just use the models from the previous pack.

More detailed, here are the Freedom Nodes, Unity and Harmony (simply swap out the logo file to change Nodes - see the ReadMe).

Lastly for now, the Columbus lab module (uses a lot of the same textures as the Nodes).

BTW, if you have any preferences on which models you'd like next, let me know and I'll bump them to the front of the queue.

I have looked at the first batch you poste and I must say this is quality stuff. Can't wait to check the new stuff out.

Before I do myself an injury in public, how closely would it be preferred for parts to match the examples supplied?

I'm looking at the LM-HRS radiators and the way they're set up in the example isn't really animatible (well, it's a word now), I'd need to make some changes to actually make the mechanics of it work so it could be stowed/unstowed.

I'm fine with changes. The "real" parts in the Eyes universe would certainly have had to deploy and such, so if the way they're currently set up won't work, then that's obviously something worth correcting. Can you describe what's up with them?

I'm also thinking about the truss--white that's workable in the real world, I'm wondering how best to get them to align properly. I know even with Navyfish's docking indicators, I'd find lining up two parts in rotation to be a hassle above and beyond basic alignment and velocity nulling. Is there some way to simplify that for play, or do we just require a bit more skill and care to fly that approach?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.