KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Update:

Returning to the craft I was testing in orbit I found several stock struts which had 'forgotten' where one of their end points should be, one end just stuck in free space, also 4 of the 8 KAS struts used on the craft had disconnected. Returning to my backup x32 copy all was as it should be. Note: this craft uses the big flat radiators from the Interstellar mod which I know from experience can sometimes misbehave and all the problem struts seen in the x64 install connected to one or more of these radiators.

The updated graphics driver certainly makes the scene changes feel more snappy but I think the x64 change helps a lot too.

Doesn't work for me.

With DirectX, it breaks as I enter the vab or just after adding one or two parts in the vab.(tried with and without active texture management and reducing mods.

With OpenGL, the framrate goes down significantly,the memory load is 30-40% lower but I'm missing shadows.

Btw, I always get the applicationcenterbackground for a (split)second when changing scenes.

Might be my video driver(ATI),but I can't afford to update it,because it will screw up my opengl viewport in my 3d design application and I have to set priorities.(I'm pretty much stuck with that driverversion for quite some time)

Okay, let's talk about one mod that eats RAM like hungry lion.

Planet Factory, of course.

First: On KSP64, it is INCOMPATIBLE with Environmental Visual Enhancements. This is pretty sad, but this is a fact. You can't use them both - KSP will crash.

Second: I'll just leave this pretty screenie here...

3Ha5l96.png

This is Planet Factory with Sido Urania and Cerrakk packs. Yes, BOTH PACKS. I removed PFCE example systems (never liked them - either silly or buggy)

Installed mods and memory usage:

RTf4JgO.png

Note ATM.

6 gigs. Of 12 total. And here is 4 free gigs, asking for some good part packs.

This isn't a fancy new hack.

THIS IS A FRICKIN' NEW ERA.

P.S. NathanKell and other RSS folks, if you're reading this: go learn PlanetFactory and work on a real solar system. You know, REAL solar system. With all of these 62 Saturn moons and other fancy things.

Part of me wonders how it took us so long to find this BUT that being said, it revolutionizes the way this game can be played. MOAR MODS!

But yeah, it worked for me with very few if any bugs (none that affected gameplay AFAIK). Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

It was working for me a couple minutes ago, all I did was replace the two files after backing up my vitals and run it. It was using ~2.7gb or memory (I'm not trying to push past 4gb yet). I was getting a couple of the visual artifacts at the KSC screen too but after a little while I forgot I had even done anything, played for a little over an hour mostly in the VAB... Then after making a somewhat large launch that seemed to run smoother than others of similar size / part count, I right clicked a decoupler and as soon as I clicked the blue button to activate it, the game crashed. Unity doesn't seem to have made a dump. Off to see if I can replicate it I guess. I do kind of need to use that decoupler, after all.

Edit: Yep, crashed the exact same way. Doesn't make any sense because I obviously used several decouplers on the way up, but not the same decoupler. It's the giant Kerbodyne decoupler and it crashes the game whether I stage it with spacebar or right click and activate. No idea what that means.

Edit 2: Couldn't replicate on another ship at the launchpad. More confused.

Edited by Duke23

P.S. NathanKell and other RSS folks, if you're reading this: go learn PlanetFactory and work on a real solar system. You know, REAL solar system. With all of these 62 Saturn moons and other fancy things.

Actually in the interest of sanity, I vote against this, unless you seriously want your Tracking Station to look like this:

1388324805-scr00002.jpg

And that's without anything having been launched yet.

It was working for me a couple minutes ago, all I did was replace the two files after backing up my vitals and run it. It was using ~2.7gb or memory (I'm not trying to push past 4gb yet). I was getting a couple of the visual artifacts at the KSC screen too but after a little while I forgot I had even done anything, played for a little over an hour mostly in the VAB... Then after making a somewhat large launch that seemed to run smoother than others of similar size / part count, I right clicked a decoupler and as soon as I clicked the blue button to activate it, the game crashed. Unity doesn't seem to have made a dump. Off to see if I can replicate it I guess. I do kind of need to use that decoupler, after all.

Edit: Yep, crashed the exact same way. Doesn't make any sense because I obviously used several decouplers on the way up, but not the same decoupler. It's the giant Kerbodyne decoupler and it crashes the game whether I stage it with spacebar or right click and activate. No idea what that means.

Edit 2: Couldn't replicate on another ship at the launchpad. More confused.

My first thought is that the Kerbodyne decoupler is physicsless. Or at least it was at one point, don't remember if they fixed it or if it was even considered a bug. But I wonder if 64 bit Unity has issues with physicsless parts?

This is amazing. SQUAD absolutely NEEDS to see this thread! Someone get in contact with Rowdowser or something. Maybe the developers can learn from this so that they can be able to replicate.

My first thought is that the Kerbodyne decoupler is physicsless. Or at least it was at one point, don't remember if they fixed it or if it was even considered a bug. But I wonder if 64 bit Unity has issues with physicsless parts?

Interesting... No idea myself. I put my 32bit files back in place and tried again, this time it separated and didn't crash but the game did stutter and then I still had control of the separated stage while focused on the main ship. After accidentally powering up the wrong engine the shroud bounced off my ship and the old tank and engine clipped right through. It's still registering as part of my ship -- as it floats away the view centers between them (center of mass). Staging with the spacebar after separation seems to have fixed it?

Edited by Duke23
derp

This is amazing. SQUAD absolutely NEEDS to see this thread! Someone get in contact with Rowdowser or something. Maybe the developers can learn from this so that they can be able to replicate.

I agree, though they probably already have and are talking about it. And yes, I agree, this is a breakthrough.

The only problem I've noticed so far is that KSP x64 crashes with the HD textures from B9 Aerospace. The reduced textures work fine, but not the HD textures. Don't know why. I have 16 GB of memory and KSP takes up about 6 to 7 GB. Maybe the possibility of an 8 GB limit with KSP x64? Unless someone has already broken this limit.

so will this be like KMP, where the devs thought it wouldnt work but once someone showed that it could then they will work quickly to implement it?

I think they knew it would work. My understanding of the x64 bit client not being release before was because of stability issues, which we are observing with this. It seems like the 64 bit Unity player still has some work to to go with compatibility with certain graphic cards and driver sets. Plus there are some graphical glitches that need to be sorted out before a supported release. The glitch with the Astronaut Complex is one such example (speaking of which, this seems like a video buffer bug with the x64 unity player, such as the program not flushing the buffer out like it should. This would explain some memory leak issues as well).

So um this mod will have better effects in a heavily-modded copy,right?

Cause I don't use many mods,just mods that display info.But I think I will give it a try anyway, cause it's quite an achievement.

It'll give some other performance improvements too. If you're running the 64 bit version it'll use the operating system's native word size and you'll get higher precision floating point numbers. At least you should, in theory.

"Could..... not preload global game manager #0 i=0"

I was about to mention I had this exact same bug. In my case it was that my Unity installation was actually 4.3.2, and it was solved by installing 4.3.3. OP was right to warn that we needed that exact version.

As far as performance and bugs go: No significant improvement in performance. A smallish one, but nothing stellar for me. I don't have a lot of mods though, so maybe there wasn't much improvement to be done. I did have one smallish bug so far - transitions between scenes or ships seem to be slowed by an extra half-second or so, during which I see an empty version of the Astronaut Complex screen (i.e. no Kerbals in the lists), or in the case of going EVA, I saw the "Bailed Out!" icon for a moment before the game switched me to the EVA Kerbal.

I was about to mention I had this exact same bug. In my case it was that my Unity installation was actually 4.3.2, and it was solved by installing 4.3.3. OP was right to warn that we needed that exact version.

I tried 4.3.4; 4.3.3; and 4.5. all gives me same error.

This is amazing. So far I've had no issues, performance seems better to me (load times), and I *think* it must be using better floating points because I'm not getting near the "jitter" in the conics system I used to get.

so will this be like KMP, where the devs thought it wouldnt work but once someone showed that it could then they will work quickly to implement it?

Nah, they've mentioned that Unity's 64-bit client is a lot more stable than it used to be but it's still not in a state that's ready for general release. The revelation this thread provided is that the 64-bit executable is freely available to try at your own risk.

might be a thing for 23.5... I'm trying it on .23.

Then you should upgrade to .23.5. I'm pretty sure .23 uses an older version of Unity than 4.3.3, and consequently the 64-bit executable that "matches" with .23 is an older and even more buggy version. Even with 32-bit KSP you'll get a performance increase by upgrading to .23.5

If this really works, then it makes me wonder why they have not released a 64bit client.

Surely it would be better than no 64bit client if the stability issues only affects some systems.

Then you should upgrade to .23.5. I'm pretty sure .23 uses an older version of Unity than 4.3.3, and consequently the 64-bit executable that "matches" with .23 is an older and even more buggy version. Even with 32-bit KSP you'll get a performance increase by upgrading to .23.5

yeah 4.3.3 works for 23.5. I'll probably just wait for .24