KSP 64bits on Windows (this time, it's not a request)

Lilleman

How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. How does the 64-bits version of KSP work for you?

• It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with DirectX
    • It worked with no or minor glitches/bugs with OpenGL
    • None, it crashed/caused major game breaking/is unplayable.

Would it be right to assume the later versions of the unity engine would have better 64 bit support and C7 hinted in one of scott manlys youtube videos 64bit looked promising they should do this for the .24 release both versions

Edited by Virtualgenius

maybe they could release both versions. just use the 32bit version as default, but include the x64 executables to use per choice

My vote, too. If they have an x64 exe, they should release it as optional download (it's pretty easy with Steam and its beta versions system).

I tried the openGL thing in KSP 32-bit. It runs with 1.5 gigs of RAM now without Texture Management (Normally it runs at around 3 gigs with ATM). Does anyone know why this is? Will it eventually build up memory usage and crash? I'll try to play a few hours with OpenGL 32-bit today and see what happens. It might be a good alternative to ATM.

squad should release it we all know its alpha, it should just come with a disclaimer use at your own risk we are only supporting 32bit but the upside is many of us would switch and they would have real data to work from

IMO Squad needs to finally come to the future of 64 bit. If you are still trying to run modern games on a 32 bit system, it's foolish. I imagine the reason to stay with 32 bit is a marketing decision, because if they switched to a faster, better system, they would lose a lot of the teen/preteen population playing on their dad's IBM notebooks from 2005 and earlier

IMO Squad needs to finally come to the future of 64 bit. If you are still trying to run modern games on a 32 bit system, it's foolish. I imagine the reason to stay with 32 bit is a marketing decision, because if they switched to a faster, better system, they would lose a lot of the teen/preteen population playing on their dad's IBM notebooks from 2005 and earlier

This is so obviously not the real reason that I am amazed that you have posted it. There would be absolutely no reason not to release both 32 bit and 64 bit versions if they were stable. The poll is currently showing a 22% total failure rate which is (or should be) totally unacceptable for any QA/support team to allow to be released (even as a beta). The only way that Squad could release the 64 bit version in this state would be as "not supported". I'm not saying they wouldn't be interested in reports from people that it doesn't work for but I suspect they would be completely overwhelmed by the extra support load it would generate.

It really doesn't make any sense for them to do a wide release of the 64 bit version before most of the serious 64 bit specific issues (which are inside Unity, not KSP) are fixed. There are plenty of other things for them to implement and plenty of quite serious bugs and shortcomings to be fixed in KSP to keep them busy for a whole release cycle (and 0.24 is bound to introduce more). They would need to shout very loudly that it is unsupported and is quite likely to not work at all to avoid harming the image of KSP in some people's eyes.

This is so obviously not the real reason that I am amazed that you have posted it. There would be absolutely no reason not to release both 32 bit and 64 bit versions if they were stable. The poll is currently showing a 22% total failure rate which is (or should be) totally unacceptable for any QA/support team to allow to be released (even as a beta). The only way that Squad could release the 64 bit version in this state would be as "not supported". I'm not saying they wouldn't be interested in reports from people that it doesn't work for but I suspect they would be completely overwhelmed by the extra support load it would generate.

It really doesn't make any sense for them to do a wide release of the 64 bit version before most of the serious 64 bit specific issues (which are inside Unity, not KSP) are fixed. There are plenty of other things for them to implement and plenty of quite serious bugs and shortcomings to be fixed in KSP to keep them busy for a whole release cycle (and 0.24 is bound to introduce more). They would need to shout very loudly that it is unsupported and is quite likely to not work at all to avoid harming the image of KSP in some people's eyes.

Sorry but these 22% gamebraking rrrors, are made from just <30 users, so it might look high but for real measure by far not enough testers.

Also this is more lika a hack than a real release from squad, that might change the numbers.

And yes Unity and 64bit is pretty broken. But as linux user you are not having the problem with RAM and mods, you can just play, and that is how many percent of the Players?

Very true - luckily OP released this fantastic hack/mod. :-)

Interesting post.

From the poll, it seems that there is about a 1 in 5 chance that it will fail to work... that explains pretty well why Squad calls 64 bit "unstable" under Windows. From a developer perspective, releasing something like that is unacceptable.

Sorry but these 22% gamebraking rrrors, are made from just <30 users, so it might look high but for real measure by far not enough testers.

If I was running a QA team handling an alpha/beta release to 30 users and 22% of them reported the program didn't work at all then I would not allow the release to go wider until this had been investigated and fixed. These issues are almost certainly in Unity and so they can't be fixed by Squad.

Also this is more lika a hack than a real release from squad, that might change the numbers.

Do you understand how Unity-based games work? I highly doubt that a real release from Squad would change the numbers.

And yes Unity and 64bit is pretty broken. But as linux user you are not having the problem with RAM and mods, you can just play, and that is how many percent of the Players?

No, Unity and 64bit (still) has various issues on Windows (which is what this thread is about). The Linux 64bit version works pretty well (once a few things have been patched) but I don't see how that has any relevance to this topic...

Or are you saying that I am arguing against it because I am a Linux user and so don't need the 64 bit Windows version? This isn't true, I run Win7 64 bit on my new machine (i7-4770K) and used to run Win7 32 bit on my old machine (CoreDuo T2600 laptop). Admittedly, I don't often run with anywhere near enough mods to get near the memory limit of the 32 bit version (even my full Realism Overhaul install for testing KER is well under the limit) but I would use a stable 64 bit version if one was available...

But as linux user you are not having the problem with RAM and mods, you can just play, and that is how many percent of the Players?

Nope the 64bit Version for Linux is also supporting only 4GB memory. I have also to use ATM in 64Bit Linux with some mod's to evade some problems.

But mabye i can copy the mono.dll file from unity to get over 4GB support. Will try this out when i have time.

Nope the 64bit Version for Linux is also supporting only 4GB memory. I have also to use ATM in 64Bit Linux with some mod's to evade some problems.

But mabye i can copy the mono.dll file from unity to get over 4GB support. Will try this out when i have time.

Oh didn't know that, sounded quite different at other points in the forum.

Would be really nice if you report back if this works out for you and linux as well.

One side comment, I have noticed that the UnityEngine.dll is slightly different between the 32 / 64 bit. They have the same length but on byte level they are different.

So I would suggest to replace that dll as well.

Unity\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\windows64standaloneplayer\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- This

Kerbal Space Program\KSP_Data\Managed\UnityEngine.dll <--- to here

Should this be added to the OP?

Well, had the nth crash when switching views quickly after being around a big ship, has been happening a lot lately. I've been messing with clouds and stuff. The error log said 4049Mb memory usage, so I guess I'm becoming another of your test subject momentarily. I will report and stuff, and thanks!

Edit: So far so good, it launches. I'm already seeing the weird graphics bug on the KSC screen (for a second there, it seemed it tried to load the Astronaut Complex). Now let's try and break it!

Rune. Awesome find even if it doesn't work.

Edited by Rune

I wouldn't give too much about the "high failure rate" here...because..."of user".

We already had stuff in this thread like:

- nah,too much work doing a fresh ksp install, just copy/paste over the existing copy i heavily modded...ups didn't work?

- nah, using an old KSP and a not advised Unity version...should work anyways right? ;)

- my KSP is messed up anyways, drivers...stuff...computers are hard...why doesn't this hack work right?

Not trying to be an ass here, and even above information is somewhat usefull in the right context, just coming from a support-background: this sort of tests need to be done in a controlled manner and with as few as possible user errors during the installation/setup process. THEN, and only then, the failure rate can be significant.

So..SQUAD: set up a testversion please, after all WE ARE participating in an Alpha/Beta here right? Even steam supports alternate versions, there is really no reason whatsoever not to test this, i think its significant enough, the only other improvement on this scale would be multi-core support.

I wouldn't give too much about the "high failure rate" here...because..."of user".

We already had stuff in this thread like:

- nah,too much work doing a fresh ksp install, just copy/paste over the existing copy i heavily modded...ups didn't work?

- nah, using an old KSP and a not advised Unity version...should work anyways right? ;)

- my KSP is messed up anyways, drivers...stuff...computers are hard...why doesn't this hack work right?

Not trying to be an ass here, and even above information is somewhat usefull in the right context, just coming from a support-background: this sort of tests need to be done in a controlled manner and with as few as possible user errors during the installation/setup process. THEN, and only then, the failure rate can be significant.

So..SQUAD: set up a testversion please, after all WE ARE participating in an Alpha/Beta here right? Even steam supports alternate versions, there is really no reason whatsoever not to test this, i think its significant enough, the only other improvement on this scale would be multi-core support.

Totally agree here. Anyone who experienced some problems should at least give some info about their PC and drivers. It won't surprise me if someone try to use it on 32-bit Windows.

Squad admitted that they have an internal 64-bit EXE, Rowsdower practically encouraged us to try this hack and share our experiences. They should release a test 64-bit version next time they update Unity version.

maybe they could release both versions. just use the 32bit version as default, but include the x64 executables to use per choice

Yes please.

Installed and ran first time for me, got the graphical glitches when loading spaceport, VAB, launching etc that the others have reported.

Cant say that I've noticed an improvement in performance (not that I was expecting it to), getting minor sound stuttering lag where it normally happens. Frame rates drop when I'm within 2km of my space station (normally does this). I haven't noticed the manoeuvre nodes 'jumping' since but will have to test it further.

System spec:

Cpu : i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz

Ram :32Gb DDR 3 1600Mhz

Gpu :GTX 690 4Gb DDR5

SSD :Crucial 512Gb

Nvidia Geforce 337.88 Driver

Screen : 1920 x 1080 full screen

All settings at max

Max Persistent Debris : unlimited

squad should release it we all know its alpha, it should just come with a disclaimer use at your own risk we are only supporting 32bit but the upside is many of us would switch and they would have real data to work from

Exactly. For many of us who use mods it will be more stable than 32bit even if it still has issues. So it makes no sense to to not release it with a disclaimer like you said.

About the earlier versions of KSP: I don't think this will work with those files.

As I said, if you don't use the correct version of the Unity player don't expect anything to work at all.

To check the version of Unity you'll need to download, right-click on your original KSP.exe file and check the version number.

Then download the adequate version on the Unity site.

No idea if this will work with 0.23, but you can give it a try.