The Official Kerbin Cup Tournament Thread - Final Entries Posted

Rowsdower

M30IVqU.jpg

As we speak, millions of people all over the earth have come together to celebrate national pride through sport, as the finest footballers from 32 countries represent them in the World Cup. We at Squad want you to not only take pride in being part of the KSP community, but also in your own slice of the community - your “nation,†if you will. With that, we proudly present the first ever Kerbin Cup tournament! This thread will only be used to discuss the tournament.

The Kerbin Cup tournament will consist of four teams of four people who will represent the best of what the following two community channels have to offer - Reddit and The Forum. Each team will collaborate on a mystery challenge that will be revealed each Monday. Team submissions must be handed in by that Friday. When they have, they will be posted here, sans team names, ready for a community vote that will take place over the course of the weekend. The team on each side that gathers the lowest number of votes will be eliminated from the competition.This will continue until there are just two teams left, all culminating in a grand finale that will be judged by members of Squad.

Now after all this, you might be wondering what you’re playing for. Well, much like week’s challenge, the grand prize itself will remain a mystery until the time is right. However, you will also get the added bonus of being able to exclusively use the image of the Golden Kerbal as the avatar or flair on your community channel of choice.

15aZ8ts.png

Here are several other official rules you must abide by:

1. No one outside of your team is eligible to contribute to your project without direct permission from me. Permission will only be granted in the event of certain circumstances, such as technical problems, acts of nature, etc. Those caught using contributions from non-team members without direct permission will be disqualified from competition.

2. Deadlines for entry are from the time each challenge is announced to Friday at 6PM, Central Daylight Time.

3. There is only one submission per team. Make it count.

4. You must not talk about your work or reveal your work to the community until we unveil it and make it open for votes.

5. Voting will close at the time a new challenge is posted and eliminations have been announced.

Challenge 1 Results

The Forum:

Team Jedi - Team 2

Crotchety Old Modders - Team 1

I Think We Broke It - Team 4

The A-Team - Team 3 (Eliminated)

Reddit:

Kerb-O-Nautix - Team 2

Shock Diamond - Team 4

Team clown_baby - Team 1

Team Snacks - Team 3 (Eliminated)

Challenge 2 Results

The Forum:

Crotchety Old Modders - Team 3

I Think We Broke It - Team 2

Team Jedi - Team 1

Reddit:

Kerb-O-Nautix - Team 4

Shock Diamond - Team 6

Team clown_baby - Team 5

Challenge 3 Results

The Forum:

Your Forum champion is Crotchety Old Modders!

I Think We Broke It

Team Jedi

Reddit

Shock Diamond and Team Clown_Baby have both bowed out of the competition.

Your Reddit champion is Kerb-O-Nautix!

Final Challenge

The final challenge is here! It's Crotchety Old Modders vs. Kerb-O-Nautix in a duel to the figurative death. More like a gentlemanly duel, actually, since the challenge is in their hands. Here's a brief explanation of what each team has to do. Both teams will have a week to complete their respective challenges, starting on July 24 at 9 AM CDT and ending on July 31 at 9AM CDT.

CROTCHETY OLD MODDERS

They must build a Mars colony that can survive for a year and produce an imgur album of at least ten photos of their mission. They must use actual and proposed NASA hardware from the 1970's from the Integrated Program Plan, along with the aid of realism mods. Excluded mods include those that decrease the level of realism and cheat physics. Hyperedit will definitely not be in play. Any other mods may be used within reason.

KERB-O-NAUTIX

They must travel through the universe, visiting as many places as they can, making sure that three Kerbals return safely back to Kerbin. All this, while making sure to produce an imgur album of at least ten photos from the mission. The team must use TAC Lifesupport, FAR, and only 100 tons of LV total. They must take three kerbals, a three-person command pod and a hitchiker. Not allowed? Crazy propulsion mods, no ions, no jets that aren't AJE and no mods that allow you to do things you cannot do in real life. They will not be able to use seats, either, with the exception of landers and rovers.

AhlQ2bB.jpg

It's kitschy, it's cool and it's 100% Kerbal. This is a render for an exclusive, Shapeways 3D print made just for the winners of the Kerbin Cup. It encapsulates the spirit of the contest and the company's Mexican futbol heritage, by presenting a Kerbal inspired by the breakthrough keeper for the Mexican National Team, Guillermo Ochoa.

Active Forum Team

Crotchety Old Modders:

ferram4

Majiir

NathanKell

r4m0n

Edited by Rainbowtrout
Spelling

This looks fun. I would not mind being on the forum side running a group. I got an idea why not like Europ, Asia Pacific in like regions maybe?

I will go home this afternoon and get the mod.

Edited by L3GO

What stops people from just using it anywhere they like? Genuine curiosity, here.

Honestly, not much in places outside of our control, but exclusivity will be enforced here on the forum and on Reddit. Plus, you know, the honor system, spirit of competition and all that. Just don't be a party pooper :D

Honestly, not much in places outside of our control, but exclusivity will be enforced here on the forum and on Reddit. Plus, you know, the honor system, spirit of competition and all that. Just don't be a party pooper :D

but...but it's so shiny..:(

Well, I'll put my building skills and my (mostly unproven) piloting skills, along with what 5 years of aeronautical engineering tried to teach me, in service of the forum defending its honor!

Rune. Who will ride forth with me in a blaze of glory and exploding boosters?

Can we have a over view of what sort of things we are doing at all maybe in a PM maybe?
I'm curious to the skill set needed for this if I'm honest.

From the original post:

I must stress that as the challenges are of a mysterious nature, you may want to balance your teams out to include members who are talented at several different skill sets that would normally get the attention of the KSP community. If you have four people who are only good at one thing, there’s a risk of little advancement through the competition.

Looks like that's the closest thing to a hint we'll be getting as to the nature of the challenges themselves :wink:

Wow, this challenge sounds like it will be fun! Seeing as only the most active and popular forum users will be ale to join the teams, is there anyone out there who wants to make another informal league of their own?

Wow, this challenge sounds like it will be fun! Seeing as only the most active and popular forum users will be ale to join the teams, is there anyone out there who wants to make another informal league of their own?

Don't make that assumption, Ival :) If you've got something to add or even some hidden skills you'd like to prove, you should totally throw your name in the hat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.