[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Has there been any progress on this within the last 1.5 months? I really want to play with it :(

Not really. I've been really busy with school, my game, and IRL issues at the moment. I'll try to attempt to get some more work on it during Christmas break. But until then it's on hold. :(

Not really. I've been really busy with school, my game, and IRL issues at the moment. I'll try to attempt to get some more work on it during Christmas break. But until then it's on hold. :(

Sounds cool. This pod looks so good already, it'd be a shame if it never got released. Good luck with school and IRL stuff.

• 1 month later...

Alright guys, I am back to development on this mod. I figured out a good way to multi-task with this mod/my game/real life/ and playing ksp. So I started some modeling and texturing more a bit tonight. I am working on revamping the model a bit. I will post some pics in a few days. I'm pretty happy to be working on this again and I look forward to seeing this spacecraft in game. :D

I also have plans to make some type of stock-a-like Falcon 9 launcher to go with it but the command pod will come first. :)

Alright guys, I am back to development on this mod. I figured out a good way to multi-task with this mod/my game/real life/ and playing ksp. So I started some modeling and texturing more a bit tonight. I am working on revamping the model a bit. I will post some pics in a few days. I'm pretty happy to be working on this again and I look forward to seeing this spacecraft in game. :D

I also have plans to make some type of stock-a-like Falcon 9 launcher to go with it but the command pod will come first. :)

This is great news! I'm glad you'll be able to resume work on this. :D

So here is what it looks like right now. I am currently doing a revamp on the textures. I am probably just going to use my own textures instead of using stock ones like SXT since I can't seem to get that to work.

The hardest part about this now is the body itself. Would you guys prefer just white with a little texture like the Dragon V2 or some detail to it like some of Beale's pods?

Also the heatshield and nosecone/docking port will be separate parts.

JI5D5xs.png

I like how it looks in the screenshots in the OP.More details wouldn't hurt, but aren't necessary either, IMO.

The stock-a-like ones or the old pictures? I had problems with using stock textures like SXT. I'll make these textures look like the original but better, and I'll add some more details but not go overboard with them. :)

Some more progress on the textures...

http://i.imgur.com/fZHqJMN.png

Eehhhh… Not thrilled with the grey hatch surround and the black and yellow stripes. :( For myself, I think the hatch should be white, and flush with the pod's surface, and there should NOT be any protruding handrails or ladders either. IMHO. If such things were extendable/retractable with an animation, now that would be acceptable. But the exterior of the pod should be fairly smooth and clean for streamlining, after all it is intended to be out in the open during launch, correct? As opposed to being covered by a shroud, I mean. :)

Anyway, my 2 cents. Later!

:D

Eehhhh… Not thrilled with the grey hatch surround and the black and yellow stripes. :( For myself, I think the hatch should be white, and flush with the pod's surface, and there should NOT be any protruding handrails or ladders either. IMHO. If such things were extendable/retractable with an animation, now that would be acceptable. But the exterior of the pod should be fairly smooth and clean for streamlining, after all it is intended to be out in the open during launch, correct? As opposed to being covered by a shroud, I mean. :)

Anyway, my 2 cents. Later!

Thanks for the feedback, I'll see what I can do. :)

So here is what it looks like without the black and yellow stripes. I don't know, I kind of prefer the stripes. :P Just to be clear, I have not started texturing the body so it is still pure white. I'm thinking of making a bit of a light grey. What do you guys prefer? White or light grey? I don't have pics to show what it would look like light grey yet though.

xYnSEif.png

Am I the only one that doesn't like the stock nose cone that has the blue tip? I wish they would've made it another color and I can see that you made it look like that on this capsule. Maybe change that to be a black tip instead of the blue? Just a personal preference but I think it might make it look a little better.

So here is what it looks like without the black and yellow stripes. I don't know, I kind of prefer the stripes. :P Just to be clear, I have not started texturing the body so it is still pure white. I'm thinking of making a bit of a light grey. What do you guys prefer? White or light grey? I don't have pics to show what it would look like light grey yet though.

http://i.imgur.com/xYnSEif.png

Ah, I had understood that the white WAS the final color, I didn't know that it was still not decided yet. :) But, I do like it without the bumblebee stripes much better. And I feel like there should perhaps be a bit more of a space between the edge of the hatch door and the edge of the window, but I figure the picture is just a 'let's see what it looks like without the stripes' test run, so maybe I don't need to worry about that. Anyway...

First, on the color, I'm of two minds. White would be truer to the real vessel that's inspiring this one, SpaceX's Dragon 2 capsule, so if that matters to you, there you go. But since I know this isn't supposed to be a 100% replica of that ship, it might be interesting to see what else you could do to set this one a bit apart. :)

There are several mods in progress or recently released that feature white capsules with black accents. Some are faithful copies of real-life craft, either past, present, or future, i.e. The various Orion/SLS projects. Others are more unique, but still have kind of the same overall look: White with black trim. So maybe you could do something more like a light gray primary color, but with dark gray trim and accents, instead of black. Might look cool. Of course, things that need to be a certain color on the outside of the ship shouldn't adhere to this rule, obviously. If the heatshield needs to be black, make it black; handrails and such should be a high visibility color, etc.

Finally, if you're looking for texture inspiration or guidance, I suggest taking a look at the OPT Spaceplane mod, K. Yeon is doing fantastic work with creating 'stockalike' textures that still incorporate his own unique style at the same time. Also, the KerbonTech capsule is a pretty good-looking Apollo-esque style unit, I use it almost exclusively when I want to use a conical pod for my command part. I don't think you'd go too far wrong if you gave your ship a similar look. :)

Anyway, those are a few ideas for you to chew on, Tygoo. Again, my opinions, fwiw. Later!

Oh, and P.S. I too am not so thrilled with the blue-tipped nosecone, it just looks weird somehow. I know that what's shown isn't the stock item, you're making a retractable part that imitates it. But until and unless another idea surfaces, I think that the tip should be black as well. Or no 'dot' at all, just leave it all the same color as the hull. I believe that the SpaceX nosecones are plain white, with the company's logo perhaps, and they look okay, so...

:)

Edited by Neutrinovore

I personally prefer it with the black and yellow stripes. I think it gives the design a bit more life. I also prefer the blue spot on the nosecone, though I wouldn't be too bothered if it was black instead.

• 2 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/xYnSEif.png

Maybe the hatch from (or in the style of) the Mk1-2 pod would be good?

Sadly you can't directly use the one on the Mk1-2 texture because it's distorted, but it looks good on a flat surface IMO.

I very happy to see this progressing more :)

1d41a5401f.jpg

Or the texture from the new Spaceplane parts which are quite sleek and Dragon-ish:

96f7e6cd94.jpg

Ooo I never noticed that hatch! Thanks for pointing that out Beale!

Also quick progress update: I got some free time today and tomorrow to work on this. I'm currently editing the model and re-mapping the UV maps. I'll probably have some texture progress to show tomorrow.

For the record, I would be GREATLY in favor of the spaceplane texture option, myself. It's nice and clean, I think it would go quite well with this capsule. :)

Great to see things progressing here! Looking forward to using this pod. ;)

Later! :D

Yes, it does look like it will go great with the capsule! I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Is there any possibility for compatibility with Deadly Reentry for the heat shield, and Ferram Aerospace Research with the cowling on top to shield the docking port?

I plan on adding Deadly Reentry since I have that installed in my career mode but I'm not sure about FAR...I'll have to look into that.