Radial-Mount Parachute

CaptainSlug

Mostly working and looking as intended now.

v1.5 fixes some symmetry mode attachment issues and disables collisions.

v1.4 added custom mesh and refined CFG

v1.0 Just to see if I can get it working

preview.jpg

http://www.captainslug.com/temp/RadialParachute1.5.zip

Remaining Issues/Quirks

+ Only seems to be capable of being activated manually from Stage 0. Under the current build it's not possible to manually open it when it's assigned to a different stage.

+ Currently setup to not create its own stages when added since these are intended for use with decouplers. Placement in stage list not important because of above issue.

+ Rockets with perfectly vertical trajectories will have detached stages capable of reaching zero velocity, (which is the current trigger for removal of the 'canopy' from the 'base') causing decoupled stages to simply plummet without chutes.

We don't need preview pictures,...

That's actually one of the tips suggested in the sticky on this forum.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=485.0

Pictures are always a good idea for anything that has a visual component. It helps to see what your looking at when deciding if you want to download it.

Cheers!

Skunky

Did you download the package? There's a preview package within the folder. That's what I'm talking about.

Ah gotcha. Still, if he wants to include those items, that's up to him. Your free to ignore his mods as well.

In the immortal words of Sgt. Hulka, 'Lighten up, Francis.'

;P

Updated with a custom mesh more suited to surface attachment.

Because of how the parachute is handled by the game it doesn't seem like you can currently assign and trigger them from any stage except stage 0.

Seems to be working really well at safely landing decoupled stages provided you add enough chutes to handle the weight of them.

2 of these is enough to land small stages, 3 for intermediate stages, and so on. Any stages with fuel left in them will explode 80% of the time no matter what.

v1.5 added. Mostly Fixes assembly issues.

Would it be possible to mess around with the parachute model so that three of them arranged around the rocket don't overlap when deployed (as in the picture in the first post)?

That's not something I can address in the add-on since the parachute behavior is determied elsewhere

Have you taken a look at the triple parachute? It may give you some ideas.

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/index.php?topic=286.0

That's just three duplicate meshes in one group to replace the individual mesh. It behaves as one individual chute.

If being able to safely descend stages with a single radial module is preffered you can set the closed drag value to zero, allowing you to attach them assymetrically. Then increase the deployed drag to you desired level.

I was thinking of that, actually; wouldn't it be possible to take the mesh of a single parachute and skew it off-center?

That might be one way to resolve it visually for 90% of all possible situations.

I'm having some issues with getting the mesh of the parachute edited with my current software, but I will try it sometime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, if only there were some way you could make a Gemini-style 'part hangs sideways' version. Once the more modern lift model is available, it'd let us modify it into a parafoil and conduct the sort of horizontal runway landing that was originally pictured for Gemini! ;D

Good job on these.

As you can see I got all four of my SRBs to land without exploding. I did have a liquid engine on there, but I didn't have enough parachutes to slow it down to the point where it wouldn't explode.

screenshot0sl.png

• 8 years later...
52 minutes ago, The Tenth Avenger said:

Pretty cool mod. Would be cool if u could updated it to newer versions.

The author of this mod last visited the forums in 2011, so it’s unlikely he’ll come back to the forums to revive this mod anytime soon. Besides, it’s basically unnecessary now because several radial parachutes have been added to the stock game since it was made.