The official unoffical "help a fellow plugin developer" thread

How does one create an input lock so that I can have the player left-click somewhere on the vessel in the editor but not have the part get picked up off the vessel? I've got it working when CTRL is held down (similarly to UbioZur Welding), but not without a modifier key. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow modders

I have been looking at a bit of code, and this is popping out at me: 

double Ec = GetResourceAmount("ElectricCharge");
double req = part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", Ec);

When the variable req is used, would it automatically request all the electric charge on the vessel?

Edited by Benjamin Kerman
Please quote me so that I know you answered. Thanks!

No. Once you assign to a variable, it just has that value. If you want that behavior, define a method as such:

static double Req()
	{
	 return part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", GetResourceAmount("ElectricCharge"));
	}

Edited by 0111narwhalz

1 hour ago, 0111narwhalz said:

No. Once you assign to a variable, it just has that value. If you want that behavior, define a method as such:

static double Req()
	{
	 return part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", GetResourceAmount("ElectricCharge"));
	}

So the original bit of code I have, from https://github.com/Darknesshas1/DK-BHTanks/blob/master/src/DK-BHTanks/GameData/BlackHoleTanks/Plugins/BHStorageCfg.cs should work to draw a set amount of charge, as intended?

@Benjamin Kerman

Just do the following in the class:

static double Req()
{
 return Part.RequestResource("ElectricCharge", GetResourceAmount("ElectricCharge"));
}

Then you call Req() to grab all the ElectricCharge. It also returns whatever Part.RequestResource() returns.

If you want to get fancy, try:

static double Req(string res)
{
 return Part.RequestResource(res, GetResourceAmount(res));
}

This will request whatever resource you name in res.

@Benjamin Kerman

Line 39: Add the static tag to BHECCost. You're trying to access a property of an object without an object. For the same reason, Req() has the tag. The only reason Start() (and the other Unity-related methods) doesn't have it is because Unity has this object (it's the GameObject, here a part).

Edited by 0111narwhalz

One last thing, new dev here :wink: 

I successfully compiled the plugin with no errors (Yay!), but am not sure how to add it to the parts. Do I create a module in the cfg file called "ModuleBlackHole", or is there some other way? 

Thank you for all your help!

Hello everyone :sticktongue:. I am making my first KSP mod, which simply displays a gui, with a label telling you how much science is stored on a vessel. However, I am stuck on trying to find out how much science is stored in each ModuleScienceContainer or ModuleScienceExperiment. Does someone know how this can be achieved, or is it impossible? Here is my code:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using UnityEngine;
using KspScienceCount.Extensions;
using KSP;

namespace KspScienceCount
{
	public class ScienceCount : PartModule
	{
		private Rect _windowPosition = new Rect();
		private GUIStyle _windowStyle, _labelStyle;
		private bool _hasInitStyles = false;

public void OnGUI()
		{
			if (!_hasInitStyles) InitStyles();
			if (Event.current.type != EventType.Repaint || Event.current.isMouse)
			{
				if (this.vessel == FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel && this.part.IsPrimary(this.vessel.parts, this.ClassID))
					_windowPosition = GUILayout.Window(10, _windowPosition, OnWindow, "This is a title",_windowStyle);
			}

}

private void OnWindow(int windowId)
		{
			GUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
			GUILayout.Label("Science on this vessel: " + CountScience(), _labelStyle);
			GUI.DragWindow();
			GUILayout.EndHorizontal();
		}

private void InitStyles()
		{
			_windowStyle = new GUIStyle(HighLogic.Skin.window);
			_windowStyle.fixedWidth = 150f;

_labelStyle = new GUIStyle(HighLogic.Skin.label);
			_labelStyle.stretchWidth = true;

_hasInitStyles = true;
		}

private float CountScience()
		{
			float count = 0;
			foreach (Part rocketPart in this.vessel.parts)
			{
				foreach (PartModule module in rocketPart.Modules)
				{
					if (module.GetComponent<ModuleScienceExperiment>() != null)
					{
						for (int i = 0; i == module.GetComponent<ModuleScienceContainer>().GetData().Length - 1; i++)
						{
							//count += module.GetComponent<ModuleScienceExperiment>().GetData()[i]. <-- this bit here
						}
					}

}
			}

return count;
		}
	}
}

Many thanks in advance,

TheUltimateKerbonaut :cool:

@TheUltimateKerbonaut Try this:

double ScienceValue(string subject_id, float size)
{
  ScienceSubject subject = ResearchAndDevelopment.GetSubjectByID(subject_id);
  if (subject == null) return 0.0f;
  return ResearchAndDevelopment.GetScienceValue(size, subject)
       * HighLogic.CurrentGame.Parameters.Career.ScienceGainMultiplier;
} 

float CountScience(Vessel v)
{
  float credits = 0.0f;
  foreach(IScienceDataContainer c in v.FindPartModulesImplementing<IScienceDataContainer>())   
  {
    foreach(ScienceData sd in c.GetData())
    {
      credits += ScienceValue(sd.subjectID, sd.dataAmount);
    }
  }
  return credits;
}

I have a KSPField that I'm trying to only have show up in flight, however it seems to also be showing up in the editor, even after setting guiActiveEditor to false.  Does guiActive override this?

[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiName = "Current EMR", guiActive = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiUnits = ":1"),
  UI_FloatEdit(incrementSmall = 0.1f, incrementLarge = 1.0f, incrementSlide = 0.01f, sigFigs = 2, unit = ":1")]
public float currentEMR;

15 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

I have a KSPField that I'm trying to only have show up in flight, however it seems to also be showing up in the editor, even after setting guiActiveEditor to false.  Does guiActive override this?

[KSPField(isPersistant = true, guiName = "Current EMR", guiActive = true, guiActiveEditor = false, guiUnits = ":1"),
  UI_FloatEdit(incrementSmall = 0.1f, incrementLarge = 1.0f, incrementSlide = 0.01f, sigFigs = 2, unit = ":1")]
public float currentEMR;

You might have to set the scene on the UI_FloatEdit to UI_Scene.Flight

Hi, what exactly is "World Space" and how does it relate to the position vectors in KSP?

Specifically, to FlightGlobals.currentMainBody.position and FlightGlobals.ActiveVessel.transform.position ?

I'm trying to draw some lines using Vectrosity from a set of coordinates. That worked using the Unity.LineRenderer, but when I try to use  the very same coordinates for rendering of Vectrosity.VectorLine, the lines go out straight out of the screen and behave weirdly when rotating the camera.

ps.: Is there some sort of "reference frame guide" for KSP? I keep getting confused by World/Body-Relative/Krakensbane/Surface-Relative and all kinds of coordinate systems.