If you could only install 3 KSP mods... which 3 would it be?

Frank_G

Whenever i can, i test mods. But i keep my installation as clean and as vanilla as possible and throw out installed mods every time KSP adds new stock content and features.

But if you were limited to only 3 mods... which 3 would it be? And which one would you really miss?

Here are mine:

1. Raster Prop Monitors:

- For nice IVA flights and on-board cameras. I really love the functionality and the depth it adds without destroying the vanilla ksp experience.

2. ScanSAT:

- The possibility to give real function to satellites and evaluate terrain, pick landing spots and identify anomalies is really fun and adds in a subtile but useful way to the gameplay. And it works hand in hand with Raster Prop Monitors, so you can view the scan-data in IVA when you have a link to your satellites.

3. Procedural Fairings:

- Procedural Fairings are probably the most versatile procedural parts available. You can not only build different types of fairings but also improvise hull parts, aero-shells and heat-shields. Those few parts allow for wide variety of cool and creative ways to improve your ship designs. I use procedural fairings on every rocket launch and most vessels carry heat-shields, station modules and so on.

And one Mod i would terribly miss, but the above are definitely the 3 of choice:

Kerbal Attachement System - EVA with a purpose. Thanks for this great mod! As long as i can install more than 3 mods... this one is in the installation :)

My "Quality of life" mods vary from time to time but the three I'd keep would probably be the last three I think about when thinking of mods I have installed.

Chatterer - Once you get used to having the beeps and the chats its hard to play the game without it.

Final Frontier - I love using this to pick specialized roles for my team based largely off what I've had them do in the past.

Enviornmental and Visual Effects Kerbin should have clouds, it just doesn't look right without them.

(and if a 4th was aloud) Texture replace (but only the part that lets me have randomized kerbal faces/suits).

-------------------------

The 3 mods I'd miss the most after doing this would be

Scan Sat- Same reasons as the OP

Kerbal Attachment System - Making EVA much more fun

and Kerbal Alarm Clock - for those busy schedules.

I could probably manage just fine and still enjoy the game without Mechjeb now, but I like having the option to use it. Raster Prop I'm only now learning to love and so many more.

These make the game much more in depth to me, especially in creating personalities.

1-TextureReplacer for kerbal heads and suits

2-Final Frontier for choosing jobs and awards

3-B9 Aerospace for their great overhauled parts

Kerbal Engineer for info readings

Better than starting Manned (including its (imo) mandatory DRE addition :sticktongue: ) for an expanded and more meaningful career

Custom Biomes so that I can truly explore every celestial body

Edited by TrooperCooper

I was thinking RSS, FAR, and Engineer, but without pFairings FAR is more of a pain for me and without Real Fuels I'm going to be editing my engines anyway. So I suppose I'd go with:

Engineer

HGR beta (Soyuz, seriously)

EVE

Docking Port Alignment Indicator obviously. These days I usually dock from the map view after targeting the correct docking port.

The rest are harder. I don't really need the information displays that much anymore. They're helpful for building rockets, flying planes, and landing in the dark, but I can live without them.

I've just started playing with FAR and Deadly Reentry, so they could be my choices right now.

MechJeb (does everything that KER can do, just not as nicely)

ScanSat

Procedural Fairings (because they look so cool coming off)

EDIT: I just realized how much I use TAC Fuel Balancer. I'd take that over Procedural Fairings any day.

Edited by FleshJeb

That's rough. These are not necessarily my 3 favorites (though they're up there obviously) but the 3 that I think offer the most functionality.

Kerbal Alarm Clock

Kerbal Engineer Redux

PreciseNode

And a new runner up is NavHud. It easily replaces all navball mods I have installed and almost renders the navball obsolete. But I don't like it quite enough to drop one of the big 3 there.

FAR

KW Rocketry

MechJeb

But to be honest, if I could only install 3 mods maximum, I wouldn't install any - I love KER, NavHud, RPM, KAS, Editor Extension, DOE, SP+, SelectRoot, KAC, Toolbar, TweakScale and everything far too much and would feel really bad if I was playing a modded install without them. Either completely stock or with a boatload of mods. I don't do half-measures or limited things :P

FAR, kOS and Infernal Robotics. They embody a pioneering spirit and are together rich toolkit that enabled you to do pretty much anything, along with a drag model that makes sense. kOS is so incredibly versatile that it could be a game on its own - I once developed a single script for a couple of months without leaving Kerbin's atmosphere - and Infernal Robotics gives you the tools to create all sorts of contraptions that KPS lacks naturally.

If I could choose a fourth it would be Deadly Re-entry, I consider it vital for immersion.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.