1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

I did say they were from a madman! :D

Ok, so I wanted to try and come up with some smaller designs/foldable ones. That was the result of a couple of hours at work, along with the following paper prototypes (yes, the piston even works, it's not just a piece of paper underneath another and yes, those are staples for hinges They don't call me a perfectionist for nothing...):

http://imgur.com/a/TUbKG

Both fold away to reduce width and both use said folding mechanism as suspension (I don't know if this was a good idea or not). Thoughts? I'll get to testing now :)

You truly are completely mad. Paper?!

Nothing wrong with going old-school..

Armadillo wheels.... Actually, they would be cool!

A little teaser of something in the SkunkWorks:

LQxnKTq.png

Hell of a lot to do before these will be released, but actually they're not at all hard to set up (that's about an hour and a half's work, start to finish). Thankfully, I can draw on the existing track project for track movement code (it just winds the texture around the track model) and I've got a few ideas for other bits to improve the way they behave. These are just a simple proof-of-concept.

Ooh, I see you made some headway with RBI! They look nice, I'd love for more tracks and stuff :)

EDIT: If you're going to be restarting KSP a lot to test these, have you heard of sirkut's DevHelper? Give you the "ability to not just load a saved game but also go straight to either the VAB or SPH!"

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

These were just a 'can I set it up', simple as I could make sort of thing. You will see some more tracks coming out at some point.

No, that sounds like an AMAZING tool. Thank you, will speed things up no-end. One of the guys in the live stream last night didn't know about the part reload in ALT-F12 > database, so that's worth mentioning while we're on the subject. Doesn't help with a plugin though, so DevHelper will be great!

That looks more realistic than anything else I've seen, well done :) Can you show us it moving over that incline please?

Cheers! I think where people fall down is they don't get the vertex weighting just right... YouTube uploading.

No custom code running here - it's just skinning, then the usual rig in Unity with multiple wheels. Really effective, I thought!

Edited by lo-fi

Will be a while before I can get anything decent out. I did just buy a Wacom graphics tablet, though! Should help speed things up :D

Textures for large wheels and repulsors are now up. Fellow forum user Justin Kerbice has been working away quietly in the background - all credit goes to him for unwraps and texturing voodoo. I'm useless with that stuff!!

Comments would be appreciated, as would some screen shots!

Much enjoyed watching a rerun of your twitching, confirmed a lot of guestimates:), also glad I'm not the only one who mods the wrong cfgs and reloads . much rofling was had cheers.

Must confirm a comment made in twitch stream regarding success of the new style steering hierarchy, For those of us who are more interested in how something works than what color it is, the hierarchy turns the suspension into a very acceptable simulation of the real thing, and so worth the effort and now somebody else understands how it works you wont be stuck for a hand if you get stuck.

Will be a while before I can get anything decent out. I did just buy a Wacom graphics tablet, though! Should help speed things up :D

Textures for large wheels and repulsors are now up. Fellow forum user Justin Kerbice has been working away quietly in the background - all credit goes to him for unwraps and texturing voodoo. I'm useless with that stuff!!

Comments would be appreciated, as would some screen shots!

:cool: thanks, and people, don't forget these textures are still WIP, so don't be disappointed by how they look right now.

(and lo-fi, could you please sto padding new stuff almost every day :D you're too amazing but too fast too !)

EDIT: I guess now you've got people attention, you'll find someone who'll be willing to work on tracks textures :).

Edited by Justin Kerbice

As ever, thanks for the rep/comments, help and encouragement!

Yep, tracks :D I think I've got this one...

And sorry Justin, I'll try and slow down ;) Just can't help myself once In get an idea!

Sorting an alpha for release over the weekend - I see now reason why not. Still a few bugs with docking, but this probably won't affect many at this stage.

I managed to make the huge powerful wheel look reasonable sized and a bit underpowered, it only just fitted in the SPH though, and I had to empty some fuel out to stop the IR joints collapsing. Goes anywhere except backwards in quite a realistic manor, oh and it's not a screenshot but the next best thing. If I have to be honest I'm not sure about the repulsor, it's moved away from the clean sci-fi look the medium wheel has that I really quite liked but it's just my personal opinion. It's shaping up to be a great set of parts, keep it up :)

Great work as usual :)

I made something similar myself using IR parts, but it pre-dates my wheels. I'll update and post, will be fun to actually play some ksp again!

Thanks for the feedback on look too. I'm absolutely useless with colour/style, so we are still finding our way a bit with that.

I just about managed to throw the tread pattern on the medium wheels and the initial texture on the large ones, but my artistic flair runs out after that :/

I can churn out models, but I can't texture for toffee. Hoping the Wacom tablet helps with that, it's hard to do anything natural looking with a mouse!

Still, the seriously time consuming job of sorting out the unwraps and texture placement is now done on lots of the parts.

I managed to make the huge powerful wheel look reasonable sized and a bit underpowered, it only just fitted in the SPH though, and I had to empty some fuel out to stop the IR joints collapsing. Goes anywhere except backwards in quite a realistic manor, oh and it's not a screenshot but the next best thing. If I have to be honest I'm not sure about the repulsor, it's moved away from the clean sci-fi look the medium wheel has that I really quite liked but it's just my personal opinion. It's shaping up to be a great set of parts, keep it up :)

That is seriously awesome. I really suck at building just about everything, including anything similar to that. I tend to make everything too big.

One of my creations:

Yes, you can chain as many trailers as you like behind it - it's all modular! I've had up to five; behaves surprisingly well. Coupling is a challenge!

Haha. Cheeky ;)

Seriously, would love to add some tyre tracks, dust effects, sounds. Lots of heavy coding, though. Been studying the Firespitter code, there's some nice stuff in there.

Just looked Spintyres up. Very cool, I might have a go :)