1,282 members have voted

1. 1. What to work on next?

• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

Was just thinking to myself the other day wonder if anyone has made anything like the repulsor drives from the Marvel universe search today and lo and behold what you know

off to test these now

Here is a secret....if you goto his github, go up one level, there is a "download as zip" button on the right.

If you install that into its own folder in GameData.....you may find some new toys in the utilities tab when you restart KSP...but don't tell anyone I told you....

and do remember, he has not officially released this, so if you nuke your install, blame yourself. Back up your files, then back up your files.

Worked great for me though ;)

Shhhhh, was supposed to be a little test: If you figured it out for yourself, you're probably up to testing buggy pre-release parts ;)

Hi ah no abs I'm sure I can live without it.. Just wondering on what figure you're using on your dinky wheel for sideways friction stiffness factor?

Now it's out in the wild I'm busily converting the batch of wheels that I made previously, good news is thats its fairly easy to convert from dodgy traditional steering to SmoothSteering(should be a TM after that buddy) and brings more than satisfactory results.

Hi ah no abs I'm sure I can live without it.. Just wondering on what figure you're using on your dinky wheel for sideways friction stiffness factor?

Now it's out in the wild I'm busily converting the batch of wheels that I made previously, good news is thats its fairly easy to convert from dodgy traditional steering to SmoothSteering(should be a TM after that buddy) and brings more than satisfactory results.

Great news! Will treat SmoothSteering as stable now, may merge in the proportional and anti-roll code once it's tested and ready.

For the moment I'll create a dev module so you can just swap the module call in the config on parts for testing.

Think it's 65/35, 0.75

SmoothSteerâ„¢ by lo-fi? :P

Hehe. Kinda like that :)

ok played around with this now had a few crashes but I think that was due to some high part counts on my end but have some thoughts:

during the hover section would it be possible to have the height adjustable via CTRL & SHIFT while in the docking control scheme?

also would like it if you could increase the max height I keep running into hills

larger pods would also be good for those of us trying to make crazy contraptions

ok played around with this now had a few crashes but I think that was due to some high part counts on my end but have some thoughts:

during the hover section would it be possible to have the height adjustable via CTRL & SHIFT while in the docking control scheme?

also would like it if you could increase the max height I keep running into hills

larger pods would also be good for those of us trying to make crazy contraptions

Yeah, I like that. Will look into it. Bigger yes, have some cool ideas, including more funky deployment animation for straight repulsors. :)

Can I see your output_log if you get another crash? Would be really helpful.

WOW.... get them things textured man! and you deserve rep.....+rep (finally some real wheels to work with)

Textures in production, have another forum user I've teamed up with who's doing some cracking work. Just takes time! Playing with specular/bump/emissives to really lift it all too, as I want these looking really nice for full release.

Can't do most of the visual effects I want without unity pro sadly though :/

For the moment, I've created a nice karbon fibre specular tex to bung on in place of plain matt white. Kerbals wouldn't bother painting prototypes, right ;) will update with pics when I get a moment to breathe!

I hope you don't mind me including myself in testing :) Is it possible to offer higher ride height in the repulsor tweakable? If you scale it it gets quite close to the ground. Great fun to play with, I had to make a pod racer.

Wow, lots of suggestions... Bigger is in production, don't worry ;) I have some really slick ideas but taking the weekend off to recharge a bit.

Love the pod racer, that's way cool!

Is there a pre-alpha? can we have it? :D

Sort of, though I've taken down the link for the moment. Found a few major bugs, will be updating Monday and will send live again for anyone serious about testing.

You'll need to be able and happy to run a clean install, sending output_log and screen shots and I'll allocate specific things I'd like looked at. Otherwise it'll turn into a massive free-for-all and I'll never get anything done ;) doesn't mean you can't have fun in the process, though...

By the way, those asking for more ride height: not going to happen with the current setup I'm afraid, leads to major stability problems.

The bigger version will help somewhat, so stay tuned early next week for that.

I have some ideas, but it's going to take me a few weeks to thrash out the code: essentially I'll be writing my own custom collider. The current dynamics are fun, but can be so much better! Started out as a silly 'what if' but seems this deserves some serious attention. Watch this space and thanks for all the positive comments.

And Justin (who's doing the textures) informs me he _may_ have something sorted for some of the models over the weekend. Though as neither of us could actually decide what an anti-grav drive would actually look like, there are three versions ;) Have a good one!

^ Is the stability relative to part size? At the moment scaling a part scales the ride height, can a separate smaller part have the ride height of the bigger part and be stable?

^ Is the stability relative to part size? At the moment scaling a part scales the ride height, can a separate smaller part have the ride height of the bigger part and be stable?

In short, yes.

Scaling a part _does not_ equal simply changing the ride height, it affects a lot of other things too.

[...] neither of us could actually decide what an anti-grav drive would actually look like [...]

Anti grav devices look like this (duh):

RTEmagicC_hoverboard_mcfly.jpg.jpg

Also, they work over water! (if you can propel yourself without solid ground at least :P)

So after some extensive testing (messing around with settings) I have found that lower damper levels work best for hover-craft along with a higher strength and slightly higher ride height. On my current test craft I have height set to 1 damper .1 and strength 2. If any one has better settings, please share them. I am going to take it to the Mün next, then Minmus to try it out on the flats :P.

So after some extensive testing (messing around with settings) I have found that lower damper levels work best for hover-craft along with a higher strength and slightly higher ride height. On my current test craft I have height set to 1 damper .1 and strength 2. If any one has better settings, please share them. I am going to take it to the Mün next, then Minmus to try it out on the flats :P.

Great, thank you for reporting back :)

I've found the same myself with the settings, need to update the ranges in the UI and the default values. I have a few ideas to improve stability at higher right heights too, will issue new models after I've tested.

Massive updates to code for just about everything wheel (non-repulsor) related. I wasn't happy at all with the anti-roll method so I've re-hashed that. I can't do it exactly how I want at the moment due to some KSP weirdness, but I've got something passable working for the moment - hopefully I'll find a way to fix exactly the way I want at some point. Note well for anybody playing around with any of the wheels: Updates will break saves and .craft!!!!! You have been warned

Do post some videos, dude!! :cool:

Ok, I have done testing on the Mün and some on Minmus, and compared to stock wheels, these are so much better for high speed driving :D. I don't have a YT account nor vid capture software, but I can post pics.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

On the Mun it was going study at about 90/ms though that was jumping craters rather than going down and coming up. On Minmus it was tougher because of the steep inclines of the hills. Edit: could you post a screenshot of the Unity Hierarchy? I was going to make a hover skid.

Edited by Robotengineer

Looks sweet! Great seeing Jeb sat up top there. I have some beefed up RCS for propulsion, never tried a rocked engine! Minmus is a sod with all those steep hills...

MSI Afterburner is what I use for vids. Free and easy to use, uploads to YT a treat if you can be bothered to set up an account.

Hey again been doing some more "testing" and i don't think the crashes are related to your plugin I think it might just be my KSP (lots of other mods installed) but thought I'd share one of my builds

Edited by Wacoede

Repulsors updated. WARNING: WILL BREAK SAVES/CRAFT.

Found a way to abuse the physics objects a bit more, so have a bit more ride height. As per feedback, ranges tweaked for damping and defaults updated.