• More wheels
    • More tracks
    • Rover bodies
    • Landing gear
    • Landing legs
    • Something completely different

i get no steering at all from the large wheels

Not cool, dude.

Please remember, this is all pre-alpha. If you want help, you'll need to be a bit more helpful than that ;) output_log at _very_ least please. Even better, identify the line with the null-ref or whatever you think is causing the issue (if you can find it) and post that. Most issues have been caused by other mods so far - it's useful to know which ones and why.

Thanks!

Ok, its not much of a problem. BTW testing with the latest build I have been able to go at about 150/ms with repulsors and a jet engine using this craft.

TAo8Rmk.png

That is on the hills west of the KSC and I was able to go about 25km before crashing :)

I would like to test these absolutely love to test these beautiful parts. I've been planning a mun base and none of my stock rover designs are working like I want them too. These wheels would work perfectly with my requirements.

I would like to test these absolutely love to test these beautiful parts. I've been planning a mun base and none of my stock rover designs are working like I want them too. These wheels would work perfectly with my requirements.
Cool, can`t wait to see the downloadlink finally, I wait since long for good weels the stockweels are so crappy.

Got a few people testing at the moment thanks - too many and it'll get a bit hard for me to follow. There's one feature I'm not happy with at all and another that's looking promising, but almost everything else is looking good.

Alpha release for wheels (hopefully) and (maybe) repulsors in the next few days, minus the features I'm not happy with.

Will be un/temporarily textured, and I won't guarantee future updates won't break saves.

Those of you testing: I'll be in touch with a few things that could really do with checking out on the shaky features. There are a _lot_. Covering every eventuality in KSP is insanely hard, so thanks for your efforts so far.

Beyond that, I have in the skunkworks:

Larger repulsors with some cunning ideas for better dynamics across the range.

Ideas for smaller wheels and landing gear. Repulsor landing gear too ;)

Star Wars style speeder bike. Yep, Kerbals will sit in it just like the external command seat.

Tracks. I think I know enough to pick up the existing mod and debug/make some new models.

But.... I can only get all this out if I'm not spending time hunting down bugs for a hundred people on a very early release. Please be patient, release day will come when I'm happy it's not going to fall over half the time, crash the game and cause weird behavior! Some of this stuff has never been tried in KSP before (to my knowledge) and I'm a newbie at the whole thing.

As ever, thanks for the comments/encouragement. Makes all the work worthwhile :)

I'll keep you updated.

Edited by lo-fi

I'm not sure what your plans include but at the moment the repulsor seems hard to deal with compared to the wheel-repulsor, even when retracted it still has no friction and needs (just IMO) an option to launch retracted, also the wheel-repulsor gets a much slower/smoother transition between states (you can get launched quite high switching states even on Kerbin). Still great parts and I don't think I'll be using other wheels much.

I think I may have voided the warranty but with the extra height on the new version I was able to get a stable fast pod racer together, amazing fun to pilot, especially with a cockpit view - Thanks :)

^ The rear is SpacePlane Plus with added TweakScale to shrink it, most of the front is B9, also a Procedural Parts fuel tank and some structural parts from Infernal Robotics Rework and TV Pizza wings is I think all of it, oh and KAS winches and strengthened with ID strong struts.

Edit, and I forgot the most important, Firespitter air-brakes on the back.

Edited by Darren9

Absolutely loving the designs, guys. The pod racer really does look the part! Very interesting to see how you guys are using the parts.

Comments noted, Darren9. Start retracted option is not hard to add, smoothing the transition should not be too taxing either - I noticed myself it's starting to become a problem at higher ride heights.

So looks like anti-roll is a non-starter unless I write entirely new wheel code and abandon all the stock stuff :(

The stock ModuleWheel does some weird stuff with the spring settings and I just can't hack a way around it. Other methods do not yield satisfactory results, sadly, so I'll move on for the moment. Quite annoyed, it would have been really cool. Writing my own isn't going to be _that_ hard, just seriously time consuming :/

On a brighter note, I still think that pod racer is brilliant. I must have watched the video about ten times now!

Testing Continues as a process of continual improvement, personally run so many mini tests it's all becoming a blur. It looks like the improvements to wheels dll is bringing noticable results.

So i thought that i'd share some pics that nicely show, that with the smoothSteering hierarchy and the associated although not required plugin for a massive improvement in articulation and terrain following of the rovers wheels, you can take your rover anywhere.

If you have an existing rover wheel project that you'd like to convert to the smoothSteering hierarchy it's no problem, and if you are unity familiar enough to make a wheel that works in the first place, you'll have no issues converting your models, I'll be posting in my Rover wheels thread a quicky how to, or how I did it anyway, I'll go into more detail there.

But without further ado the pics, all taken in the mountains behind KSC, this is from a bare instal with only my Rover wheels equipped with the advanced hierarchy ,Chassis, pods and the Kerbal Foundries plugin and it's associated parts. So no tricky parts no mechjeb no mods at all and it's very clean and quiet I might add.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Further testing adding mods continues.

Spanner

Wow, just found this. Those wheels are looking pretty good (I have hard times not reading that phrase without glados voice XD)

Anyway, keep up the good work and I hope we can see a release soon :)

I see a few new challenges coming on ;)

Can you get right around Minmus with one tank of RCS

Can you reach escape velocity over the lakes

Land speed records for each celestial body...

Outstanding!

Got an exciting new method for repulsor setup which massively increases stability over harsh changes in terrain. I'll be revealing a prototype repulsor this evening, so wait for that. It will help!

Will also adjust code so you can start flight with repulsors retracted.

Right, new parts available for those of you testing. Use the repulsor versions with the TEST suffix. I'll quietly merge into the standard repulsor when I've had some feedback.

You _should_ find them much more stable, especially at higher ride heights (which I've increased).

Option for starting retracted has also been added

Something cool about to come out of the KF SkunkWorks too ;)