502 Error Ocurrance List

Javster

And an update from my end as well: the cause has been tracked down somewhat, and we're either going to have to upgrade the server or do some cuts in the way the forum software works so it uses less CPU time. Nothing set in stone just yet, but progress.

And an update from my end as well: the cause has been tracked down somewhat, and we're either going to have to upgrade the server or do some cuts in the way the forum software works so it uses less CPU time. Nothing set in stone just yet, but progress.

Alright. Any possibility of REVEALING the problem?

No need, no point. Since when does a server admin tell anyone when it's going to be breaking down except those who have the power to do something about it? It's generally better that those who can't do anything aren't told anything they don't need to know.

No need, no point. Since when does a server admin tell anyone when it's going to be breaking down except those who have the power to do something about it? It's generally better that those who can't do anything aren't told anything they don't need to know.

But what if I wanted to try? :P

Ah ok then...

Alright. Any possibility of REVEALING the problem?

Thing is, with problems such as these, it's not always easy to pin down the problem based on the symptoms. It's easy to tell when you haven't fixed the problem, because it keeps happening. On the other hand, even when you have fixed the problem, there can easily be a reasonably long period of uncertainty while you're basically just waiting for the problem to re-occur. Such is life for a sysadmin. Then add in end-users who think that explaining in minute detail how much the problem is inconveniencing them, presumably because they think this results in a quicker fix (seriously, it doesn't), and you arrive at the reason so many of us earn the BOFH label.

Now on the other hand, in nearly 20 years of server-managing, I've rarely held it to be a good idea to invoke need-to-know, unless there is a serious need for secrecy. There's a fine line between saying nothing, and looking like you don't know what the problem is. (Not an accusation, merely an observation based on my own experiences - KasperVLD has done sterling work keeping us informed IMO.)

Mind you that I'm not a system administrator or anything of the sorts. I get my information from Alexmora who gets his information from the actual sysadmins. The problem at the moment is that the server uses too much CPU during the peak operating moments of the forums, causing processes to be dropped and us seeing 502 errors. There are a few options we have to look at, but I can't discuss all of them so I choose to not discuss any of them. Plus, I'm not the one who gets to make the call on what to do :)

Mind you that I'm not a system administrator or anything of the sorts. I get my information from Alexmora who gets his information from the actual sysadmins. The problem at the moment is that the server uses too much CPU during the peak operating moments of the forums, causing processes to be dropped and us seeing 502 errors. There are a few options we have to look at, but I can't discuss all of them so I choose to not discuss any of them. Plus, I'm not the one who gets to make the call on what to do :)

So the problem is known, it is being dealt with and Mr Wolf is on the case.

sorted.

As you have said it seems like a case of increasing capacity (or reducing load, although capacity is often easier to add) rather than hunting out an `issue`(like a bug), which is not very quick to fix but is a fairly safe bet to reduce the problems.

Thank you for letting us know

Ah, now that's a better answer :) .

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.