Here's Your First Look at Kerbal Space Program: First Contract

SQUAD

I'm looking forward to seeing how .24 impacts my gameplay. "Efficient" really isn't a part of my design vocabulary. Also looking forward to see how late-game stuff like space stations, Mun bases, asteroid captures, etc. gets affected. You know, the stuff that never comes back down to Kerbin for recovery. Can't wait to read that FAQ!

I thought he did very well in what is obviously not his first language, easily understood. I would mangle a script in Spanish.

I'm having a very hard time understanding what he's saying too. Seems like for a promo video that would not be the intended effect

Article here mentions a bit more about contracts, specifically the Kerbin World-Firsts Record-Keeping Society. Might this mean the media roll-out has started for Tuesday?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/14/kerbal-space-program-career-mode-trailer/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rockpapershotgun%2Fsteam+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%3A+Steam+RSS%29

This looks great!

I'm curious how the balance will be struck between pure exploration and, for lack of a better term, "commercial spaceflight."

NASA isn't in the business of making a profit when sending out space probes to Pluto. Yes they need to be constrained to a budget. Commercial satellite style launches that might be contracted, on the other hand would need to be more economical.

I'd expect to see a drop in giant Asparagus staged rockets. So fun with the SLS parts though...

This looks great!

I'm curious how the balance will be struck between pure exploration and, for lack of a better term, "commercial spaceflight."

As much as I'm really looking forward to contracts, funding and everything else in the impending update I find myself worrying about this as well. While having costs of rockets is a good thing will we effectively become "slaves to the contract" in order to gain enough funding to run missions we want to do, or do anything that isn't directly related to a contract?

Say I wanted to build a space station around Planet Gamma or a base on Moon Alpha, obviously that's going to cost a fair amount and yield little if any funding because it's a personal objective rather than an actual contract. Though maybe that won't be so bad because it'll be a large project and could be done in stages once extra funding is procured from completing other unrelated contracts, maybe there's no need to be worried about it in that regard :).

On the other hand though will there come a point where the only contracts available require you to go to far away places? Not that there's anything wrong with going to those far away places for contracts (it's a good thing), I mean for someone like me that perhaps likes to hang around Kerbin's moons and "maybe" take a trip to Duna once in a while will there still be enough local contracts available to maintain funding or will we be forced to follow contracts into the outer reaches?

As much as I'm really looking forward to contracts, funding and everything else in the impending update I find myself worrying about this as well.

If it's balanced like MCE was, you'll have extra money left over for side projects. Remember, they want to keep the game accessible even to new players, which means that there has to be room for occasional failure within the budgets.

As much as I'm really looking forward to contracts, funding and everything else in the impending update I find myself worrying about this as well. While having costs of rockets is a good thing will we effectively become "slaves to the contract" in order to gain enough funding to run missions we want to do, or do anything that isn't directly related to a contract?

I'm sure there will be plenty of extra money available to allow for failures from newbie players, which veteran players can put towards bases or whatever else they want. But it looks like the contracts will be generated such that you can usually accomplish at least a few of them incidentally on most missions. Failing everything else, Sandbox mode isn't going anywhere. :)

Remember, too, that the currencies are supposedly exchangeable, so if you're short of funds for your project you can cash in some science or reputation (I think).

Not in 0.24.

Everyone should read the FAQ posted today, it will end a lot of speculation. (I'm sure you will find new things to speculate about though)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/294-Kerbal-Space-Program-First-Contract-The-FAQ

Not in 0.24.

Everyone should read the FAQ posted today, it will end a lot of speculation. (I'm sure you will find new things to speculate about though)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/content/294-Kerbal-Space-Program-First-Contract-The-FAQ

My post predated the FAQ, but you're right, the currency exchange has not been implemented.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.