Here's Your First Look at Kerbal Space Program: First Contract

SQUAD

Upon viewing it again, you could be right. Procedural contracts: SoonTM.

I understand it that after doing the first set of contracts, like going to Mun the game start to give procedural and random ones.

This makes a lot of sense, in the beginning you would have a hard time reaching mun or minmus and return so the random Eeloo mission would be kind of insulting.

Now one interesting issue is time, an just an Duna return mission take years.

The thing I'm looking forward to? Reverse rockets. Engine clusters built to use monoprop, and RCS control measures using liquid fuel and oxy-clean. Sweet.

Whackjob, could you explain to me why this would be useful?

There are lot of questions around part recovery -- what about parts that get jettisoned during launch like SRBs and stages? Are parachutes or probe cores needed, etc?

they pretty definitively said those would NOT get recovered w/o a mod at the moment

How long will it take for 64bit to be available for macs, and pardon the ignorance but why is there a delay for mac users?

64-bit being available is entirely dependent on Unity support for 64-bit. Unity has supported it on Linux for a while, supports it on PC tolerably now (it's not perfect, still somewhat buggy according to Maxmaps, but tolerable, and the person who discovered it works showed people are fine with the bugginess), and no one knows when it'll work on Macs.

64-bit being available is entirely dependent on Unity support for 64-bit. Unity has supported it on Linux for a while, supports it on PC tolerably now (it's not perfect, still somewhat buggy according to Maxmaps, but tolerable, and the person who discovered it works showed people are fine with the bugginess), and no one knows when it'll work on Macs.

Well that was really my question, why is there a delay?

Well that was really my question, why is there a delay?

Because Unity 64-bit on Macs is unstable. You'd have to ask Unity people why; my guess is that it's just hard to get working right.

Wooo a video that showed contracts. Contracts are scripted until they're not... and then? NO AND THEN!!

We get so little information about these things until the very last minute that I just can't trust what I think I hear. Assuming the worst means I'm never disappointed around here.

Yeah, this. Tried to rep this comment. guess I need to spread some more rep around until I get back to ya, though.

even though its the day after my birthday, the announcement of 64 bit ksp was truly the best thing to hear and i guess ill consider it a gift, anyways, does this mean no more slamming bill into minmus for joy~ uh i mean science? also again i love the 64 bit! ksp has been running a little slow with the mods i want to use, so maybe this will help a lot, Thanks Squad!

Edited by Tanner Rawlings

Just in case you're still taking questions for the FAQ's, will running out of money for a game-over be common? Or can we use entry-level contracts (orbit Kerbin etc.) to sort of at least stay afloat and keep making money? Looking forward to career mode expanded but my space program has always developed a little, hrmm, explosively. I know the goal is to cut down on using too many boosters etc., but I hope I can still build pens for my space donkeys. They can be troublesome when they get out.

I must admit i'm sceptical, as a few others have mentioned they are. This looks like a reimplementation of the toolbar plugin and a half-baked implementation of the Mission Controller Extended mod. Sure, official 64-bit support and a few other tidbits are nice, but...six months of development time for this?

Please prove me wrong on this. :)

Even if the procedural method of creatiing contracts is not yet available, I see a lot of potential of the current scripted implementation, esp. with the modding community. I can picture people creating, "easy space programs" and "uber-hardcore difficult program but with high yield" kind of scripts, if they allow the scripts to be modified, or allow creation of contract scripts from scratch. I picture that this would be a delight for people who love creating the "challenges".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.