The 2014 Officially Unofficial Apollo 11 Recreation Thread

The Jedi Master

Yay for mouthful titles!

So, on July 20th, it will be exactly 45 years since the Apollo 11 moon landing. This being a forum about a game which has the main premise of SPACE, that is a pretty big deal around here. We tend to celebrate by recreating the moon landing on the big day, using an Apollo-style lander. If you don't know how that works, look up "KSP Apollo style" on Google, it will tell you everything you need to know.

Since there wasn't already a thread for this, I suggest we use this thread to discuss such things, then, when the big day comes, we post a bunch of Apollo-style Mun landings. Preferably, I'd like it to be near the Armstrong memorial (look up coordinates if you need help), but anywhere will do. Lets do this! :cool:

PS. If someone can make a special flag for the event, that would be even better! Be sure to post it for everyone to use!

I was working on a stock, RSS Apollo look and act alike, but it refused to load past 2228 parts. If someone can recommend me some massive mod engines, I'll have another go, using mod parts Saturn-V.

I was working on a stock, RSS Apollo look and act alike, but it refused to load past 2228 parts. If someone can recommend me some massive mod engines, I'll have another go, using mod parts Saturn-V.

I believe that the FASA SatV has RSS compatability with some partches by Reddragon IIRC. That, and Hakari's RocketDyne F-1 is distributed as part of Real Fules, again, IIRC.

I believe that the FASA SatV has RSS compatability with some partches by Reddragon IIRC. That, and Hakari's RocketDyne F-1 is distributed as part of Real Fules, again, IIRC.

Ok, I might try one of those. I'm not going to use Real Fues though, as that might take extra time to learn. I might try my stock Apollo, on a procedural tanks Sat-V.

In the mean time, here is my flight from last year. It wasn't perfect, I took a few liberties, made a few mistakes, and one of my kerbals....

Well, you'll have to read it and see.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Tw1

That's a lot of parts! Are they concentrated in any one stage in particular?

That's a lot of parts! Are they concentrated in any one stage in particular?

That was the apollo unit itself, and the upper stage. I used a lot of part clipping to keep things looking and working right, yet still having plenty of Delta-V to do the job. A fair amount went into the upper stage's tanks, fairings, and (very clustered) engines, so if I find sufficient mod parts, I should be able to cut it down a bit.

ED62uK.png

I'll be launching this. It's not exactly a perfect likeness, but its got the CSM/LM, the lander has separate ascent and descent stages, there's a pair of satellites to leave in Mun orbit and a pair of rovers coming down in the lander. Just have to run a couple of tests to be certain there's enough fuel to do the mission. Fortunately, I have 9t left in the lift capacity of my new FiveByFive lifter (70t to LKO, two stages, both being clusters of five engines), so I can cram a few more small fuel tanks in if necessary.

I'll try to land at the memorial, but I'm not entirely sure on its location. Perhaps I'll find it while I run those tests...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.