• Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

12 hours ago, SR said:

Not the UK. The space act makes launching cubesats almost impossible. as the space act assumes satellites are big multi million pound vehicles, it means you have to pay insurance and tax wich adds up to sixty thousand. 

:0.0:lolwut

7 minutes ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

I don't understand how anything beyond LEO is possible, but i say think big, go to Titan, anything is possible!

So have we decided on what to do and where to go? How is moss related in any way to ksp? are we going to send a picture of Jeb? 

It's not to be related to KSP. It's to contribute to scientific knowledge. It just happens to be run by part of the KSP community.

18 hours ago, Emperor of the Titan Squid said:

I don't understand how anything beyond LEO is possible, but i say think big, go to Titan, anything is possible!

So have we decided on what to do and where to go? How is moss related in any way to ksp? are we going to send a picture of Jeb? 

And yes, the destination has been decided. It's not BLEO. http://forums.mossat.org/

Edited by fredinno

• 1 month later...

Cool concept - I like the LEO moss concept. What's the all-up payload mass of the orbiting system? If less than or equal to 4kg, these guys might be able to help:

http://www.tranquilityaerospace.com/TranqWeb/DevonTwo.html

Small Brit startup based in Oxfordshire with a reusable two stage rocket, capable of hefting a 4kg payload to LEO. Principally aimed at cubesats/microsats. Might be worth investigating, might not.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Greetings Space lovers, 

i am new to CubeSAT designing and i would like your help about some of its subsystems and how much do they cost.

1. Any CPU recommendations ?

2. Any reliable VHF antennas ?

3. I read somewhere about magnetorquers. Is it necessary for a CubeSAT to have one??

4. Heating/Cooling system?

5. Are back up batteries necessary ?

6. I know that VHF communication may be really bad due to the low transfer speed. Any suggestions about a different approach in communications?

7. What power supply is more suitable for both producing enough Watts and meet the requirements of the launch? (How many Watts an average CubeSAT can have?) 

Thank you in advance guys! :D

On 5/29/2017 at 1:08 PM, PoSeiDon_Team said:

Greetings Space lovers, 

i am new to CubeSAT designing and i would like your help about some of its subsystems and how much do they cost.

1. Any CPU recommendations ?

2. Any reliable VHF antennas ?

3. I read somewhere about magnetorquers. Is it necessary for a CubeSAT to have one??

4. Heating/Cooling system?

5. Are back up batteries necessary ?

6. I know that VHF communication may be really bad due to the low transfer speed. Any suggestions about a different approach in communications?

7. What power supply is more suitable for both producing enough Watts and meet the requirements of the launch? (How many Watts an average CubeSAT can have?) 

Thank you in advance guys! :D

On 5/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

@K^2, is this project still going on? I hope it is, sounds AWESOME! :) 

On 5/30/2017 at 10:59 AM, Oliverm001x said:

This would be an amazing project!!!

Go up near the top to freddinos post, there's another forum link there :)

1 minute ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Thanks, last post was in 2016 though, doesn't look good... :( 

Maybe it could be revived, one of the forum users made an aerospace company for cubesats, I forgot his forum name, but it's Cloud aero, and there's a forum here in the loungr I believe. 

Just now, Spaceception said:

Maybe it could be revived, one of the forum users made an aerospace company for cubesats, I forgot his forum name, but it's Cloud aero, and there's a forum here in the loungr I believe. 

The CloudAero guy is @Tristonwilson12, but even that has seemed to stall, with nothing happening since early April. :( 

As for reviving the project, I've PM'd @K^2 about it, but no response yet.

Unfortunately, I no longer remotely have the amount of time required to make but an incidental contribution. (And for a while, I was locked out completely by employment contracts.)

I can probably assist in getting guidance and tracking worked out on the mathy side, but there are tons and tons of mechanical and electrical engineering that needs to be done.

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but here's some interesting information if anyone wants to look at some off the shelf components: http://www.cubesatkit.com/index.html and their price list: http://www.pumpkininc.com/content/doc/forms/pricelist.pdf Also, Aerojet Rocketdyne makes CubeSat propulsion: https://www.rocket.com/cubesat pretty awesome.

I'm more than happy to do some of the mechanical design for stuff, layouts, packaging, weight and CG analysis, etc. I have access to SolidWorks 2015 and NX9 through work and I can use them for personal projects. The vote seems to indicate a Phobos mission but I don't really know how practical that would be. Maybe if it were to hitch a ride with the 2020 rover or one of SpaceX's upcoming Mars missions?

On 6/1/2017 at 0:32 PM, TheEpicSquared said:

The CloudAero guy is @Tristonwilson12, but even that has seemed to stall, with nothing happening since early April. :( 

As for reviving the project, I've PM'd @K^2 about it, but no response yet.

We haven't stalled, things are moving actually really well, and if this community wants to make a CubeSat, ill offer the flight free of charge cause this community is great!

Edited by Tristonwilson12

56 minutes ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

We haven't stalled, things are moving actually really well, and if this community wants to make a CubeSat, ill offer the flight free of charge cause this community is great!

And I'll be running the mission control over it :) . As eager as you may be, I can easily match it as my desire to finally get us underway!

1 hour ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

That would actually make a huge difference. Do you have a list of requirements somewhere? Mostly in terms of mechanical reliability testing something would have to go through before getting a ride.

7 hours ago, Tristonwilson12 said:

WOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Tristonwilson12 is CA still on track for a first launch next year? 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.