I suggest an Impactor for Science!

OK so I am quite a bright guy ;P just the Couradge bar is empty heh

I suggest a completly new part! AN IMPACTOR! new kind of science! There are so many missions IRL that are just to impact into something in space(Deep Impact, Ladee, now the Cassini) YET no one ever though of it be in the game. It should be easy to add and will make a completly new kind of crafts and a new mission to the asteroids besides the CLAW missions. A new thing that would be a nice addition. If squad will read this ... PLease think about it. I leave the details to the Forum and You. I wonder if You will agree with me.

Edited by pololop

Even if my idea is GREAT ;P!!! There are some problems. If You would like to send a probe to orbit the mun and The Impactor to hit the mun The 2.5km physics ball could be a problem and also a new nice Impactor Explosions would be kinda obvious. Should biomes be taken into acount? How would You transmit the science?

There is somethink to think about. I never used the Interstellar mod because i dont see Mega reactors and super fusion stuff a thing (maybe after the Interstellar film) Soo i dont know how the impactor works in this mod

The various achievement mods have no problem awarding you science when you crash a ship. It shouldn't be too hard for someone with a bit of knowhow to program a part that gave science when it was crashed into something. It would probably have to be the focused craft though.

Interstellar mod has such experiment. Extremely lucrative in terms of science as well. place seismic sensors on a celestial body, then crash objects into the surface. the seismic sensors will record data from the impacts. You can transmit the data or return the sensor to kerbin for the science.

Interstellar mod has such experiment. Extremely lucrative in terms of science as well. place seismic sensors on a celestial body, then crash objects into the surface. the seismic sensors will record data from the impacts. You can transmit the data or return the sensor to kerbin for the science.

Looks like the future of possible missions in stock KSP. I do belive that there will be more complex things to do than just land and go back or stay or whatever. Putting a seismograph with comunication capabilities befor an impct seems like a thing to do. Didn't even think of that :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.