[1.4] StageRecovery - Recover Funds+ from Dropped Stages - v1.8.0 (March 11, 2018)

magico13

5 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Or to whatever the 'Kerbal buck' symbol is used throughout the stock game.

It used to show up properly as the square root symbol (what is used for currency) but some update of KSP broke all that. Science used to show up correctly too. I'm not sure what the correct procedure for getting those icons out of the game is anymore, but I can just manually put in the root symbol.

@magico13 I'm having an issue with crew recovery. When a vessel is recovered by Stage Recovery, the tab for crew says they're recovered, but when I go back to the space center and open the astronaut complex, they're listed as KIA.  

update

Here are some screenshots showing what I'm seeing. SR screen showing crew recovered. Astronaut complex showing crew KIA.

Here is my log file from testing on a clean 1.2.1 install with only SR, Mechjeb, MM, and Hyperedit installed.

Edited by nebuchadnezzar
added pics and log file

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sardia said:

I added parachutes to my stages, but it said it burned up in atmosphere. =( Will adding a probecore to the dropped stage help? Or do I have to maintain a certain launch profile?

i had this sometimes too, but, i think it was when the returning stages PE was over 10-15 k, most i seen this at 30k PE. So i began to use PE <10k to negative PE. Then, i never seen burnt up stages and para. parachutes don't need to be opened.

15 hours ago, sardia said:

I added parachutes to my stages, but it said it burned up in atmosphere. =( Will adding a probecore to the dropped stage help? Or do I have to maintain a certain launch profile?

Burned up in atmosphere means it re-entered too fast.  Chutes don't help there, stages dropped at near orbital velocity sometimes burn.  I think we will have to wait for a deceleration burn program in Stage Recovery to reliably get them back.  Remember, the Falcon 9 first stage has to do a retroburn even though it's nowhere near orbital velocity.

Interested in this, but here's my question:

1. While recovering parts are nice, does this mod make sure parts persist instead of flyign ballistically, or is it just a straight calculation? I am interested in getting this mod to make my plane-launched spacecraft recoverable.
  2. How well does this mod do against mismatched version? KER, for example, did it well by allowing their designed-for-1.1.3 work with 1.2.1

@Jestersage For your first question :

I assume it is just a calculation, after the jettison's part leave physic range. If you want more control there is this mod :

It hasn't be officially updated for 1.2.1 yet but I think there's a working fork (check the last two pages).

On 11/22/2016 at 2:50 AM, Li0n said:

@Jestersage For your first question :

I assume it is just a calculation, after the jettison's part leave physic range. If you want more control there is this mod :

It hasn't be officially updated for 1.2.1 yet but I think there's a working fork (check the last two pages).

I may look into the codes of FMRS myself... need some project to work on anyway. My concern is that I need modulemanager. If I need to modify it so it doesn't, then there's a project.

So far, no one answered if I can use it without modulemanager.

Back to topic: For StageRecovery, would it work for airlaunch carriers by treating it as a powered stage? Nevermind, will try it.

EDIT3: yes, it will recover a Jet launcher, as I have tested it with the stock-craft Stratolauncher

EDIT4 / Question: So how well does it stand against mod-game version mismatch?

Edited by Jestersage

@magico13 I have a few "NullReferenceException" showing up in the log when a vessel/stage is destroyed :

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Transform:INTERNAL_CALL_InverseTransformDirection (UnityEngine.Transform,UnityEngine.Vector3&,UnityEngine.Vector3&)
  at UnityEngine.Transform.InverseTransformDirection (Vector3 direction) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at StageRecovery.RecoveryItem.DetermineTerminalVelocity () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
StageRecovery.RecoveryItem:DetermineTerminalVelocity()
StageRecovery.RecoveryItem:Process()
StageRecovery.StageRecovery:VesselDestroyEvent(Vessel)
EventData`1:Fire(Vessel)
Vessel:Die()
Vessel:CheckKill()
VesselPrecalculate:MainPhysics(Boolean)
VesselPrecalculate:FixedUpdate()

Full output_log.txt

Tested in a new stock career in KSP 1.2.1 with Stage Recovery 1.6.5.0. Occurred whatever the stage is recoverable or not.

It don't break Stage Recovery (or anythings else as far as I can see), I still get fund back when it should and the math seems correct, but I think you should know.

2 hours ago, Li0n said:

@magico13 I have a few "NullReferenceException" showing up in the log when a vessel/stage is destroyed :

Tested in a new stock career in KSP 1.2.1 with Stage Recovery 1.6.5.0. Occurred whatever the stage is recoverable or not.

It don't break Stage Recovery (or anythings else as far as I can see), I still get fund back when it should and the math seems correct, but I think you should know.

I'm pretty sure that's an expected exception because the vessel isn't fully loaded. It's during the terminal velocity calculation when using stock chutes (or no chutes). It shouldn't really affect much, but if you notice things not behaving as expected then let me know. Thanks.

On 11/22/2016 at 0:16 AM, Jestersage said:

Interested in this, but here's my question:

1. While recovering parts are nice, does this mod make sure parts persist instead of flyign ballistically, or is it just a straight calculation? I am interested in getting this mod to make my plane-launched spacecraft recoverable.
  2. How well does this mod do against mismatched version? KER, for example, did it well by allowing their designed-for-1.1.3 work with 1.2.1

1. No, this mod is (almost) purely reactive and only comes into effect when a vessel is destroyed by being in atmosphere. That means less than 25km altitude and more than 22.5km from the active vessel for Stock. Powered recovery should let a jet be recovered, but there's a TWR requirement of >=1.0 that is configurable, which jets might not meet.

2. I generally only support one version of KSP at a time since any breaks are caused by the KSP binaries changing, which I am not in control of. Even if code works in both versions, the .net framework may not let the mod's binaries work with the different KSP binaries. If that's a problem, bring it up with Microsoft :P Generally small updates like 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 will work in both, but sometimes they like to make major changes in supposedly small updates that cause me to have to rewrite entire sections of the mod (see 1.0.2 as an example).

Also, regarding FMRS, StageRecovery is designed to work with it (though that hasn't been tested in a while). If FMRS is active then StageRecovery will only recover uncontrolled stock parachuted vessels and let FMRS handle the rest. If FMRS is turned off then StageRecovery will try to recover everything.

I love this mod. Fantastic work. It felt a little cheesy at first but once I got the money ratio set right it felt very natural and added something very important to the game. 

I have also found it quite useful in the VAB even for stages that I will be piloting because the panel gives me a much better sense of how any parachutes I need.

I would love a way to change a setting so that rather than being auto recovered, "surviving" stages were just placed on the ground. I realize this would be super hard and would definitely have side effects since you would have trouble getting it to know how to orient the craft, but it would be cool nonetheless if you happen to come up with an easy way to code it.

But seriously thank you. This mod is a big deal for my game. 

Edited by RentedTritium

On 11/20/2016 at 6:34 PM, sardia said:

I'm adding airbrakes to my second stages and have found they improve the rate of recoverability

Are there dependencies for this other than Toolbar? I'm not seeing the icon showing up right now. I don't use CKAN, mainly because, last time I tried, it didn't work and wasn't updating my mods right. Thanks for the help.

Nevermind, I tarded all over myself.

Edited by aaronburro