[1.12.x] USI Exploration Pack - Small parts, big adventure! [v 0.6.0]

RoverDude

Has anyone ever made kerbals into debris?

I was using the pack-rat with 4 seats, one guy gets out, he's in the middle of the car, kraken strikes, other passengers get flung off due to the rotational forces. They survive the landing, but as debris, can't control them, their like little kerbal statues on the mun now... I'll post of video of the kraken strike a bit later (after work).

I was using the pack-rat with 4 seats, one guy gets out, he's in the middle of the car, kraken strikes, other passengers get flung off due to the rotational forces. They survive the landing, but as debris, can't control them, their like little kerbal statues on the mun now... I'll post of video of the kraken strike a bit later (after work).

I've read reports of it happening.

If you haven't already, here is a thread that should detail how to fix your problem.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/75586-Master-Thread-Unresponsive-Kerbals-in-EVA

I wish someone would make a mod to fix the problem or provide a rest of the Kerbal without having to edit the save file. To address the issue I changed a landercan to work in place of the seat. Not pretty but circumvents the problem from occurring :)

Yeah, i cant use the rover at all without the kraken striking, i cant change ships and then change back without kraken striking down on me hard, Its like it loses all physics and what not, start to rotate and sling my kerbals out =(.

First time using the rover apart from testing around the VAB and i was so happy to use it after a long journey =/.

Hey guys, I'm having an odd problem. I simply cannot build the Rover via KAS. I can put down a pylon. I can then put down the front, just like in the video. But the chassis section does not give me any choice to attach. When I grab a chassis section I only get the option to drop or release.

Hey guys, I'm having an odd problem. I simply cannot build the Rover via KAS. I can put down a pylon. I can then put down the front, just like in the video. But the chassis section does not give me any choice to attach. When I grab a chassis section I only get the option to drop or release.

Just an update with pictures. As you can see I can put down a pylon and the front section. But the chassis sections are missing an attach menu item. Not sure how to troubleshoot.

rWbWBeX.png

exYTfK6.png

Since I just poked you over on your MKS thread I figured I would add some additional information that I have tested with.

I have tested with a clean install of KSP 0.24.2 I installed only packrat, KAS latest version with the DLL fix for 0.24.2 (32 bit first). I tested and got the same results.

I then removed and applied the 64bit DLL fix for KAS and ran 64 bit KSP and had the same issue.

I have found that if I drop the front chassis on the ground, I can attach the front to the chassis. But I cannot connect the front and back chassis together since neither has an attach option.

Assembled it is one of my favorite vehicles in KSP. It was instrumental in assembling my Mun base. I just had to do an additional launch to bring an already assembled packrat. My Duna expedition would have to wait a long time for theirs unfortunately :(

Since I just poked you over on your MKS thread I figured I would add some additional information that I have tested with.

I have tested with a clean install of KSP 0.24.2 I installed only packrat, KAS latest version with the DLL fix for 0.24.2 (32 bit first). I tested and got the same results.

I then removed and applied the 64bit DLL fix for KAS and ran 64 bit KSP and had the same issue.

I have found that if I drop the front chassis on the ground, I can attach the front to the chassis. But I cannot connect the front and back chassis together since neither has an attach option.

Assembled it is one of my favorite vehicles in KSP. It was instrumental in assembling my Mun base. I just had to do an additional launch to bring an already assembled packrat. My Duna expedition would have to wait a long time for theirs unfortunately :(

Watch his video on the first page, the attach function is on the part your attaching it to. It is a little confusing the first time you do it but once you build one its all cake from there :)

My only complaint is not having a TAC LS bag that looks good on the Rat.

Watch his video on the first page, the attach function is on the part your attaching it to. It is a little confusing the first time you do it but once you build one its all cake from there :)

This :) It's what lets them snap into place. You are 'storing' them in the other part

Loving this, revisit mun for the first time in a wile and i brought plenty of spareparts for rovering :D I was thinking, are you planning on adding more modules to it?

Like foldable chair that takes less room, miniwings, tetractable ladder, winch prop for easy rope acces to kas. Oxygancan(hexagon or vanillia)

Just some thoughts, you did an great work with this!

Loving this, revisit mun for the first time in a wile and i brought plenty of spareparts for rovering :D I was thinking, are you planning on adding more modules to it?

Like foldable chair that takes less room, miniwings, tetractable ladder, winch prop for easy rope acces to kas. Oxygancan(hexagon or vanillia)

Just some thoughts, you did an great work with this!

nli2work is making a set of karbonite bits to go with it :) And I have some plans for this in an upcoming mod.

Argh,

I've watched the video at least 20 times, pausing at key locations. Not sure how I missed that. Thanks for your help Donzi and finally noticing. I was starting to feel like one of those people that keeps bumping a thread over and over.

Found the mod, i love that little rover!

I do have a request: would you be able (and willing) to make a couple screenshots of some of the parts in Unity? I'm trying to figure out some stuff and this would really help! Plus, it would look cool.

Doesn't quite work right for me. The chassis, RTG, batteries, seat, wheels? Fine. However...

That's a pretty important part and it refuses to attach no matter what I do. I can work around using some of the other nodes and a cubic octagonal strut, but that's not exactly ideal and leaves it flopping around like a wet noodle. Any idea what's going on here?

The flatbed is inverted... The transmission bar should be underneath... Also in the VAB or SPH you should start building from the rollbar, then fit the forward assembly, then snap everything else.

While I'm posting... Has anyone found a decent way to fit RCS and/or SAS to this rover? I really like it, however I find that rovers in general (and this is no exception judging from my latest munar exploration) are really unusable without sas and/or rcs (and even then they are barely worth the effort... Packing more dV to move the lander around is probaby more efficient anyway).

Frankly I was almost going to forego the wheels altogether and just slap monoprop tanks there, with RCS thrusters all around, at least for the low G planets.

Another issue I noticed is that leaving the command seat can often end in "rapid unplanned disassembly", with the poor Jeb getting ejected at some speed while banging his head against the rollbar (the command seat is NOT underneath it however).

Edited by GeckoOBac

Doesn't quite work right for me. The chassis, RTG, batteries, seat, wheels? Fine. However...

That's a pretty important part and it refuses to attach no matter what I do. I can work around using some of the other nodes and a cubic octagonal strut, but that's not exactly ideal and leaves it flopping around like a wet noodle. Any idea what's going on here?

You have it on upside down, start with the frot chassis section first if you are building it like that :)

Is there a crate or 'disk drive' we can save science data to on the rover? I was thinking of taking this to minmus to hit various biomes and store samples in a sample return crate which will be brought back to kerbin.

The science containers are just that: you can store science in there like they were a pod.

The science containers are just that: you can store science in there like they were a pod.

Ah, good. And they'll retain the science data if I pull it off the rover and attach it to the return vehicle? Thanks!

Back to furiously planning my next moon mission.

Another issue I noticed is that leaving the command seat can often end in "rapid unplanned disassembly", with the poor Jeb getting ejected at some speed while banging his head against the rollbar (the command seat is NOT underneath it however).

While I haven't suffered disassembly yet, I have had my kerbals consistently ragdoll a bit when getting out.

Also, I've had a few issues on the Mun with traction, mostly great difficultly accelerating. I assume it is due to the low weight of the rover (and therefor not really the mod's fault) but I thought it was worth a mention just in case. Other than that, I'm loving it so far :D

For anyone who's having kraken attacks upon getting out: Don't use the roll cage. It looks neat and all, but since the Kerbal's heads are clipping through it, when they get out of the seats they will freak out.

Not been my experience tbh but I'll check the collider. It is not the same as the model's footprint.

For anyone who's having kraken attacks upon getting out: Don't use the roll cage. It looks neat and all, but since the Kerbal's heads are clipping through it, when they get out of the seats they will freak out.

The heads only clip if you put seats in the back slots, you could take the cage off for a multi crew setup though :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.