[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

I experienced massive launch complications previously, but was able to resolve by uninstalling and manually reinstalling. Out of the blue, I have had a reappearance of launch complications to which updating both mods has escalated said issues. I was informed previously that FAR was required for this mod. Is there a way to use this mod WITHOUT FAR? I'm experiencing way too many issues between the two. As long as I launch at a 0 degree inclination, all is fine. Deviate from that by 0.1 degree and all is lost. Using 1.0.5 as 1.1.2 rendered most rockets unflyable, both with and without FAR.

1 hour ago, wm1248 said:

I experienced massive launch complications previously, but was able to resolve by uninstalling and manually reinstalling. Out of the blue, I have had a reappearance of launch complications to which updating both mods has escalated said issues. I was informed previously that FAR was required for this mod. Is there a way to use this mod WITHOUT FAR? I'm experiencing way too many issues between the two. As long as I launch at a 0 degree inclination, all is fine. Deviate from that by 0.1 degree and all is lost. Using 1.0.5 as 1.1.2 rendered most rockets unflyable, both with and without FAR.

Who told you that FAR was required? That's a lie. I actually balanced the rockets to use specifically WITHOUT FAR...

I've never used FAR (or RSS or RO or PDQ), but I use raidernick's launchers all the time. I guess all those - and by "all those" I mean I've lost count - 51.5° inclination launches were flukes? It works fine as is, mate.

40 minutes ago, raidernick said:

Who told you that FAR was required? That's a lie. I actually balanced the rockets to use specifically WITHOUT FAR...

Thank heavens, all good. Thought I've been flying wrong

1 hour ago, wm1248 said:

What are the optimal launch settings, as far as thrust, turn angle, turn start, turn end, etc...

64 degree turn angle, 0.5 turn start, 60 turn end, 80km height...cheats

Edited by raidernick

32 minutes ago, raidernick said:

64 degree turn angle, 0.5 turn start, 60 turn end, 80km height...cheats

Corrective steering or no? Cheats? Not really as the Russians automated everything to remove human error as much as possible. I land manually and occasionally dock manually. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone help me, the nosecone on the sputnik will not attach to the body of the rocket or sputnik because the space is already taken up by the sputnik. I am wondering if there is any mod or trick to get around this. I hope you understand what I mean.

On 6/21/2016 at 2:18 AM, AlbertoKermov said:

I tried the proton rocket here and I had the problem where when I start to turn at 9km ASL it does a whole 360 instead of the intended 45 degrees.

Is there a special way I'm supposed to launch this? 

Try flying it like a rocket and not a pre-ksp 1.0 aero abomination and it will work fine.

On 6/21/2016 at 5:31 PM, Neeve said:

Can someone help me, the nosecone on the sputnik will not attach to the body of the rocket or sputnik because the space is already taken up by the sputnik. I am wondering if there is any mod or trick to get around this. I hope you understand what I mean.

There is always someone who complains about this. It works fine, it had an issue over a year ago that has been long since fixed in the dozen or so new releases since then. Try attaching it correctly and it will work.

On 21.6.2016 at 8:18 AM, AlbertoKermov said:

I tried the proton rocket here and I had the problem where when I start to turn at 9km ASL it does a whole 360 instead of the intended 45 degrees.

Is there a special way I'm supposed to launch this? 

Ignore whatever old tutorial you've seen on youtube and start your pitch program (turning over) much, much earlier than 9 km. No one in their right mind starts pitching over that late, especially not a 45 degree turn. A rocket with an initial TWR of 1.25-1.35 can start turning as early as 30-40m/s. Those are just ball-park numbers, but they should give you an idea of how to fly these rockets.

3 hours ago, raidernick said:

Try flying it like a rocket and not a pre-ksp 1.0 aero abomination and it will work fine.

There is always someone who complains about this. It works fine, it had an issue over a year ago that has been long since fixed in the dozen or so new releases since then. Try attaching it correctly and it will work.

Okay. I installed it from ckan so it should be up to date

Edited by Neeve

On 6/29/2016 at 6:17 AM, Puggonaut said:

love these thanks for the Update to 1.1.3 .

One quick question , is there a way to delete the Black Smoke Effect on Launch ? as it makes my PC Lag badly .

comment out fx_smokeTrail_medium in the config files for the engines, or you can just reduce the particle count in smokescreen

Hi!

Would it be much work to add tiny markers to all vernier engines, so one can see in the VAB which way they sway^^

A little cross marking the axis would suffice, so one would just need to take care for all crosses pointing radially outwards.

Interestingly, RCS build aid's vernier display cannot realy handle 1d gimbals that only sway around one axis. It makes them sway all ways, X and Y.

Doesn't apply to the R-7 RD-10x verniers, because the tubing around the exhaust-bells can be used to see which way they need to be mounted.

(Those aren't actual rocket engines, only the exhausts of the HTP driven turbopumps, open cycle stuff? Correct me if I'm wrong, still learning all that fascinating engineering stuff)

I don't save them (R-7 and UR-500) as prefabs, I see it as some weird but funny ritual to always build them from scratch :D

Thank you dude for all that awesome stuff, your R-7 and UR-500 helped me understand why they are such awesome rockets IRL :)

4 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

the proton craft files are messed up. All the parts are compressed together. Easy fix, think the craft files got corrupted in the transfer to 1.1.3.

I'm not going to remake them. I had originally removed them because of problems like this occurring so frequently. Someone made a PR on the github for craft files so I included those. If you want to fix them and make a PR for it I'll include them in the next release otherwise I'm just going to delete them again.