[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

Good day sir !,

i love the your mods but i have one problem, the R7 Block B V G D when they seperate from the main core, is it possible for them to make the korolev cross ? I've tried using action group to seperate them and fire the solid fuel at the same time, but the booster just crash to each other.

Thanks

2 hours ago, DiscoveryKSP said:

Good day sir !,

i love the your mods but i have one problem, the R7 Block B V G D when they seperate from the main core, is it possible for them to make the korolev cross ? I've tried using action group to seperate them and fire the solid fuel at the same time, but the booster just crash to each other.

Thanks

why are you using action groups? Staging them does the exact same thing and the cross works perfectly fine for everyone else.

1 hour ago, raidernick said:

why are you using action groups? Staging them does the exact same thing and the cross works perfectly fine for everyone else.

Thanks for the reply, here is a imgur post of the seperation if you want to check it out and please help if you can:

Edited by DiscoveryKSP
Want to add something

6 hours ago, DiscoveryKSP said:

Thanks for the reply, here is a imgur post of the seperation if you want to check it out and please help if you can:

You could try only seperating them when you are pointing exactly, or at least closer to prograde...

In those pics, your AoA is pretty high...

On 3/24/2017 at 7:28 PM, Stone Blue said:

You could try only seperating them when you are pointing exactly, or at least closer to prograde...

In those pics, your AoA is pretty high...

OMG!!! Thank you, i just tested it and it works!!! yessssss:D:D:D:D

PS: If you're prograde is at 30o at only 15.000 M, is it bad?

Edited by DiscoveryKSP

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE SOVIET ROCKETS v2.4

Changelog:

• Add alternate textures for Dnepr to allow it to be used as r-36m(texture switch)
  • Add MIRV warhead for r-36m(this is a WIP)
  • Add Briz-M stage(no adapter for proton yet)
  • Add adapter for Zenit-2 allowing the use of block d as a zenit-3sl
  • fix dnepr gimbal range for third stage

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietRockets/releases/tag/v2.4

HIyixAs.png

fsATAAd.png

Working on a new upper stage for the Dnepr rocket. The stage is the DU-802 and is intended to make the Dnepr actually USEFUL as a launcher as the upper stage it has now is terribly optimized for non-MIRV payloads. This should make the rocket work better as a satellite launcher in game. So far it is about 60% done being modeled.

cdVkmUA.png

OYpt9bY.png

• 2 weeks later...

I launched an R7 Sputnik and it went well until the boosters were decoupled.

Using MechJeb Ascent Guidance...

It seems like the R7 verniers did wrong, the pitch and roll were okay but the yaw was full left all the time ...

There was a bunch of

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[Propellant].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.UpdateSolver (EngineThermodynamics ambientTherm, Double altitude, Vector3d vel, Double mach, Boolean sIgnited, Boolean oxygen, Boolean underwater) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at SolverEngines.ModuleEnginesSolver.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at RealFuels.ModuleEnginesRF.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename:  Line: -1)

after the boosters were decoupled...

The full log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1mqjmkf1jutl6u/2017-05-20-2 KSP.log.zip?dl=1

Edit:
All right, 2 of the verniers at the core had to be rotated by 90° ... :o

Edited by Gordon Dry

I don't remember the names but it has been the ones fitting the setup, so check the descriptions.

They have tiny "wire frames" which have to point outwards, so "radial  out" of the vessel.

They have to be set twice in 2x radial and two of them were not oriented correctly.

So... im using my phone atm, but im trying to follow historical progression  (RO, RSS, and HistContracts) and im stuck... if anyone can help me out with which parts for which rockets id appreciate it. Just pm me unless its something you think everyone could use.

Btw... ive googled and binged to no avail. And im stuck at sput 2 (wasnt the payload, with laika, supposed to detach and return seperately... by chute?)

27 minutes ago, argentrolf said:

Btw... ive googled and binged to no avail. And im stuck at sput 2 (wasnt the payload, with laika, supposed to detach and return seperately... by chute?)

No it was not, I don't know why everyone thinks this. It did not detach from the core stage and the dog stayed up there until it died from hyperthermia.

Just now, raidernick said:

No it was not, I don't know why everyone thinks this. It did not detach from the core stage and the dog stayed up there until it died from hyperthermia.

i dont know about others, but for me i misunderstood photos and such... i just learned a new thing. do you have anything up that shows which parts are meant for which launch vehicle though? or can you point me to a decent place that uses the same part/series numbering in the mod? i see alot of 107, 108, etc, and thats a tough trail to follow, lol.

In those cases, I browsed wiki and other resources for knowing about the different R-7 subtypes/setups and which booster carried which payload, even the exact engine types.

And by doing this, I understood why the Soyus is still in popular use, after like 70 years!

It indeed is a tough trail, but it is worth every minute learning about it.

Thx Raidernick for keeping the R-7 alive.

I'm not from Russia, but I'll just say that Korolev's soul smirks for a few minutes, each time a KSP player makes a cross with one of your rockets :)

Thanks Raidernick for the recent work updating these realistic mods. These have been rock solid for a long time and have given me a great appreciation for Russian contributions to space exploration. They are challenging to build and fly, but they work exactly they way they were supposed to.

so i havent had a chance to land a soyuz capsule yet... do they have the last-second retrothrusters to soften the landing?

(i keep going boom on reentry... when i actually get into space, that is... kscale and deadly reentry are a rough combo)

Edited by argentrolf

5 hours ago, argentrolf said:

so i havent had a chance to land a soyuz capsule yet... do they have the last-second retrothrusters to soften the landing?

(i keep going boom on reentry... when i actually get into space, that is... kscale and deadly reentry are a rough combo)

IIRC the Soyuz reentry capsules have support for the 'LanderTron' mod.

7 minutes ago, h0yer said:

IIRC the Soyuz reentry capsules have support for the 'LanderTron' mod.

Unlikely considering I have absolutely no idea what that is...

On a side note I don't know what kscale is and since stock introduced dre-like behavior I've removed support for dre so it may or may not work properly with it. I can only guarantee that the parts work in RO not stock or any other modded installs(especially mods I've never even heard of).

6 hours ago, argentrolf said:

If you have the rnmodules plugin that comes with the mod and it works with that version of the game the thrusters should fire 7m off the ground. This seems to be hit or miss though(I can't explain why it doesn't work sometimes), you can always toggle them manually by just staging the pod.

1 hour ago, raidernick said:

Unlikely considering I have absolutely no idea what that is...

On a side note I don't know what kscale is and since stock introduced dre-like behavior I've removed support for dre so it may or may not work properly with it. I can only guarantee that the parts work in RO not stock or any other modded installs(especially mods I've never even heard of).

Hmm, I might have mistaken yours with some elses ones, but there aren't that many available^^

I definitely had some Soyuz capsule, that had a LanderTron-controlled and HTP-powered set of landing thrusters.

LanderTron is a pretty simple nice thing, it does automated high-TWR suicide burns and cuts-off the throttle on contact, ejecting remaining fuel. It perfectly does what a Soyuz does on landfall.

Maybe someone from RealismOverhaul modded in this functionality, I don't know anymore, but I enjoyed having that function^^

EDIT:

It was BobCat's Soyuz^^

May I suggest adding LanderTron support to your capsules too?

Edited by h0yer
Found out something

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.