[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Soviet Probes & Soviet Rockets - R7/N1/Soyuz/Proton/Zenit/Dnepr/Kosmos/Tsiklon - 7-24-21

raidernick

About that flight complications, people complained about...

<HK-47 style bug report>

Observation: Pre-built crafts tend to fly butt-first in mid-air.

Presumption: Drag forces at rocket nose are too high.

Hypothesis: Payload is not protected due to fairings being non-functional.

Commit testing...

9PTSBLt.png

Testing accomplished.

Confirmation: Fairings are positively non-functional.

Request: Fix fairings. Please.

</HK-47 style bug report>

Edited by Dr. Jet

1 hour ago, Cheesecake said:

Do you have Old School Fairings?

Tried both with and without it (including patch from first page). Same thing. Payload is NOT protected.

In fact I've achieved working drag/heat protection in non-closed shape with stock ModuleCargoBay in my own mod.

W19SFp4.png

I think the same can be done with those fairings.

P.S. Unsure if ModuleCargoBay can be controlled by ModuleAnchoredDecoupler though, but it's very likely to be possible.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Soviet Probes UPDATE v2.1

Changelog:

• Update for KSP 1.2 release
  • Remove old dependencies, now only needs BahaSP
  • Add craft files back/updated

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietProbes/releases/tag/v2.1

NOTE: The mod has been updated on CKAN also.

Soviet Rockets UPDATE v2.2

Changelog:

• Update for KSP 1.2 release
  • Remove old dependencies, now only needs BahaSP

https://github.com/KSP-RO/SovietRockets/releases/tag/v2.2

Edited by raidernick

About my previous post. 

ModuleCargoBay can be controlled only by module, containing animation. So AnimatedDecouplers + ModuleCargoBay seems a viable choice to provide working protection to RN clamshell fairings. SDHI used it for protective cap and service bay fairings and they worked fine. The only trouble is AnimatedDecouplers are not yet updated for KSP 1.2.

yaay favourite mod is back in 1.2! Curious, the cost of modules seems to be off for R7. I had it installed with CKAN, then uninstalled it there, deleted files, installed in manually, same issue...

a Venier engine seems to cost 12500, which sounds realistic in $ but not in KSP money...

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = generalRocketry
entryCost = 70
cost = 12500
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = R7 Vernier Engine
manufacturer = RN Industries
description = Vernier engine for use on the booster and core stages of the R7 rocket. Attach in 2X symmetry!

Everything foor the R7 seems to cost 12500 ... Am i doing something wrong? I dont use RO/RP0 (since they are not ready)

2 hours ago, ragusila said:

yaay favourite mod is back in 1.2! Curious, the cost of modules seems to be off for R7. I had it installed with CKAN, then uninstalled it there, deleted files, installed in manually, same issue...

a Venier engine seems to cost 12500, which sounds realistic in $ but not in KSP money...

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = generalRocketry
entryCost = 70
cost = 12500
category = Propulsion
subcategory = 0
title = R7 Vernier Engine
manufacturer = RN Industries
description = Vernier engine for use on the booster and core stages of the R7 rocket. Attach in 2X symmetry!

Everything foor the R7 seems to cost 12500 ... Am i doing something wrong? I dont use RO/RP0 (since they are not ready)

Well of course the cost is off, I have stated so many times I've lost count that I neither support, nor care at ALL about career mode. I copy-pasted all the cost values so the parts would load in game. I have asked so many times if someone wants to configure the costs for career mode but nobody ever wants to help.

I find it hard to believe you have ever used this mod before and only just NOW notice that the costs are wrong, they have been that way since I first released the pack and I've never changed them...

If you want to fix the costs make a PR on the github and I'll include it in the next release, otherwise you'll just have to live with it. It looks like I'll need to add a note about this to the OP since I get asked this same question so often(not like anyone reads the OP though right).

Edited by raidernick

On 10/20/2016 at 7:29 PM, raidernick said:

Well of course the cost is off, I have stated so many times I've lost count that I neither support, nor care at ALL about career mode. I copy-pasted all the cost values so the parts would load in game. I have asked so many times if someone wants to configure the costs for career mode but nobody ever wants to help.

I find it hard to believe you have ever used this mod before and only just NOW notice that the costs are wrong, they have been that way since I first released the pack and I've never changed them...

If you want to fix the costs make a PR on the github and I'll include it in the next release, otherwise you'll just have to live with it. It looks like I'll need to add a note about this to the OP since I get asked this same question so often(not like anyone reads the OP though right).

awesome, thanks for reply. I will probably wait until RO is out, and then try to do a PR. I used the mod before with RO, not without...

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys, after several weeks with the stock version, I believed that I was ready for real overhaul and after several attempts to put into orbit my soyuz or salyut, I failed hahaha. Anyway, I am using the craft files that are included in the RO mod and when I'm flying the soyuz or proton i noticed that flames do not come out of the engine and the rocket seems to be levitating. any idea how to fix it ?. I'm using version 1.1.3 because RO is not yet updated. 

sorry if this question does not belong to this thread, but i use these rockets a lot, they are my favorites, so i considered asking here :D

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, redmonddkgamer said:

How about some craft files? I'd like to see this, trying to build things from the pictures is hard.

Never mind, I found them. However, a Lunokhod or Luna 17 would be great. Someone should revive some of the Lionhead mods, the rovers and landers pack specifically. Maybe Bobcat's Lunokhod, too.

On 9/1/2014 at 6:06 AM, raidernick said:

Updated V0.92.6

-Fixed staging error in luna 2&3 vostok rocket and subassembly. Please replace your old craft and subassembly files with the updated ones.

Ok so as a test project I'm working on the Baikonur launch clamps. So far I have finished clamp R090, there are many many more left to do. Before anyone complains, "oh they didn't stick up that far in real life", you need to realize that the baikonur cosmodrome launch pads have the rockets lowered into a cement pit hanging off a cliff so only the upper half of the rocket is visible. In KSP on the stock launchpad this isn't going to happen so I made the clamps extendable like the stock clamps so you can drag them up and down and they won't "float" at least.

QUFrFcR.png

t1MaS7u.png

Lysjm6b.png

would it be possable to work on that agian because i think it is a cool idea

1 hour ago, kerbinorbiter said:

I don't even have the project files for that anymore. I don't plan to remake it again from scratch as launch clamps are the next hardest thing to get working properly after wheels/landing gear.

On 12/11/2016 at 7:31 PM, kerbinorbiter said:

You kinda can use DECQ's R7 launch clamp, but you would have to adapt it to work with RN's R7 by adding a node in the bottom of the Block A engine and changing the launch clamp's scale to about 1.3
Seems to work fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2016 at 2:28 PM, Marcelo Silveira said:

You kinda can use DECQ's R7 launch clamp, but you would have to adapt it to work with RN's R7 by adding a node in the bottom of the Block A engine and changing the launch clamp's scale to about 1.3
Seems to work fine for me.

what clamp in which pack? O.o

I know he has a Energia tower, but I never saw his R7 tower and I can't seem to find it on his Soyuz pack

• 2 weeks later...

Dear autor! I just install you mod and i am surprised that the parameters of engines and fuel tanks do not match reality. The engine RD-171 thrust should be 8180- kN, and you in 1800 .. At the RD-120 thrust 912 and not 750 as in your fashion. The diameter of the Zenit rocket - 3.9 meters, and you have it is less than the diameter of 3.7m stock tanks! Why is this so?