[0.90.0] Fine Print vSTOCK'D - BETA RELEASE!!! (December 15)

Arsonide

Maybe the way points for Aerial surveys should not be so spread out? Flying hundreds of km on kerbin or eve is nontrivial.

For Kerbin, i would propose to keep long range survey missions up to a range of 400km.... BUT turning them into a seperate mission type (appropriately called "Long-range survey"), and making them pay much better than a normal survey. They finally give fuel efficient long range aircrafts a purpose. Not surveys should favour such crafts, but i would like there to be some survey that need long range atmospheric crafts, AND oneself being paid really well for executing them.

Can you make contracts to map the easter eggs around planets with rovers or build bases nearby?

This mod has a science part that identifies anomalies

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64972-0-24-DMagic-Orbital-Science-New-Science-Parts-V0-8-2-%287-17-14%29

Maybe combined with SCANsat, Fine Print could generate contracts to find "no life and old civilizations" on *beep* or *beed*. :wink:

A minor bug - I took an aerial survey mission on Kerbin which involved going over both poles. Aircraft didn't have enough fuel to reach both of them, so I just went to the North Pole and landed there. Recovered the craft and launched again, but the waypoints I had already flown across on the North Pole appeared again on the map view. Contract finished without issue when I went to the South Pole and got the last waypoint.

That took about 60 minutes ingame time for a relatively minor reward. I'd recommend clustering the waypoints closer together in order for it to feel like a more focused mission. As is, you're basically zig-zagging across the whole planet in a single contract. Maybe have it be a couple of waypoints wihin 300-400km of eachother, then returning to the runway and landing safely?

Thank you for this mod. I've been using (and will continue to use, Mission Controller Extended). Fine Print will add even more variety to the contract mix.

Sent you a forum Rep point as well.

Can you make it so that you can set waypoints as targets? I'm tired of constantly switching from normal to map view, and the waypoints for rover missions are so small I could easily drive past it many times without noticing.

Also, to anyone having difficulty with aerial survey mission: wait until you get the TurboJet Engine, then fly at about 20,000m at about 1500m/s. Time warp as necessary. It should get you through the planet in a relatively short time.

Any chance for life support integration into this mod? Constantly resupplying a mun base that only pays once doesn't seem appealing to me since I use TAC life support. I'd be happy to resupply it if I got a payout each time I did it.

Yes I realize that's a wide orbit for a satellite. :P

molniya orbits are like that.

have you considered adding adding requirements for parts from modpacks?

for example if player has habitat pack installed, he woudl get contracts that sometimes require inflatable parts onboard of station.

also, do you consider using game spawned ships for refuelling stations, rescuing kerbals, studing old probes ( Surveyor ) etc?

and please steal some code from interstellar and make impactor contract :)

Edited by kiwiak

Thank you Arsonide!

I'm excited to try the new updates you've made. These are the types of contracts that I was hopeful would be part of stock .24, but alas all I get are Kerbals stuck in orbit.

Typically that's how missions work, if you cancel one, a lot of the time he will generate a similar one to take it's place. If you have wings unlocked, aerial missions will be offered to you, I think you just got the luck of the draw on getting a lot of them. However, without wing technology they don't show up, I just tested that on my end by starting a new game and going past the tutorials. Are you saying you don't have wings unlocked and they are still popping up?

I'm saying as soon as I start a new game, with only the root tech node unlocked, I get the whole mission roster full with aerial missions. If I decline them, it immediately gets filled up with another aerial mission. I have to decline a lot of them to even see other kinds of missions.

I suggest making those waypoints targetable and fixing waypoints reappearing after quicksaving and quickloading/switching vessels. These are probably tough challenges but you already impressed me with waypoints. (which could be another mod entirely, for making your own waypoints)

I've tested the flight contract: flight to 4 chechpoints automaticly sent data. Contract finished :)

next i will flight with another plane.thats funny testing planes on this way :)

I suggest making those waypoints targetable and fixing waypoints reappearing after quicksaving and quickloading/switching vessels. These are probably tough challenges but you already impressed me with waypoints. (which could be another mod entirely, for making your own waypoints)

The plan for the next patch is to have them clickable to drop them on the navball, as well as some tweaks to mission difficulty. There are also some minor issues that need fixing. No new mission types for the next patch, it's all polish. Should be a day or two.

I'm saying as soon as I start a new game, with only the root tech node unlocked, I get the whole mission roster full with aerial missions. If I decline them, it immediately gets filled up with another aerial mission. I have to decline a lot of them to even see other kinds of missions.

This is definitely not intended behavior. My original code checked for the technology right at the top of the generate function, but right before release I moved it into one of Squad's functions which is supposed to check before the mission even starts generating. I guess it'd be more reliable as the mission is generated. Thank you.

The plan for the next patch is to have them clickable to drop them on the navball, as well as some tweaks to mission difficulty. There are also some minor issues that need fixing. No new mission types for the next patch, it's all polish. Should be a day or two.

Any thoughts on clustering aerial survey missions a bit more?

Any thoughts on clustering aerial survey missions a bit more?

Rover clusters are landlocked, aerial ones are not, but don't cluster. My plan is to use the clustering of the rovers, increase the distance dramatically, and unlock them from land for aerial missions. They should at least be on the same continent, I agree. I'm also considering toning down the amount of points in a rover mission, making them closer together, or both. If I tone down the number of waypoints, I will increase the rewards per waypoint.

EDIT: Fixed waypoints spawning for completed objectives.

Edited by Arsonide

Rover clusters are landlocked, aerial ones are not, but don't cluster. My plan is to use the clustering of the rovers, increase the distance dramatically, and unlock them from land for aerial missions. They should at least be on the same continent, I agree. I'm also considering toning down the amount of points in a rover mission, making them closer together, or both. If I tone down the number of waypoints, I will increase the rewards per waypoint.

I think everything you said here is a great idea.

Aerial surveys definitely should have some significant distance between them, but not 2+ hours RL flight time with a hypersonic jet.

so this is pretty awesome but i'm having some real trouble with one of the types of contracts -- the space station one. specifically, i can't get the second item (Build a new orbital station that has power generation, an antenna and a free docking port) to check off. at first i thought it might be because i was using non-stock solar panels and antennae, so i tried with stock and still no luck. the remaining three are all OK.

ideas?

Thanks for creating this mod, Arsonide, it's added a huge amount to KSP and I've been having a lot of fun playing it.

I agree with your plan above to reduce the number of waypoints / and or cluster them closer together for rover missions, though. Both of the rover missions I've done so far (on Minmus and near Kerbin's north pole) were much easier to do by flying and landing at each waypoint than by driving, because there were so many of them and they were so far apart.

Now, must be going, I've got an asteroid to capture then send into a solar escape trajectory.