Imported InternalSpace configs bloats Unity scene filesize

While working on various add-on packs with a mixture of parts, internals and props in Unity 4.5.2f / PartTools 0.23, I've noticed something peculiar.

- Each of my add-on authoring projects have been compartmentalized into their own Unity scene file (e.g. FusTek Station Parts.unity, SDHI Service Module), so that I can just see/work on the parts/props relevant to my current project.

- Taking my FusTek project for example, I have:

• 23 GameObjects / PartTools scripts for part external models
  • 6 GameObjects / PartTools scripts for internal cabin base models
  • 19 GameObjects / PartTools scripts for internal props

- Thanks to Blender prefabs and texture-sharing, my Unity scene file for FusTek is merely 1.04 MB for all of the above.

- I've successfully created and edited InternalSpaces as well (i.e. CFG that lists what props an internal uses), so I'm reasonably familiar with that too.

- What I've noticed, however, is that importing even a single InternalSpace config into my scene file increases its filesize greatly, and causes Unity to become extremely sluggish. For example:

• Importing ALCORInternals3 (ALCOR pod internal) adds ~260 MB, with most props sharing from a handful of texture atlases
  • Importing PodCockpit (stock KSP Mk1-2 pod internal) adds ~80 MB, with most props having their own unique textures
  • Importing B9_Cockpit_S2_Internal (B9 Aerospace pack S2 cockpit internal) adds ~95 MB
  • Importing K3_S2_Extended (K3_chris's B9 S2 cockpit revamp) adds ~100 MB
  • Importing Internal_KupolaObsModule (FusTek Kupola internal) adds ~15 MB
  • Importing Internal_KuestAirlock (FusTek Kuest Airlock internal) adds ~130 MB, despite the fact that all of the props share the same texture atlas
  • Importing Internal_KarmonyHabModule (FusTek Karmony Habitation module internal) adds a whopping ~1.08 GB, despite the fact that all of the props share the same texture atlas

Has anyone else observed this in their own Unity projects?

• 1 month later...
Tis because the models n textures imported via the plugin are stored in the scene file itself.

Ah, thanks for the explanation.

Are there any alternative methods possible? The current setup is a bit of a show-stopper, since this means for every Internal configuration I want to edit, I would have to import, make my changes, write the config and delete the Internal GameObject before saving to keep file sizes manageable.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, now that my InternalSpaces are getting more props, the current asset loading system is becoming increasingly problematic - specifically, because PartTools loads duplicates of textures and stores them directly in the scene file, my editor often crashes due to running out of memory

My current workaround is to:

- Temporarily remove the prop textures from GameData

- Have the InternalSpace script load just the models (which are less memory and file size intensive)

- Make my changes (e.g. add / edit / remove props)

- Re-export the InternalSpace config

- Close the editor without saving

- Move the prop textures back into GameData

However, I would really appreciate a rework of the PropTools asset loading system.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.